Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 EX-L with the dual CD & DVD player and premium sound system (non NAV). I would like to add a carplay head unit to the vehicle and retain full use of my speakers, sub and steering wheel audio controls. What are my options?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been looking into it for my 2009 EX-L. Best options I have found are below. These fit into existing space without any modification to surrounding trim. I'm not interested in one that requires mods. These all have floating screens. Can get spendy.

Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX, DMH-WT7600NEX, DMH-WT8600NEX
Alpine ILX-F259, ILX-F309
Sony XAV-X8000

there are some others. A few off-brands direct from china that are a little less, but not sure I'm comfortable with those for warranty reasons

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, for the information. @Daltongang, on that $150 option, does it just use the car's audio input jack? And it comes on automatically when the car is started or do you have to turn it on and off?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys, for the information. @Daltongang, on that $150 option, does it just use the car's audio input jack? And it comes on automatically when the car is started or do you have to turn it on and off?
after reading the info on the link he provided it's definitely not plug and play. I considered this option but just seems too clunky to use as a daily solution. Plus I'd have to get a tablet and figure out where to mount it...probably better suited for a car already running Android with a decent size screen

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
867 Posts
after reading the info on the link he provided it's definitely not plug and play. I considered this option but just seems too clunky to use as a daily solution. Plus I'd have to get a tablet and figure out where to mount it...probably better suited for a car already running Android with a decent size screen
Agreed, looks pretty clunky to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I'm pretty intrigued with the option of Android + a wireless carplay adapter. If it can be set up so that its pretty much plug and play (after the initial install and setup), for around $100 bucks, I'm in. I can get a used Fire 8 tablet for about $40 bucks on my local Facebook marketplace, and I'm seeing wireless carplay adapters starting at $60-80 bucks.

My only question is how and where to mount the tablet. Perhaps there is a mount option that takes advantage of one of the CD or DVD slots?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I don't have the Nav screen so will this still work? Here is my radio config >>>

View attachment 134623
I would say for sure that you wouldn't get screen mirroring... you'd have to call NavTool to see what, if any, functionality you would gain. I've used there systems before to install bluetooth in Hondas that didn't have bluetooth and they have been excellent.

·
Registered
342 Posts
NavTool will not work for you.

Are you SURE you got a premium system? (The one with 10 speakers and a separate amplifier box)? If you don't have Nav or RES, I am about 99% sure you got a regular 7-speaker setup where
head unit is the amp.

Your options:
1. Use this bracket kit to install a single DIN system with a floating screen, such as Aline Halo9 or Sony XAV-X8000

2. Get the bracket kit from option 1 and mutilate it a bit, so you can squeeze in a double DIN system. It can be a regular 7" screen, or you can get something with larger floating screen, like this:
Note that if you get a larger screen, it should hide the fact that your dash and your head unit are not exactly a match.
Frankly, I would rather go for option 1 cause you would be getting a more reputable brand.

3. Get one of those 'vehicle specific' Android units.

If you want to keep using stock speakers, you need to get a small subwoofer amp like this:
Or you can upgrade your sub to something better, in which case you have to get a better amp.
I put 70W Focal 2-way speakers in my doors and an 8" shallow mount 300W Kicker in place of the horrid 50W OEM 'sub'. All of it powered by RockFord Fosgate R600X5 amp. Sounds awesome.

If you want to install rear camera, you will need to run its wires from your tailgate to the dash.

If you want full steering wheel control, I recommend Maestro. This is where option 1 shines most - Maestro has good support from prime head unit brands such as Alpine, Pioneer, Sony. You can go for the 'SW' cheaper unit which only gets you steering wheel controls. Or you can go for an 'RR' model which plugs into your ODBC2 port and your head unit iDataLink port. Then you can have access to various engine stats via head unit. Unfortunately, Honda does not support climate controls via iDataLink.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
NavTool will not work for you.

Are you SURE you got a premium system? (The one with 10 speakers and a separate amplifier box)? If you don't have Nav or RES, I am about 99% sure you got a regular 7-speaker setup where
head unit is the amp.
Yes, I believe so. I have the EX-L with RES (is this available as non premium?). I have the Pop down DVD screen in the headliner just in front of the rear seats. There are audio controls and inputs available for rear seat passengers on the back side of the center console.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@scorrpio, thanks VERY much for the help! That was exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still very tempted just to try the Android/Fire Tablet method to start and see what I can do for cheap without pulling the head unit. My only question is how/where to mount the Fire tablet and how it gets its power. Perhaps just via USB I suppose, then running the 3.5mm Audio into the car, I use the full sound system and existing steering wheel control as is.

If I don't like it, I can always spring for a head unit replacement but by that time, I'll probably get a newer SUV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
An update. Much progress!

OK, I picked up an 8" Fire HD tablet as well as a 7" Google Nexus (Nexus 7 Gen 2) as test platforms for my "Affordable Carplay" experiment.

I like the way the Nexus 7 looks a bit better so I'm working with that - and most importantly, its a near exact perfect fit in the upper center dash area wedged between the top and bottom of that open area.

I also picked up a "Wireless Carplay Adapter" dongle from Amazon by Carlinkit. This is the key to the system. For about $80 bucks, it gives you wireless carplay to virtually any device that runs Android. Both the Fire HD 8 and the Nexus 7 fit the bill in this regard.

Here here some picks of the work in progress:

The good news is I have Carplay running for around $120 ($80 for the wireless adapter, $40 for the tablet off Ebay).

Now, the next set of tasks I have are:

(1) Find a way to secure the tablet into position in the upper center console area (as it appears in the first couple of pics above). Currently I just have it wedged in there and it appears that its about the right size that it will stay put. I'm going to go for a drive later to confirm. I may need to fabricate a rubber foot for it to slide into there.

2) Now that I have a location for the tablet, I'll need to power it, Ideally by installing a factory look USB port inside that upper display area where the tablet is, I could then plug in the power behind the tablet and it would look clean and hide the wires. Any ideas?

I'm looking to tap power somewhere in that area, and install a double USB port there. Alternately, I could maybe run a USB from the cigarette lighter adapter and snake the cord up under the dash somehow, perhaps in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have to complete this project.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Currently I have a thin, flexible, long analog audio cable running from the tablet under the dash and into the center console audio input. Bluetooth would be cleaner but perhaps at the expense of some audio quality. I don't like the idea of "wires" at all, but the tablet has to be connected to power if its going to be permanently attached to the car. I'll be hiding those cords so I'll probably be the only one even knows they are there.

The only concern I have is losing sightlines to the info display for temperature and volume. i suppose I should be able to connect to the ODB and have an app on the tablet that would overlay the carplay on demand (or maybe via a "Hey Google" call) to show that information on the tablet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since the carplay adapter is the "wireless" version (costs about $30 more than the "wired" version), the iPhone does not have to leave your pocket if you don't want it to. You can get in the car, start it up, and the tablet connects to your phone automatically and starts playing where it left off.

The car does not have bluetooth, so to run wireless audio from the tablet (or the phone itself) to the audio system, I'd have to add a bluetooth interface/adapter to the audio input or to the head unit somehow. Open to suggestions there as well as if there exists a USB socket that can replace the 12 volt lighter socket next to the glovebox. I'd reroute that behind the dash and up to where the tablet is for a cleaner power source tap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i added bluetooth to my EX-L. I assume i can use it in a similar set up as you just not sure which device i would connect. for instance when i get a call, is the audio being generated by the ipad or the iphone?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: My "affordable carplay" project is coming right along. I've now found where I'm going to mount the Nexus tablet and I currently have it dry fit and it won't budge after several trips over the bumpy pothole filled roads left over from our neighborhood's gas pipeline project (that's another story).

Here are a few pics of the tablet wedged between the two dash cover plates on either side of the radio. As soon as I mark lines and cut out the space where the tablet corners will fit in behind the cover plates, I'll have my custom mount complete:

Pic below shows detail of how the tablet will be held in place once I cut the recess slots out of the dashboard covers (currently ajar). I've been driving this way all day with no movement of the tablet:

The USB cable is hidden behind the right dashboard cover plate. I've removed the lighter socket (the one to the right of the radio behind the little latched door) and dropped it behind that cover plate, connected a dual port USB adapter to it and connected my USB power cable and the Carlinkit wireless carplay adapter dongle. All of that is neatly hidden away behind that cover plate. The audio cable is routed the same but behind the left cover plate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2014 Pilot EX-L (no NAV/RES)
I'm just using an iPad mini (no 3.5mm jack). To mount it I created a wood piece with a shallow channel (router) to secure the bottom of my iPad and 2 rare earth magnets on to hold the top (using double stick tape and an angle bracket). I put a piece of metal between the case and the iPad. I'm running audio to the Pilot "aux jack" so I don't have a Bluetooth battle between my phone and the iPad. To get audio to the 3.5mm jack I purchased an Apple dock for $15 (ebay) and mounted behind the glove box (it's black and hold in place with a small piece of wood for the time - there was a small level piece of plastic there near the center of the Pilot for the dock to rest on). The dock has 3.5mm output. To get power/audio from the iPad to the dock I had to purchase a Lightning extension cable (connects the iPad to the "top" of the dock). The dock uses a regular Lightning cable and 3.5mm. I've had it mounted this way for ~2 years (just added the dock option about a month ago). Very secure, allows easy access to the camera and for tilting the iPad down when parked (or to remove if concerned about theft.

Hope this helps someone with their mounting solution.

Parts:
Ematetek Extender Connector Cord Pass Video Audio Data and Charging - $9 (ebay)
iPad Dock - $15 (ebay)
other cords - normal Lightning cable (had), 3.5mm male-to-male stereo cable (had)

Dock mounted behind glove box.

Dock behind the glove box.

iPad mini with small wood "holder" on the bottom.

side shot - 1 cable for power/audio is snaked under the top center dash piece.

Chip on the screen protector was PRIOR to using the magnets (prior "design" which failed in which it fall off).

Rare earth magnets provide plenty of holding power. Haven't gotten around to blacking out the metal (doesn't bother me ;)).

DIY wood bottom mounting channel. Held in place by double stick tape (hallowed out a shallow channel on the bottom for the tape to be slightly recessed so the wood would be flush on the bottom).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts