Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I planned on finishing up today but I can’t shake the feeling I did something wrong to come up with that 146ft lbs.. my friends all think I’m overthinking it (a known personality trait)

I believe I used to much oil on the headbolt threads and have hydrolocked the bolts. There is one boss in the cylinder head that is higher than the rest and I believe that one settled at the 123ftlbs.. I chalked it up to less thread engagement because of the height of the boss, but I now think maybe the oil just had more room to pool under that bolt.

Going to check compression by jumping the starter, if it’s off I’m gonna pull and replace the bolts one by one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I planned on finishing up today but I can’t shake the feeling I did something wrong to come up with that 146ft lbs.. my friends all think I’m overthinking it (a known personality trait)

I believe I used to much oil on the headbolt threads and have hydrolocked the bolts. There is one boss in the cylinder head that is higher than the rest and I believe that one settled at the 123ftlbs.. I chalked it up to less thread engagement because of the height of the boss, but I now think maybe the oil just had more room to pool under that bolt.

Going to check compression by jumping the starter, if it’s off I’m gonna pull and replace the bolts one by one.
I never checked mine, I torqued them to the initial torque setting then turned each one 90 degrees 3 times. That was it, put her back together and done. I dipped each one on 5w20 and let excess drip off. You may be over thinking it. I would assume if they were hydraulically locked you wouldn't have been able to finish all three 90 degree turns?

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
You’re probably right.. this is why everything takes me 5 times longer than it should... but I very rarely let mistakes roll out the door.

My thought is I could have started twisting the head independently of the body of the bolt to get my 90* turns but then again I feel I probably would rip threads out of the block at that point.

If compression is good I’ll button it up, easy enough to jump the solenoid on the starter. I just don’t want to get it all back together and have to pull it apart again.. I was bored at work yesterday and read a thread where a member must have repulled the head 4-6 times.. I seriously lost count. Just don’t want to be that guy.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Jumped the starter solenoid great compression on 2 and 3.. cylinder 1 is at 150lbs still low but 50lbs better than pre-head swap.. must be the rings.. I’m gonna finish and see how it runs...

New problem.. the one head is milled the other isn’t my lower intakes are quite lining up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
View attachment 142131 Jumped the starter solenoid great compression on 2 and 3.. cylinder 1 is at 150lbs still low but 50lbs better than pre-head swap.. must be the rings.. I’m gonna finish and see how it runs...

New problem.. the one head is killed the other isn’t my lower intakes are quite lining up.
150lbs is good. Mine were in the 120s when I checked em when investigating the misfire that turned out to be a headgasket.
Please explain the new problem, looks like predictive text got the better of you.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Milled.. my phone doesn’t understand the word milled.. I’m just trudging froward at this point.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Lost a fuel rail bolt.. pulled half the intake to look for it in the valley.. luckily I had stuffed rags down the intake and had the coils in. So at least I know it’s not in the motor.. I lost I don’t even knowmaybe an hour looking for it.. might have made it to the ground for all I know.. it’s so small I don’t know that I’d hear it land.

Went to the boneyard and grabbed another.. smallest bolt in the whole job. Also grabbed some 10x1.25x25mm bolts (at autozone) to replace my exhaust studs because they are wiped out. Didn’t drop the ypipe enough to change the gaskets.. hope to compress them enough to seal.. if not I’ll run that problem down later..

I managed to re-run the wiring harness and find all the plugs so that’s good, also hooked all the coolant system back up.

I have an appointment with the Registry to register this thing 12/1.. I’ve already made and cancelled at least 5 appointments. Not cancelling again.

It’s super cold and just started raining so I put the plenum on(not bolted down) to keep water out.. the hood seals for shot on this thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It never fails that the smallest things lead to the biggest set backs. Those fuel rail bolts are definitely tricky to place and get a start turning em in.
What are you going to do regarding the intakes not being level with one another?

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Gonna bolt it together and see if the gasket does it’s job.. if not I’ll grab a gasket at the junk yard and cut it half separate the layers and add as many as I need to to get a seal.. I was taught a lot by rednecks back in the day.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Lost a fuel rail bolt.. pulled half the intake to look for it in the valley.. luckily I had stuffed rags down the intake and had the coils in. So at least I know it’s not in the motor.. I lost I don’t even knowmaybe an hour looking for it.. might have made it to the ground for all I know.. it’s so small I don’t know that I’d hear it land.

Went to the boneyard and grabbed another.. smallest bolt in the whole job.
Just add that detail to your long term memory, cause one day when you are either in there again, or however long it takes to fall out, that is going to become one of those extra "mystery" bolts you find later. Nothing like completing a job, and ending up with 1 more bolt than you started with. If you already lost an hour trying to find that one bolt (been there done that one time looking for the wheel lock key... that ended up at the end of my street because I left it attached to the wheel lug after tightening :ROFLMAO:), just imagine the havoc that will cause later if you don't realize it's source.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Luckily it’s a pretty specific bolt and my memory is near photographic but the whole thing is totally unacceptable to me. Stuck at work today, raining hard anyway.. might finish the fuel system and check for leaks tonight..

to do list

Fuel system
Plenum
Ypipe
Fill coolant
Run, look for coolant leaks
Timing covers
Harmonic balancer torqued to spec.
Ps pump
Serp belt/tensioner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts