Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm in the market for a new (to me) car and I fell in love with my buddies Pilot that he let me borrow for a few months years ago.

Found this 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle...

and was hoping to get some opinions from some of you experts. Just stumbled across this board last night while doing some of my own research. Any input is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,594 Posts
Personally, this car isn't worth $4,000. I'd assume it needs another timing belt job (water pump, coolant, etc) based off its mileage. Additionally, 275k miles is a lot for these cars. The suspension is likely loose and much of it would need replacement. Even if transmission maintenance was followed, it wouldn't be very surprising to need to rebuild or replace it. The engine probably has plenty of life left, but you just never know. I have no problem keeping a car until it reaches that kind of mileage, because I own it free and clear. But paying for a 14 year old car with that many miles is a big risk in my opinion. Plus if it has been owned up there its entire life, rust can be an issue as well.

Hondas last a long time but you're pushing your luck once you get to 300k miles and beyond. Parts just get tired and then at that point it's a question of how much money you want to put in to a car that really only has value to you. I have no doubt there are plenty of lower mileage Pilots that aren't much more expensive. Stick with private sellers and if you're unsure, have it inspected by a trusted mechanic before you buy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, this car isn't worth $4,000. I'd assume it needs another timing belt job (water pump, coolant, etc) based off its mileage. Additionally, 275k miles is a lot for these cars. The suspension is likely loose and much of it would need replacement. Even if transmission maintenance was followed, it wouldn't be very surprising to need to rebuild or replace it. The engine probably has plenty of life left, but you just never know. I have no problem keeping a car until it reaches that kind of mileage, because I own it free and clear. But paying for a 14 year old car with that many miles is a big risk in my opinion. Plus if it has been owned up there its entire life, rust can be an issue as well.

Hondas last a long time but you're pushing your luck once you get to 300k miles and beyond. Parts just get tired and then at that point it's a question of how much money you want to put in to a car that really only has value to you. I have no doubt there are plenty of lower mileage Pilots that aren't much more expensive. Stick with private sellers and if you're unsure, have it inspected by a trusted mechanic before you buy it.
Thanks for your advice! I think I already knew being patient and keeping my eyes peeled was the right thing to do, just needed someone else to tell me I guess.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,594 Posts
Thanks for your advice! I think I already knew being patient and keeping my eyes peeled was the right thing to do, just needed someone else to tell me I guess.
You will definitely find one. There is lots of information on this site about common problems and things to look out for. If you find any more potential purchases, post them on here and people will try and give whatever advice they can.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Based off the pics she has a beautiful well kept body and interior but that mileage is concerning @4K. Make an offer if you feel good about her after a test drive. Local dealer should have the service records to make you feel more confident.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Based off the pics she has a beautiful well kept body and interior but that mileage is concerning @4K. Make an offer if you feel good about her after a test drive. Local dealer should have the service records to make you feel more confident.
I agree not to cross it off your list right off the bat. If photos and descriptions are accurate, and you can verify everything, including by having it inspected by a trusted mechanic after all that and taking it for a test ride, make an offer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Can I get some opinions on this?

If the Timing Belt NEEDS to be done, tell seller to knock off $1,000.00
Check for underside rusts, etc.

....take your OBD2 CODE READER with you and check for CODES

Code readers can be bought for under $30 at Walmart, Autozone and on the interwebz.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
It uses a bit of coolant and we're not totally sure why.
Bet he (or probably "she," because she said "we" and "beautiful" -- yes, I dabble in forensic linguistics :)) does know why.

Could be minor but could be major. Have a trusted mechanic inspect it if you're seriously considering it.

Also, check engine light on, so...
....take your OBD2 CODE READER with you and check for CODES

Code readers can be bought for under $30 at Walmart, Autozone and on the interwebz.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bet he (or probably "she," because she said "we" and "beautiful" -- yes, I dabble in forensic liguistics :)) does know why.

Could be minor but could be major. Have a trusted mechanic inspect it if you're seriously considering it.

Also, check engine light on, so...

Part about the coolant was edited into the post after I initially saw it, lol. Is the check engine light actually on or is that just because of the position the key is in?

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
My guess is that it's actually on; otherwise other dash lights would be on, too.

If you're still considering it, get a Honda code-capable reader (e.g., Foxwell NT630 Plus) and get it checked out by a trusted mechanic.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Price is fair, No VCM, If it's not a rust bucket, I'd offer 3.
I'd only buy if I DIY.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Part about the coolant was edited into the post after I initially saw it, lol. Is the check engine light actually on or is that just because of the position the key is in?
RPMs is 1000 so the engine is on. Deductions for significant under body rust, CEL, radiator leak or HG issue. Scan for codes for best results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for your input!

I'm going to look at this one tomorrow

A lot of you recommend taking it to a trusted mechanic which I can agree with, of course. The problem with that is I live in the middle of nowhere, the one I linked in this post is three hours away so I can't exactly drive it back home to have my mechanic look at it before I make the purchase.

I guess I'll stop somewhere on the way and buy a code reader? Or could I take it to an auto parts store during a test drive and use theirs?

If anyone sees any red flags on this one that I'm not seeing I would greatly appreciate the heads up!

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Hard to tell from the laconic description and the dearth of useful photos. Nothing particular jumps out, save for the usual rust spot on the rear fender and the perhaps a missing headrest in the middle of the third row. More body pictures would have been useful, including closeups of both rear quarter panels, and of course of the dash lights when the vehicle is on. No way to know if it has a check engine light or a troublesome MIL (not Mother-In-Law, but Malfunction Indicator Light :D), much less any error codes. Best is to get a Honda-capable code reader for this and future uses, like the Foxwell NT630 elite or Foxwell NT630 pro. Since it's up in MN, be sure to slide down under it and look for underbody rust, especially the infamous subframe mount.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Also might want to check the title. It could be a salvage rebuilt.
Not long ago someone found what looked to be a nice looking CR-V on Craigslist only to find that the shaft to the rear wheels was missing. So the AWD was made a 2wd or AWDR.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Also might want to check the title. It could be a salvage rebuilt.
Not long ago someone found what looked to be a nice looking CR-V on Craigslist only to find that the shaft to the rear wheels was missing. So the AWD was made a 2wd or AWDR
Like a lot of things in life it pays to look beneath the beautiful facade and behind the smile to take a peek down under to make sure everything is as it should be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts