Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Following video is fun though.

Direct hit.. zip tied the seafoam nozzle to the borescope.
Anybody ever see a video of a colonoscopy with polyp removal? This is similar butt [sic] indeed more fun. :)

Nice shootin', cowboy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anybody ever see a video of a colonoscopy with polyp removal? This is similar butt [sic] indeed more fun. :)

Nice shootin', cowboy.
Well, let me tell ya! In Ireland, you are awake for a colonoscopy, so yes, i saw the whole thing. My poor wife near passed out. That was when I was 25 yrs old. They said to come back in 5 yrs for another! I never went back. (you did ask)

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Don't know how old you are, but you should in fact go back. Just next time maybe ask your date to wait for you in the parlor. :D

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Nice shootin', cowboy.
yippie ki yay mother....

That was late last night.. after dark. I placed the intake after and called it a night.. gonna go bolt it down before work. I still haven’t run it since adjusting the valves.. that seafoam spray may have been unnecessary but I look for any reason to use the borescope.. I’ll report back later with whether it runs or not.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
So I was in a bit of a rush to get it running this morning.. it’s better than when I parked it, but still rough. I only ran it long enough to move it, I have a complicated parking situation, as a result my wife hit the gray Pilot with the blue Pilot. It’s not bad but really ruining the value of my pocket change purchase, not to mention her 08 EX-L.

I’m gonna seafoam it again, can’t hurt. If that doesn’t do it I’m just gonna bite the bullet and put a head on it. With the amount of sludge on that one valve I feel like it might have a bad seal and/or guide. It ran mint for 7 miles after the first seafoam treatment though and I can’t wrap my head around that.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Just an update.. Pilot definitely is getting a head. I found this head on eBay.. brand new.
C7F1378C-A5E3-412F-8B47-A46DA2A474D4.png

The seller claims it’ll fit and I think it will, but the part number only comes back to 05 Pilot and 06 Ridgeline. I cross checked part by part between an 05 and 07 pilot.. What it is VS what I need..

the head/valves/valve springs/camrockers are all the same.. the only changes I’ve found between the 2 assemblies are updated valve keepers and a couple bolts(length) that hang brackets off the heads. The brackets themselves don’t change.

I checked the sellers feedback to see if anybody called them out for selling something that wouldn’t fit or if anybody praised the affordable cylinder head. One positive feedback about the head no negatives.

I called my local machine shop to get an idea what it would cost to have them recondition the head.. too much$$ for me. I thought about replacing whatever valves it needed myself and lapping in all valves. I believe the problem is in the guide though so that doesn’t help me.

I like the idea of having a head ready to go so I can pull it apart and put it back together immediately.

Does anybody see a problem with this cheap head that I’m not seeing? There is another seller on ebay that’s sold a bunch of these allegedly.. anybody here use one?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Just an update.. Pilot definitely is getting a head. I found this head on eBay.. brand new.
View attachment 141364
The seller claims it’ll fit and I think it will, but the part number only comes back to 05 Pilot and 06 Ridgeline. I cross checked part by part between an 05 and 07 pilot.. What it is VS what I need..

the head/valves/valve springs/camrockers are all the same.. the only changes I’ve found between the 2 assemblies are updated valve keepers and a couple bolts(length) that hang brackets off the heads. The brackets themselves don’t change.

I checked the sellers feedback to see if anybody called them out for selling something that wouldn’t fit or if anybody praised the affordable cylinder head. One positive feedback about the head no negatives.

I called my local machine shop to get an idea what it would cost to have them recondition the head.. too much$$ for me. I thought about replacing whatever valves it needed myself and lapping in all valves. I believe the problem is in the guide though so that doesn’t help me.

I like the idea of having a head ready to go so I can pull it apart and put it back together immediately.

Does anybody see a problem with this cheap head that I’m not seeing? There is another seller on ebay that’s sold a bunch of these allegedly.. anybody here use one?
We've all had to make decisions on aftermarket parts or go OEM. For me, I'd have a tough time going aftermarket of such a critical component. But that doesn't mean this head isn't well built.
That being said, an early model engine head will not fit on later models. If the part numbers don't match, don't buy. These can also be 2wd and AWD sensitive on later models.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
I think they’re claiming it’s an OE head.. I wrote them to confirm. I posted the listing so see below. I’m prepared to just use the actual head,valves,guides and seals and just swap my cam and rockers if need be. But again all the major component(cam/head with valves/rockers) are the same between 05 and 07.

Just got their response so here it is...

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I comandeered a VIN for a Canadian manufactured 05 Pilot that uses the head being sold.. I then printed all the parts diagrams that matter for that head as well as the head on my 07. I highlighted in the left column all the parts that change.

The valve retainers and keepers, a bracket for the rear Air Fuel Ratio sensor wire, a bolt that holds that bracket as well as a bolt for the bracket that holds the crank sensor harness and the head gasket are the only components that differ. Felpro lists the same headgasket for both the 05 and 07 which is what I’ll be using. I’m going to place my order now.

🤞

🤞

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Head came from eBay today, looked pretty good...

until I flipped it over.

Several gouges in the sealing surface, a couple really bad. Contacted the vendor.. he offered a discount or to ship another one. Going to check with a local machine shop in the morning about milling it. If I can get it milled for whatever he’s offering as a discount I’ll do that. Otherwise I’m returning it for a refund, not gonna take him up on shipping another one.

I feared this might happen.. if something seems to good to be true it probably is.

TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT.. running out of time/weather to work. Winter is knocking on the door here and I work in my driveway.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Had the head resurfaced.. eBay seller covered it.. I thought this saga was coming to an end but alas.

I disassembled the rocker shafts and yanked the cam to clean everything up after the milling, plan to put it back together with some high end assembly lube I have kicking around. When I noticed this.

I’m missing one of the hollow dowel pins, no big deal maybe it fell out when I disassembled.. they’re a couple dollars at the dealer.. but then I noticed the side with a pin isn’t drilled out. Having examined this fully I believe these pins are used to deliver oil to the rocker shafts which in turn flow to the rockers. The fact that this hole isn’t drilled out means the rockers would be oil starved

Looking for someone to confirm.. gonna bring it back to the machine shop tomorrow.

Am I overthinking this? Are the exhaust rockers lubed by pooling oil.. they are lower in the head so possible.

These are the hollow dowels in question.. the intake side is machined for oil feed, this is what activates the vtec. As best I can tell anyhow..

can anyone confirm the rockers are just lubed by splash and flood?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had my heads off for a headgasket job. The wide hollow dowels (exhaust side) , are for oil returning to oil pan. Those narrow passages are routing oil up to the rockers. And yes when the oil pressure is right V-tec will "kick in yo".
I have pictures of my OEM heads, but for some reason I can't use the attachment option at the moment.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Thanks for chiming in, I was actually just looking at pictures of your block without heads on it.

in this picture the red circle is where the hollow dowel for the intake rocker sits.. it is missing.. oil is fed through this hole though. I confirmed this with compressed air today..

The blue circle is where the exhaust rocker sits.. it is not machined in a way that will allow oil to pass through it into the exhaust rocker shaft. Should there be active oiling in the exhaust rocker shaft?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for chiming in, I was actually just looking at pictures of your block without heads on it.

View attachment 141663

in this picture the red circle is where the hollow dowel for the intake rocker sits.. it is missing.. oil is fed through this hole though. I confirmed this with compressed air today..

The blue circle is where the exhaust rocker sits.. it is not machined in a way that will allow oil to pass through it into the exhaust rocker shaft. Should there be active oiling in the exhaust rocker shaft?
I see, I didn't realize I was looking at the head sans rockers and cams. I never stripped to this level. Since the other neighboring holes are threaded, I assume those are for the bolts. Long story short, I would assume that they are both fed oil. It is possible that the blue circled is meant to be a solid dowel, and that both cams are fed through oil passages from the one source (red circled hollow dowel). Unfortunately I am only guessing. Look at the hardware you bolt on for evidence of oil passages?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see, I didn't realize I was looking at the head sans rockers and cams. I never stripped to this level. Since the other neighboring holes are threaded, I assume those are for the bolts. Long story short, I would assume that they are both fed oil. It is possible that the blue circled is meant to be a solid dowel, and that both cams are fed through oil passages from the one source (red circled hollow dowel). Unfortunately I am only guessing. Look at the hardware you bolt on for evidence of oil passages?
I just looked at your other pics of the head and I think I am wrong about both being fed by one source. I can't imagine the exhaust side relying on splashing oil for lubrication. Someone on here must know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just looked at your other pics of the head and I think I am wrong about both being fed by one source. I can't imagine the exhaust side relying on splashing oil for lubrication. Someone on here must know.
One more thought, does the hole circled blue, have an corresponding hole on the flip side? I assume the threaded holes do not pass all the way through?

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
So I’ve had this head next to me at work since Saturday.. I’ve stared at it long enough to figure it out.. I think...

I’m off tomorrow and plan to hit the local boneyard to rip a valve cover off and yank rocker shafts.. I know believe the exhaust rocker is not actively oiled.. I believe the intake is only actively oiled during VTEC operation..

First I realized that the fact those hollow dowels are offset which doesn’t lend itself to them sharing the oil passage as it exists. There is a brass Allen headed plug where the Cylinder head is drilled through the headbolt passage.. this is what feeds VTEC on the intake rockers.

IrishPilotMender’s photograph really gave me my “AHA!” moment..

Oil enters the head from 2 spots.

1. The oil control orifice circled in yellow.. we know oil is fed here it’s the whole reason this orifice exists. This is located on the backside of the motor opposite of our hollow dowels. It is my belief this creates constant oil feed direct to the rear cam journal.

2. The head bolt and port circled in red only flows oil under VTEC.. unrestricted... this port lines up with the front headbolt which I’ve confirmed feeds the intake “dowel port” using a can of computer duster.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD
433 Posts
I don't have any answers for you, but when I saw this photo,
It looked to me like something is snapped off in the whole where you circled in blue?

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
That is a hollow dowel.. a roll pin basically both the red and blue are meant to have one.. picked one up at my local dealer and put the head back together.. didn’t think to take any pics but this is what it is.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts