Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our Pilot EX Sage for a week now and I have a few comments/questions.

1) The tires seemed harsh as far as how they felt over bumps. I checked the tire pressure and found all four to be in the 40 Lbs range. The door sticker recommends 32 lbs. I lowered all four to 32 and it is smoother now but does not handle as well. Also there now seems to be a thrum sound on the freeway. It has Goodyear tires.

2) When turning a corner at about 5 to 10 mph, when I give it some gas the Pilot hesitates like it's searching for 1st gear. It's annoying.

3) We cannot drive with the back windows down. If we do we get unbearable buffeting inside.

4) anybody know how much weight the roof rack crossbars will hold? I want to put a 100 lb canoe up there at some point.

Thanks

·
Registered
797 Posts
1) Yes, your dealer did not prep your vehicle correctly. They come over inflated in order to not flatten out during transport. They have to be lowered to 32PSI upon delivery.

2) Not sure. Maybe it was not idled correctly as part of the dealer prep to set the computer. Could be the grade logic transmission.

3) Yep. Search for that subject on this board and you will see extensive discussions on this subject. Not unique to the Pilot.

4) Probably okay. Recommend putting foam between the roof and cross bars to support the canoe. Have seen them for sale at sporting goods stores or you can cut some yourself.

For 1 and 2, search the site for dealer prep. You may also want to look underneath to see if the four rubber plugs were installed where the transport hooks tie down the Pilot during transit.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Some Answers

I also have a Sagebrush Pearl EX - and love it.

First: The sound you're talking about with your tires seems like a mystery. I also have the Goodyear Integrity tires, pressure is at 32, and I don't have any of those sounds. Many others on this website have swapped their Goodyears out for the Michelin Cross Terrains and like what they've done. If that's in your budget, you may want to give that a try.

Second: I also have not noticed this problem with my PILOT, but considering all of the electronics that monitor things, I'd say give it about another week or so, because most engine/transmission computer management systems are "learning" systems and adjust to the way you drive. If the problem doesn't get better, have your dealer reset the transmission codes.

Third: That wind buffeting noise drives me freakin' nuts as well. I have found a fix. If you have the front windows down and lower the driver's side rear window about an inch - the buffeting noise disappears and less wind blows into the side of your head (if you're the driver).

Forth: The roof rack on the PILOT is rated at 150-pounds, so you should be okay with the canoe!

Happy PILOTing!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey I didn't know that the roof rack was good for 150 pounds. I thought it was 100. I checked the honda.com site. The LX goes to 100 and the EX goes to 150. That's great. It should be good for a canoe, but I wonder...those stock racks always seem flimsy. I have the Thule rack that clips onto the EX rack. It is way noisy - I took it off as soon as I could and am now planning on poping it on an off as necessary. Not an ideal solution to be sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks autobahn and CO.

Mkell, I have not purchased my crossbars yet. I'm not sure which way to go with this. I might buy a Thule instead. Another option is to get one of the baskets like the Explorer NBX comes with. These last two options I would remove when not in use. The Honda crossbars look the best but may not be best for my main purpose of carrying a canoe. The Thule can be had with special canue brackets but would set me back at least $200.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mkell said:
Hey I didn't know that the roof rack was good for 150 pounds. I thought it was 100. I checked the honda.com site. The LX goes to 100 and the EX goes to 150. That's great. It should be good for a canoe, but I wonder...those stock racks always seem flimsy. I have the Thule rack that clips onto the EX rack. It is way noisy - I took it off as soon as I could and am now planning on poping it on an off as necessary. Not an ideal solution to be sure.
I too have the thule, I would go to your local rack place and pick up a couple of foam (almost like pipe insulators) ties, this will help with the noice, or you can get the deflector for about 45-

·
Registered
311 Posts
puccetti said:

I too have the thule, I would go to your local rack place and pick up a couple of foam (almost like pipe insulators) ties, this will help with the noice, or you can get the deflector for about 45-
Oh? A solution to the noise? I'm there. But I don't really understand. Are these long pipe shaped tubes that slip over the bars? And are they made for the Thule or generic? I don't think I've seen 'em. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
they go over the cross bars. I have not seen them from thule. I got mine from a company called Sport Rack, you might want to call them. http://www.sportrack.com They do not really have any information on their site. I just went to one of there shops first and said that I am getting some wind noise and he just gave me a set and said try these first.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's getting better all the time

I also noted the shifting, as well as a general "stiff" feeling when I first got my Pilot. Sometimes it felt as if it was in too low a gear - when I took my foot off the gas it slowed down rapidly. My old car used to coast forever.

Now I have 1000 miles on the Pilot and these issues are gone. The Pilot shifts smoothly, and it rolls along quite nice. I assume it just needed to break in a bit.

It's very smooth and quiet now. I'm hoping I won't see the door "scrunching" as some have reported after 4 or 5,000 miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts