Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess the honeymoon is finally over. At just about 14 months post-purchase, and after only 17,000 miles, the original battery on my Pilot wimped out -- big time!

There was absolutely no warning. I was running errands during my lunch hour and stopped at a hardware store. When I came out a few minutes later and tried to start the Pilot... nothing.

Nada - zip - zilch.

My first thought was that this might be the fail-to-start problem that some others have had. But no matter how long I waited between attempts, it became apparent that the battery was almost entirely without power.

I was finally able to start it using jumper cables, but only after allowing the battery to charge for about 15 minutes before attempting to start the engine.

The battery was later replaced by the dealer (under warranty, thankfully), but I am still concerned that this could happen with an almost-new vehicle. I'm hoping that it was just a fluke.

Has anyone else had battery problems with their Pilots (or other new Hondas)?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
ChiefPilot said:

The battery was later replaced by the dealer (under warranty, thankfully), but I am still concerned that this could happen with an almost-new vehicle. I'm hoping that it was just a fluke.

Has anyone else had battery problems with their Pilots (or other new Hondas)?
Have heard of a few bad batteries.
Welcome to the global ecomnomy where are Honda engines are strten with Delco bateries!:eek:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: Original Battery Died

N_Jay said:

Have heard of a few bad batteries.
Welcome to the global ecomnomy where are Honda engines are strten with Delco bateries!:eek:
well cheap battery keeps the car sticker price down and thus makes it more attractive to the buyer

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
ChiefPilot said:
...Has anyone else had battery problems with their Pilots (or other new Hondas)?
This would not be categorized as a "Honda problem". Any battery can die like this at any time if two of the cells short together. If the battery takes a good physical shock, a cell can shift. And with any manufacturing process, you could always just have the one that had a defect.

Higher quality batteries have dampers between the cells to prevent shorting and tend to lost longer and cost more.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Original Battery Died

tim.s said:
This would not be categorized as a "Honda problem". Any battery can die like this at any time if two of the cells short together. If the battery takes a good physical shock, a cell can shift. And with any manufacturing process, you could always just have the one that had a defect.

Higher quality batteries have dampers between the cells to prevent shorting and tend to lost longer and cost more.
Agree - any battery can fail at any time. I have had an OEM battery last 7+ years in a Honda motorcycle that was subject to all sorts of temperature extremes. Often times the bike was not even started for 2-3 weeks in sub-freezing weather. I've also had other batteries last less than 2 years.

YMMV

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
The last time I had a battery die, it was a Panasonic battery in a new Toyota. It came with a 36 month warranty. The battery died within 2 days of the 3rd anniversary of taking delivery of the vehicle.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Original battery died

Had a 1997 Chevy Blazer, this vehicle went through 4 batteries in the 6 years I owned it. All had a bad cell that would ultimately short the battery out. Battery's come in one of two types, those that die when you need them or those that die after you trade the vehicle off. Hope you have better luck with your replacement battery.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My rule of thumb for Aridzona heat is that a battery in the engine compartment will only last 2 years, max. Doesn't matter if it's a 7 year battery or not. Heat kills batteries. Delcos seem to be particularly susceptible to this phenomenon, I went through three batteries in my Chevy S10 before the warrantee was up (3 years).

My VW Vanagon, on the other hand, has the battery in the passenger compartment under the front seat. I'm on my third battery in 15 years in it.

:9: Delco

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: Recharging

kemosabe said:
Cute... something a kid would ask!!! :2:
Folks: his depth of material knows no bounds! :eek:

--Bret

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've had pretty good success using a Battery Tender (www.batterytender.com) for both motorcycle and automobile batteries...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ours has a Delphi battery in it.
But...knowing the extremely stupid, IMNSHO, method Honda uses to charge and discharge the battery continuosly while driving I'd expect much much shorter battery life than is typical in a vehicle with a normal charging system. Honda supposedly turns the alternator off under certain conditions, to improve fuel economy, thereby using battery power to keep the car alive. Lessee...save $25 worth of gas but ruin a $50 battery prematurely....yep makes sense to me:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
hmmm.....

Funny you should mention this ChiefPilot. On Wednesday I went to unlock mine and nothing happened. I looked down at the remote and yep, the little red light was on. Hmmmm, so I thought maybe it was a program problem with the remote and used the key to open the door. Put the key in the ignition and tada...nothing happened. Well, almost nothing. All my gauges started acting crazy!!!

Okay so I go to jump out and what do I see? I left the light switch on the night before. At first I was mad thinking "I thought these things were suppose to shut off after 10 minutes even if I forget them on", then I got mad at myself for forgetting to shut them off:1pat:

I opened the hood and there was a clicking sound coming from the left side where the fuses are. I took the fuses out and even tapped on it and nothing happened except the horn tutted when I tapped the box. I was given free roadside assistance for 5 yrs through Rick Case so I called them and they were here in 10 minutes. I was surprised it was that fast. So I tell the guy not sure what is wrong, because now when I look at the battery I see a green light. He kinda giggled at me and said that just means there is water in the battery. Didn't I feel like an a$$.

So he hooks up his little yellow box to my battery and the Pilot started right away. He checked the battery before he did that and said it was down to 9 volts. After I started the engine I noticed that the check engine light was on for about an hour while I drove around. As I started to make my way to the dealer, the light shut off so I just went home. I have had no problems since. Just thought it was funny how you just had the same problem. Maybe its the S. Florida sun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Battery

Had one experience of an ALMOST dead battery. I had my front speakers replaced at the audio shop... When I went to pick it up, I tested the new improved sound for a couple of minutes (aahhh Kappa)... made sure the windows still went up/down, door locks worked, etc. All the while, my climate control system was blasting away. All this took less than 3 minutes. I then realized I hadn't started the car yet.

I tried to start the car and I saw the instrument panel freaking out and the engine barely started.

Haven't had the low battery problem since.

I checked the battery "eye" and it was black.

Drove it a couple weeks.. still black.

At the dealership last week for an oil change, the tech said the charge and water level were fine. Could not explain the black eye. Maybe just one cell is bad?

Anyway, I agree... Likely a cheap battery!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Battery

davedela said:

I checked the battery "eye" and it was black.

Drove it a couple weeks.. still black.

At the dealership last week for an oil change, the tech said the charge and water level were fine. Could not explain the black eye. Maybe just one cell is bad?

So, did the dealer offer you a new battery? If one cell is "bad" - as in "dead", the battery will not indicate a correct charge.

:confused:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Dead battery

I have notice over the last twenty years of car ownership, that the new maintenance free batteries do not last more than 3 years maximum.
My Chevy Blazer had daylight running lights and it went through batteries every 16 months. As the others have posted heat, extreme temperature differences wreck havoc on these new batteries. I do remember that about the time maintenance free batteries came out, that battery manufactures change several of the materials that they used in battery construction. However, I do not remember what was changed however. :25:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Dead battery

rockman19762001 said:
I have notice over the last twenty years of car ownership, that the new maintenance free batteries do not last more than 3 years maximum.
My Chevy Blazer had daylight running lights and it went through batteries every 16 months. As the others have posted heat, extreme temperature differences wreck havoc on these new batteries. I do remember that about the time maintenance free batteries came out, that battery manufactures change several of the materials that they used in battery construction. However, I do not remember what was changed however. :25:
That said, the maintenance free battery that came in my 1991 ST1100 lasted 7 + years - operating in temps from over a 100 to sub-zero. The headlight is on at all times on a MC, which would be more of a load that DRL's.

So - YMMV

:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
A new battery from my dealer?

Nope... The dealer didn't offer to replace the battery. Said there was nothing wrong with the battery, except the "eye-color".

I figure I'll have to wait for it to die within warranty period. If it lasts 3 years/36k mi. , I guess I can't complain...

·
Registered
260 Posts
The two batteries that came in my 96 Ford Pickup were replaced at 7 years because I got nervous about their age. They went into a diesel generator at work and just now died, 2 months short of 8 years old. They were Motorcraft maintenance free.

BTW the charge eyes are notoriously unreliable. My less than year old batteries in the pickup have a "dead" eye on one. The battery is fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oddly enough, my battery just went out over the weekend. drove 60 highway miles stopped for gas and on restart attempt got nothing but clicking sounds and instrument needle flutter. Wouldn't jump either. Iwasn't patient enough to wait 15 minutes. Assumed it was a computer problem and had it towed back to the dealer who just called and said the battery wasn't holding a charge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts