Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this bit of a dilemma, and trying to see what options I got.

In my old car, I replaced head unit with Alpine ILX-200, and been enjoying all the benefits of full-fledged Android Auto. We recently traded that car in, but I swapped the original stereo back in and kept the Alpine. So now I primarily drive our Pilot EX 2013. Music goes via bluetooth , but problem is, it does not recognize any of the track info from phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus.

Ultimate goal: I would like to replace head unit with something that does AndroidAuto, If I could use my Alpine, it would be perfect. Question is - does the screen at top of the console operate entirely off the factory head unit, or it would be able to still utilize it? I.e. for rear camera or 'trip computer'?
If not, guess not - but would I at least be able to utilize car's own rear camera and microphone?

I have read about NavTool, and my understanding is it essentially connects between the screen and the factory stereo, utilizing aux for audio input, and can mirrior my phone onto car screen. While nice, existing car screen is not touch, so any control would still have to be off the phone... not optimal. Or have I got it wrong?

Anyone got any experience with this piece? Seems like a good option, but practically zero info/reviews.
http://www.carnaviplayer.com/aftermarket-navigation-radio-for-honda-pilot-2009-2013-p-1086

Any insight/input greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like that naviplayer will not be compatible with my Pilot. And navtool is also not really what I want.
Anyways, got me online access to the manuals, and looks like factory stereo is too darn integrated into everything to remove it.
So I decided to be going roughly the same route as described here

Getting factory microphone, USB, rear camera etc rewired for the Alpine should not be too hard. Gonna use a Maestro for steering wheel controls. What really interests me, however, is the display unit. I wonder if I can isolate the LCD driver and get the video signal out of it, that can be converted to composite. Then I can route factory stereo fronts via a line converter and the display into Alpine's A/V Aux and essentially have the full factory stereo functionality, including the screen, should I need it. Ordered me a used Pilot display unit on eBay to experiment on.
Going to pair that concoction with four Focal speakers, a shallow Kicker sub and a 5-channel RF amp.
Should be an interesting exercize...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts