Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you with cloth seats....or anybody who's had experience with these......

Would it be worth getting quality sheepskin seat covers? An acquaintance advised me that I should consider purchasing them for both driver and passenger seats to save some wear/tear on the cloth...and for comfort. You know, the bit about "warm in winter, cool in summer."

Since I have the Starlight Silver with gray interior, I probably could find a compatible gray color. But, if I were to even consider doing this, I'd have to be satisfied that the sheepskin would survive a couple of washings....without little bits of wool fuzz taking over the passenger compartment.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ziploc said:
To those of you with cloth seats....or anybody who's had experience with these......

Would it be worth getting quality sheepskin seat covers? An acquaintance advised me that I should consider purchasing them for both driver and passenger seats to save some wear/tear on the cloth...and for comfort. You know, the bit about "warm in winter, cool in summer."

Since I have the Starlight Silver with gray interior, I probably could find a compatible gray color. But, if I were to even consider doing this, I'd have to be satisfied that the sheepskin would survive a couple of washings....without little bits of wool fuzz taking over the passenger compartment.

Thoughts?
Personally, I don't care for them. Look really nappy, dirty & crushed after awhile. I do understand your concern about the wear and soil on the cloth seats though. What about just a standard seat cover rather than the sheepskin route. I don't know - probably alot of people out there who think the sheepskin covers are way cool...or warm. :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
My previous Honda Accord(gave it away at 200,000 miles) had cloth seats to which we added sheepskin seat covers. I think they are nice if you get high quality seat covers that match the cloth. An issue with the Pilot though that we also had on our Audi A4 is whether it is advisable to have these types of seat covers when you have side air bags. They may/may not be compatible.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GPILOT said:
My previous Honda Accord(gave it away at 200,000 miles) had cloth seats to which we added sheepskin seat covers. I think they are nice if you get high quality seat covers that match the cloth. An issue with the Pilot though that we also had on our Audi A4 is whether it is advisable to have these types of seat covers when you have side air bags. They may/may not be compatible.
Thanks for the thought, GPILOT. But, at the risk of a dumb question......I'm not sure what you mean by the seat cover maybe not being compatible with side air bags. Is it that the cover might somehow interfere with deployment of the air bags?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sheepskin seat covers

I would highly recommend them. We had them on 3 CRVs and our Toyota Tundra truck. We bought all 4 pairs from:

THE BLACK SHEEP TRADING COMPANY
Store Location: Route 3, Bar Harbor Road, Trenton, ME 04605
Mail Order: 727 Bar Harbor Road, Trenton, ME 04605
tel. 207-664-7474
Outside Maine: 1-800-715-5262
email: [email protected]

Paid about $260 a set. The grey ones we had on our 97 CRV were about 4 years old when we sold the car --- still looked as new. We had black ones on the 99 and 01 CRVs and tan ones on the Tundra. Our Pilot has leather seats so we won't put them on this car. Call the 1-800#. They can tell you if you can install them with side air bags. If you call, tell them that Dave Combs in Virginia says hello. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is correct, the seat cover might actually block the area where the air bag is suppose to deploy. There are companies that make seat covers that are compatible with vehicles with side air bags, don't know if they have them yet for the Pilot. let us know what you find out, good luck

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Info.

David, I appreciate your recommendation on the Black Sheep Trading Co. Some might say $260 is a tad steep for seat covers, but if they will do the job and keep their looks, they're worth it. GPILOT, thanks also for alerting me to the possible problem re the side air bags.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Ziploc said:

Thoughts?
IMHO, if you are buying them for comfort (warmth in winter, etc) they are probably a good way to go. But if you are buying them to save wear/tear on the cloth - I have to ask why. Why not enjoy those seats? So many times you see people buy a new vehicle and immediately cover the seats. Later, when they sale the car, they remove the covers to allow the new owner to enjoy those nice new seats that the original owner never was able to enjoy.

rod (enjoying my seats with NO covers)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Opinions on Sheepskin Seat Covers

colorider said:

IMHO, if you are buying them for comfort (warmth in winter, etc) they are probably a good way to go. But if you are buying them to save wear/tear on the cloth - I have to ask why. Why not enjoy those seats? So many times you see people buy a new vehicle and immediately cover the seats. Later, when they sale the car, they remove the covers to allow the new owner to enjoy those nice new seats that the original owner never was able to enjoy.

rod (enjoying my seats with NO covers)
You ask a good question, rod.

I'm one of those who keeps a vehicle a long time, and I'm sure that'll especially be true of the Pilot. It'll be nice to pull that cover off around 60,000 miles or so and get something of a "new lease on life" going in my vehicle. And when I do sell the Pilot, newer-looking seats can't hurt in making the sale.

(Plus, if I or someone else has a sloppy moment that leads to a tough stain, better on the removable wool than the seat itself.)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Opinions on Sheepskin Seat Covers

Ziploc said:

You ask a good question, rod.

I'm one of those who keeps a vehicle a long time, and I'm sure that'll especially be true of the Pilot. It'll be nice to pull that cover off around 60,000 miles or so and get something of a "new lease on life" going in my vehicle. And when I do sell the Pilot, newer-looking seats can't hurt in making the sale.

(Plus, if I or someone else has a sloppy moment that leads to a tough stain, better on the removable wool than the seat itself.)
Those are good reasons - especially if you plan to keep a vehicle a long time. Good luck with the covers!!! I had sheepskin on a S10 Blazer way back when and really liked them.

rod

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sheepskin Covers

Ziploc

I'm not sure where Damascas is in relation to Fairfax County, VA. If it is not too far you are more than welcome to see the Sheepskin covers on my Tundra or my son's CRV. I know you can find cheaper ones at Pep Boys etc.. However, I don't think they are all sheepskin and I know the sheepskin quality is not as good. We were introduced to sheepskin covers when we lived in Germany in the mid 70s. Just about every German Mercedes and BMW had these covers. Germans keep their cars forever and I guess they wanted the seats to last. Besides protecting your seats they are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

David

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Sheepskin Covers

david combs said:
Ziploc

I'm not sure where Damascas is in relation to Fairfax County, VA. If it is not too far you are more than welcome to see the Sheepskin covers on my Tundra or my son's CRV. I know you can find cheaper ones at Pep Boys etc.. However, I don't think they are all sheepskin and I know the sheepskin quality is not as good. We were introduced to sheepskin covers when we lived in Germany in the mid 70s. Just about every German Mercedes and BMW had these covers. Germans keep their cars forever and I guess they wanted the seats to last. Besides protecting your seats they are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

David
Nice of you, David, to offer. I'm probably a little over an hour from your area. Don't get down that way much, but I may contact you if something brings me to Fairfax County.

I agree with you about what they sell at Pep Boys and some other car supply places. I think these are the kind of "Sheepskin" that Sage found looking "nappy, dirty, and crushed" after a bit of wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts