Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a 2019 about 3 months ago. Tires are near end of life and the wear indicates alignment issues. So I took it in for an alignment today and both the left and right rear toe was out of spec. They fixed both of those. But the left rear camber is also out of spec at -1.7 (spec range is -1.3 to 0.3). I've come to learn that there's no camber adjustments available by default and that I'd have to install an adjustment kit to get this fixed. My question is whether it is worth doing this if I'm at -1.7 right now. I'm not sure if the tire wear is due to the toe issue which they fixed or if it's due to the camber.

Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 RL RTL, '05 MDX Touring
I would do what I could to fix it. The CC2s are directional tires and you won't be able to cross-rotate those, so they'll be much more sensitive to alignment than non-directional tires would be. By that, I mean you won't be able to rotate away the directional wear patterns that develop in all tires over time. The more neutral the alignment is (toe, camber, etc.), the less directional wear the tires generally experience. The further away you are from neutral, even if you're still in spec, the more directional wear will be put into the tires that will, over time, contribute to noise, a rough feeling, etc.

If the rear camber spec range is -1.3 to 0.3 degrees, keeping that camber as close to 0 as you can (as well as toe) will probably prolong the life of those tires. The tradeoff is less stable handling in the rear (some negative camber will contribute to rear end stability). It's one of those "no free lunch" deals.

Registered
I'm not sure if the tire wear is due to the toe issue which they fixed or if it's due to the camber.
Oh -- and how far out was the toe? Without knowing how severe it was, it's hard to speculate whether the wear was from the toe or the camber. In truth, both alignment settings probably contributed to it. I'm presuming you're experiencing inner shoulder wear. If both left and right toe was negative (toe out), that would certainly contribute to inner shoulder wear.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice fellow Hokie! Good call on the fact that this will impact directional tires more. Any recommendations on kits to correct this? And/or how-to videos?

Here's the full alignment report:
Product Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

Registered
Thanks for posting that alignment report. Your LR toe was out of spec negative (toe out) and your RR toe was out of spec positive (toe in). I think you'd have had a noticeable drift to the right with that (the rear would want to kick out to the left, turning the car to the right, forcing you to correct with left steering wheel).

Regarding kits, I'm not sure what's available for these 3rd generation Pilots (we've owned ours for only a few weeks, and I haven't even had a rear wheel off to look at what's there). This link seems to suggest a sliding ball joint can be used to influence rear camber. Then this link shows a camber bolt kit for the rear.

I have an adjustable upper control arm kit (similar to this on Amazon) on our '05 MDX to correct excessive negative camber. With an adjustable arm, you can obviously set it to whatever the heck you want it to be -- or plead with your alignment guy to try to hit a certain number for you. It doesn't look like such a device is available for the 3rd gen Pilots.

Hopefully, someone with solid 3rd gen experience will come along to help us out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts