Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this...

I have two dealers I really like which offering great deals and are about same distance from my house in opposite directions

When I talked to one dealer he made a suggestion to order from both of them and buy from whoever can get it first. I thought that would be a great idea so I agreed, and I asked him to go ahead and put me on their list waiting for new car. I gave him a small deposit with an agreement that he would refund if the other dealer found my car first.

I brought it up to the other dealer but he said he needed to talk to his manager about it and hasn't gotten back to me yet.

So before this guy gets back to me (tomorrow sometime) do you think this is an ok thing to do or am I putting myself or them in a bad situation? The first dealer didn't think much of it and seemes like he's done this before- the other dealer was a little hesitant and unsure, so thats why he wanted to talk to his manager. What do you think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds fine as long as you've already negotiated price with each dealer. If you don't have a price in writing, you may lose some leverage once the car arrives.

Sounds like one salesman is used to a high volume approach (and losing a sale to a competitor now and then) while the other is not as experienced/comfortable with the prospect of taking and possibly having to return a deposit. Or maybe he/she is one of those salespersons who thinks they're doing you a big favor by agreeing to sell you such a popular model. If this is the case--and they fear competition from other dealers--forget #2.

But if #2 agrees, get your best negotiated prices in writing and go for it. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, TheRanger
I had lurk in this forum for a couple months already. I am also from NYC and really want to buy one in the next month or so. I had read a couple of your posts and get an idea where you can get your deals from. Can you PM me the deals you got and the dealers name etc. Maybe we can get even better deal if we buy two? Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ordering from multiple dealers sounds good as long as you feel comfortable getting your refund back from the one's you cancel your order.
When I placed my order, the dealer took $500 deposit and told me upfront that if I cancel my order for some reason he will refund only 50%.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Multiple orders

There may be only one problem.... by putting deposits on multiple incoming vehicles you shrink the available pool for the next potnetial buyer to choose from and give the next potential buyer less bargaining room as the pool is less and the dealer can command more. It may not matter to the first purchaser, but I don't think that I would want to be the next guy in line. In a personal example, we called multiple dealers in our hunt for our Pilot and ended up getting the best deal from one dealer on a unit he had to swap in. Upon picking up the vehicle and looking at the window sticker, it ends up that it had come from one of the other area dealers that I had called and gotten an MSRP intial quote from. Had I started to haggle with him and placed a deposit, I would have taken it out of the hands of the dealer that I got the best deal from, even after swapping it in...sometimes we can try to be too smart for our good...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently was in your situation. though not on purpose. One had an
'04 Midnight Blue Pearl EXL w/ Res coming in about 2 weeks before the other Dealer, though the 2nd dealer's was w/o Res, which I didn't have a strong opinion on since I knew I could put in aftermarket. I had put the deposit on the 1st one before I went to the second, where I was offered a better deal both on price and trade-in and also put deposit. Of course when I went to cancel, they bettered their deal, which of course, the second dealer matched and was giving better price on my fog lights and lower trim. Again went to cancel w/ 1st dealer, only to find out vehicle had arrived that day. Since my trade-in was having some issues that I was concerned w/ and wanting my new Pilot ASAP, I instead called second dealer to cancel. Talk about doing everything possible to keep sale!! Was going to drop price another $300, and was swapping to get car coming in week sooner and going to deliver to my house and drive back trade in (about 40miles!) I had a hard time saying Thanks but no Thanks. Moral of this long story is that even though you are getting great deal already, having this kind of leverage with the other dealer once it comes in doesn't hurt!
Good Luck!
:4:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sure fire way to get deposit returned

I had an experience like this a few years ago.

Put a deposit down on a car but when I got home the wife went ballistic on that brand. Went back the next day and the dealer refused to cancel the order and return my deposit. So.....

I waited two months then went back to the dealer and told them I was there to pick up my car and presented the receipt for my deposit. Naturally the car had been sold so they had to refund my deposit..... :p

JJ

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input, guys.

I went ahead and put a deposit with both dealers. The second dealer only asked for a $100 deposit which was pretty cool. He called me later that night and said he might have a car for me, as a dealer swap. Next day he calls again to confirm so I tell him I'll take it. It's manufacture date is 11/17 so he said I can get it by the first week of December if all goes well. I told him to call me with a VIN as soon as it's available so I can confirm it.

Meanwhile, a call to the first dealer to get my depsoit back went pretty smoothly. Naturally he had come upwith a surprise offer of a car off his lot currently, with the sport package accessories at no extra cost, but the problem is the vehicle was a demo vehicle, and god knows what I did to the car I test drove. Can't imagine what others do. And anyway the discount offered for that demo car was no better then regular dmeo car diso****s. But he was a nice person and I had no problem getting my deposit back.

Now I'm just waiting for my Pilot to complete it's assembly and ship to PA when I can pick it up! :2:

(The purchase will be from Faulkner Honda in Harrisburg)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, TheRanger
Thanks for your email and congrat for your new pilot. I had a question about your pilot from PA. I had read somewhere from this fourm that Honda ships two kinds of pilot regarding the emission level (ULEV vs LEV). NY, MA and a couple other states will get the ULEV and all others include PA will get LEV. Do you had any thought about buying out of NY as far as emission level concern?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Help! I'm having trouble with my conscience

I need some advice ASAP on how to handle a situation I'm in:

The bottom line question is, should I respond to a phone call and email from a dealer I was fully intending to buy a Pilot from, but did not? If so, what should I tell her?

Background: I took the shotgun approach via email to get quotes on a Pilot recently. The best price for an in-stock EX-L with Navi came from dealer Y. She and I discussed the vehicle in depth over several emails and phone calls, I got a firm price with VIN and everything.

Then the stupidest thing happened: a light bulb went on in my brain (imagine that! LOL) and I realized Sage Brush isn't Sandstone. Well, duh, and no offense to those with Sage Brush, but I really didn't want that dark of a color as I've been driving a dark vehicle for the past 14 years and had been looking forward to something lighter (but not white or silver). Don't ask me how I spent a couple of days solid thinking dealer Y and I were talking about a light-colored car, but that's what happened. (Ok, you didn't ask but I think it's because I didn't refresh my memory about colors after having done all my research a few months ago. Since then, I've been working wayyyy too many hours because of an energy-sucking, life-force draining situation with one of my staff, which has caused little 'blips' like this in other areas, too.... but I digress...)

I realize it sounds shallow to get all hung up about color but I did. I plan on living with this car for a long time, not to mention I was plunking down hard-earned and hard-saved cash for it. I decided to do some deep thinking to recenter myself and think about what I really wanted, without letting any feelings of obligation or other people's opinions get in the way. I decide I'd take the Sage Brush (ho hum), but really would prefer the Sandstone (not ho hum -- I could feel the neurons firing with joyful abandon whenever I thought about it, LOL).

Tuesday afternoon I'm all set to close the deal with dealer Y and get the Sage Brush. Uh oh, it's getting dark and stormy. Don't want to deal with bad weather (we had a hellacious wind and rain storm) and a new-vehicle check in the dark, so I decide to wait 'til morning. Dealer acknowledges this and tells me she'll see me tomorrow, "unless the car sells tonite." This causes me to have visions of Pilots flying off the lot like the old screensaver toasters with wings. This also causes me to get slightly annoyed with her for not offering to hold it overnight. Good grief, it's not like she'd have trouble unloading it if the deal with me falls through.

Later in the evening to pass the time I review my notes from all the dealers I've had responses from to see who, if anyone, might have a Sandstone EX-L with navi. There's one possibility but his offer was pretty high and he hadn't returned the two phone calls and email I'd made/sent.

The next morning (yesterday), we wake up, get dressed and ready to get our new car. I call dealer Y, she confirms the car is still there unsold, I tell her I'm on my way.

While getting my coat on, I decide to call the dealer with the Sandstone one last time. Lo and behold, he answers the phone. Tells me he's been sick (and sounded like it). He's there, and he's willing to match dealer Y's price (having been out sick a few days, he's probably hungry for a sale). One problem: he doesn't actually have the Sandstone, and the dealer who does have it is dragging his feet about a swap -- says he has a customer he thinks is interested in it (I'm thinking -- oh great, it's probably me! I just shot myself in the foot!). He then tells me who this other dealer is, but says it will be at least 4 p.m. before he knows if he can do the swap.

I'm ready to get my car now -- the weather has cleared but another storm is rolling in later in the evening -- so I called this other dealer, the one he said had the Sandstone. Dealer E confirms he has it, even gives me the VIN. He's willing to match dealer Y's price. That seals it -- I tell him I'm on my way. This is the car I bought.

But I get home with my new Sandstone Pilot, and dealer Y has left a phone message and emails saying she's concerned something happened to me (she's 40 miles to the north mostly via a rural, 2-lane highway) on my way to her dealership. I think her concern for my welfare is sincere, in part because of Blood Alley but also because we discovered a very slight connection: her husband works for the same agency I do, and although I don't know him I'm sure some of my staff in that (small/fairly remote) location do.

I feel I owe it to her to respond. If she digs at all she'll find out I have a Pilot. I have an unusual last name and a fairly visible position at work -- wouldn't take her husband much time to find out. Another thing is that dealership is close to my office in that area and to my ex-law's house, and is probably the most convenient dealership to take the car in for service. It is pretty unlikely she'd not discover me (or the car, with my name attached) there at some point or another.

Are dealers able to find out via DMV records or sales reports what vehicles specific individuals own, and if so, the date of purchase?

Nonetheless, should I tell her the truth? Should I have a conscience-ectomy? Aaahh! I hate moral dilemmas. You know, the only sliver of anything that makes me not feel quite so bad is that piece of bait she threw me about "if it doesn't sell tonight." But that could just be my conscience trying to worm my way out of this.

I'd like to take the high road and tell her the truth. No!, I'd rather lie and not tell her I'm a scoundrel! Or just ignore her (at least in the short term). No!, I can't lie; I don't want more stuph on my conscience! I need to put this away cleanly.

Ok, enough blathering... If you've managed to read all this, thanks for your patience. :)

Signed me, a fretting and not-so-
MellowMama
:(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Help! I'm having trouble with my conscience

MellowMama said:
.... The best price for an in-stock EX-L with Navi came from dealer Y. She and I discussed the vehicle in depth over several emails and phone calls, I got a firm price with VIN and everything.
....Dealer acknowledges this and tells me she'll see me tomorrow, "unless the car sells tonite." This causes me to have visions of Pilots flying off the lot like the old screensaver toasters with wings.
... He's willing to match dealer Y's price. That seals it -- I tell him I'm on my way. This is the car I bought.
...I feel I owe it to her to respond. If she digs at all she'll find out I have a Pilot.
:(
There is not ethical issue with any of this.

At no time did any of these various dealers "hold" a car for you.
You did not ask, force or have any dealer make an investment in holding a vehicle in inventory or incurring any real cost.
You owe them nothing.

YOU CAN bet "your" vehicle with "dealer y" was offered for sale and would have been sold to another buyer at any point in this process.

ALL dealers will list, even promised and deposit insured, vehicles by vin on their websites up until the moment you take full delivery. that is only fair to them as you could drop dead, lose financing, get into a spouse argument or decide to buy a two-seater at any time.

you dealer"y" had that "promised" pilot for sale to anyone at any time during this process.

They were not unethical in that and you were not unethical in buying another. simply tell the dealer "y" by email you got a different deal and now have a pilot. they will have no interest, negative or positive, in you whatsoever at that point.

the dealer took no opportunity cost (holding a vehicle at a low sales price and denying higher sales price to another buyer based on a promise to you) or inventory cost (sitting on a $30k investement with no return). their salesperson time cost is part of the cost of doing business and not a real issue

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dealer Dilemma

If this was a business deal, I would say that you were a little less than above board with Dealer Y. But this is the car business and that is how they do business. 90% of the time, they are the ones pulling the fast one on you; this time it worked the other way.

As noted above, this car will be sold within a week, so no money is lost. Unfortunately, you have a conscience, which is exactly what the dealers prey upon. Fortunately, you also have common sense, and you recognized that for a $32000+ investment, the most important thing is for you to be happy with the purchase. You did the right thing.

Now, I would send an e-mail apologizing for the last-minute change of plans because you discovered the color you really wanted was available elsewhere. Thanking the rep at dealer Y profusely for her tremendous effort and assistance, show appreciation for her professionalism and indicate that you will recommend her to your friends who are looking to buy. You might also tell her you were so impressed with the dealership that you will be bringing your car there for service. Finally, if you are not nauseous by now for laying it on so thick, make sure you get the sales manager and owner's e-mail addresses and copy them on the e-mail. That should leave a good taste in her mouth to help offset the emptiness in her commission check.

Once you push the "Send" button, don't ever give it another thought. The length of your e-mail and your consternation to this point was more than enough to soothe your guilty conscience.

Now get out there and drive in those storms - have some fun!!! :roadtrip:

P.S. - You made the right color choice - it is truly awesome to behold!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Help! I'm having trouble with my conscience

FWIW, I'm with Geo on this one. You did not have any binding contract with any of these dealers and you were still formerly in the "shopping" mode.

Besides, you got the better color out of the deal!!! IMNSHO

Good luck and post some pics!!

:)
:needpics:

·
Registered
92 Posts
How good of a deal did you get on you Navi Pilot?

Looking to buy in the next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts