Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Saw one on the road two days ago ... I was blown away ... it is stunning with a very aggressive profile ... looks to compete with the Lexus RX300 and MDX ... the upcoming Infiniti FX45 looks like a real winner. Hats off the Nissan and Infiniti ... quite a comeback with several 1-2 punches in a row, and they keep on coming.

PrG

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Nissan dealer across the street has one parked in the front. I didn't sit inside, just looked through windows. Styling is different but cool. It is only a five seater, so I cannot seeing it compete with anything but Vibe, Matrix, Rav4, CR-V, etc........... 245 HP! with a CVT tranny! I would like to take it out for a beating and see how the tranny "shifts" with 245 horses kicking at it. The biggest astonishment, $34g's with a $2g dealer mark up! Even without the mark up, I still don't see myself paying that much. Heck, the RES Pilot cost $2000 less!

Just my .02

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone notice that the styling is reminicent of the old AMC Gremlin?

It's a nice vehicle but it's a different class versus the Pilot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Saw one

I saw one in black...really stunning. Not to crazy about that rusty orange they use in all the press pictures.

Someone say Gremlin? Well maybe a bit, but times have changed.
What about Pacer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Out of curiosity decided to go look at a Nissan Murano the other day to see how it stacked up against the Pilot. Although I did not get to drive it (this one was already sold) I was really impressed with the innovations Nissan made with this vehicle. It is a very odd vehicle, yet just by sitting in the front, back, and seeing all the features I think this could put up some good competition to the Pilot. It is very roomy/comfortable and has a decent amout of cargo space. Also having Nissan's great 3.5L VQ V-6 and a CVT is a definate plus. The pricing is a little high compared to the Pilot though. Anyway I will try to drive one ASAP, but for now I would like to get any feedback from anyone who has driven one or even sat in one. I really want to know if the CVT tranny is as good as they say.

·
Registered
80 Posts
First off, my local Nissan dealership's salemen are like vultures.

OK...the Murano....looks....uh...HOT in person. It's wheels are HUGE and it's shape is very racy. I was impressed. The interior (except for orange lighting) is really beautiful in the light sand color.

I didn't drive it because I really didn't want to be tempted....because if it drives like it promises, I will have buyers regret. If it were out when I bought my Pilot, I think I would have bought the Murano.

Oh well.....it's so different than the Pilot that I doubt they will truly compete. If anything, the Murano will scalp RX 300 sales.

Dallas

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice looking vehicle. but what is a morono?( opps i mean) murano anyway? Amazing the names these guys make up . like leganza thats surely some sort of bean. .Im off to the site to check towing capacity.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have to admit...if I didn't need all the space that the Pilot offers, I might have seriously considered the Nissan. Love those VQ engines and mating the 240HP to a CVT is way cool. I MUST test drive one!!

I had an '89 Maxima that would've rusted out before that 3.0 V6 engine would've died! I had 200K+ miles on it when it finally had to go due to exhaust manifold. And my Pilot!!

But...I STILL love my Pilot!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
ok then i guess im am the morono here. i read the article and it seems to be named after italian glass. i still think leganza is a bean

·
Registered
138 Posts
IMO, I don't think Nissan really intended to have the Murano go up against the Pilot. Seems like to me they are shooting for the single person, or married w/ no children, RX300 type buyers, as well as folks who might even be considering a 4 dr sedan.

Nissan also has the next generation Quest, as well as a full size SUV in the works and don't forget about the Pathfinder. They might go after the Pilot demographic with those 3 offerings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was set on getting a Pilot (probably still will), then I drove the Milano. This makes it a tough descision.

Milano:

+ Sportier
+ Heated seats / memory and adjustable pedals
+ Sunroof
+ Heated outside mirrors and steering wheel
+ Bose stereo
+ Smaller
+ Comfortable
+ You can put stuff on top of the dashboard
+ Better gas mileage with higher HP
- CD based NAV
- Higher price
- Major blind spots in rear corners

Pilot:

+ It's a Honda!
+ Cool center console storage / shifter on column
+ Better DVD based NAV system (next year anyway)
+ Good price and resale value
- Too big
- Not so great gas mileage
- No sunroof

·
Registered
138 Posts
deanbert said:
I was set on getting a Pilot (probably still will), then I drove the Milano. This makes it a tough descision.

Milano:

+ Sportier
+ Heated seats / memory and adjustable pedals
+ Sunroof
+ Heated outside mirrors and steering wheel
+ Bose stereo
+ Smaller
+ Comfortable
+ You can put stuff on top of the dashboard
+ Better gas mileage with higher HP
- CD based NAV
- Higher price
- Major blind spots in rear corners

Pilot:

+ It's a Honda!
+ Cool center console storage / shifter on column
+ Better DVD based NAV system (next year anyway)
+ Good price and resale value
- Too big
- Not so great gas mileage
- No sunroof
I still haven't seen a Murano. None of the Nissan Dealers around here seem to have any yet. However, for more money you do get a little more in features. Ex., fog lights, 18" tires, etc. Also, the Murano doesn't have a third row seat.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The Murano looks much better in person. I saw my first one yesterday, an SL model.

There's not a whole lot out on the Murano 4WD system, but it is supposed to be similar to the Pilot's. One thing I have noticed while reading at other sites, is that from a stop, it does not direct power to the rear wheels like VTM-4 does. :cool: This feature is nice in slippery conditions as you have more traction from the start.

The Murano does offer a skid control system (VDC) in addition to 4WD, but you have to get almost every option to get it.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I drove a Murano SL yesterday ....standby for my thoughts! :)

Exterior design:
A subjective catagory no doubt, but IMHO I think the Murano looks fantastic. Huge wheels, fogs, mean headlights..etc. This car shows why Honda should have had bigger wheels and fogs on the Pilot.... not to mention alittle chrome. Door handles anyone? The Pilot is handsome, but the Murano is sexy. You decide. One thing I hate about the Murano and MANY other cars......no sidedoor rub strips. I'd HAVE to add some so that dings wouldn't appear as I drove off the lot.

Interior design:
Again subjective. The Murano is definately more eye catching....for good and bad. The good is the adventurous design....floating center stack....modern design ambiance. However a few things fall short compared to the plainer Pilot. First, the orange insruments are horrid. Audi,Pontiac, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Porsche etc....ya'll have it all wrong. Red/Yellow/Orange hemmorage and are harsh on the eyes. I can rarely ever use those colors on small letters for the designs I do for TV because they vibrate and bleed. Bad decision Nissan. Also, the chiclet buttons for windows, radio etc have a cheaper feel than Honda's. On the flip side, Nissan has rubberized knobs for climate control. These are easier to use than the Pilot's. In general the Pilot's AC controls aren't as intuitive as most Hondas. Give me the CR-V's rotary controls anyday. Interior plastics are a mixed bag too. Honda's mostly feel high quality, but still too many hard surfaces abound (the vertical dash panel, the upper parts of the door panels). The Murano had some hard plastics too, but they felt alittle hollow in places but better than Honda's in others. The door handles were much nicer in the Pilot, but the shifter in the Nissan was cool. Real aluminum trim in the Murano is cool, but it's thin and aftermarket looking....plus, it scratches just like plastic could. SO...overall I'd say the Murano is definately more stylish, but the Honda has an edge in substance. The Pilot has more cubby space. It's a toss up, but I thinkI'd LIKE to be in the Murano's interior more than in the Pilot's.

Drivetrain:
Ok...the Murano is weird. The CVT was very odd, but I'm sure I'd get used to it and may prefer it in time. The Pilot definately hunts and kicksdown more than I'd like, but it doesn't make me go all fetal. Engine wise, I don't know....I didn't drive it fast or hard enough to tell, but from all accounts I'd say Nissan's VQ engines are their best asset. The Pilot ain't hurting either. It's another toss up, but the Murano FEELS more sporty.

Screwed together:
Listen, we all know a Honda is a Honda, but I've had some rattle issue that are bugging me. That said, the Nissans showed abit of fit and finish issues from one Murano to the other. One had a loose console and misaligned interior door panel. I'd definately feel the need to inspect a Murano before purchase. I'd inspect the Honda too, but mainly to see if it had been damaged by someone and not expecting any factory defect. Advantage Honda.

So what would I buy right now. Probably the Murano. I miss the sportiness and coolness of my C70 and the Murano would satisfy me on an emotional level. However, I'd worry less about the Pilot and LOVE the cargo capacity. If the Murano had better interior lighting and nicer plastics, I think I wouldn't think twice about getting it. Especially since you can get one WAY WAY cheaper at Carmax than at a Nissan dealership.

Oh well, I have the Pilot and I like it......but Honda better fix my issues soon or I'll be in something else.

Dallas

1 - 20 of 29 Posts