Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
182 Posts
I think as someone said, it's actually made to run/timing wise on 87-89 octane. I think I saw something somewhere about using higher octane when towing near max? Probably because the added draw on the motor has the ECU change the timing slightly? You obviously know that putting premium in a car that is tuned for regular does not improve performance? Can actually make it worse?
Reminds me of when I was young and thought I'd try premium in my mini bike engine- Tecomsah 4hp.- it wouldn't run worth a crap and would barely even start! Drained it, used Regular- ran fine.

Seafoam? An advocate huh?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
182 Posts
Funny story I would like to share, off topic, but it is about cars looking close.
It was around 1990. My Mother just finished midnights at the paper mill.
She got in her car, and the damn key would not work in the ignition switch.
She called a tow truck to bring it to the mechanic. He put a new cylinder in it with an extra key.
When I dropped her off to pick it up, she realized, damn this is not my car.
The guy on day shift had the same car, same colour, she thought it was hers.
He was not impressed, and she felt like an ass.
I a couple times have went to the wrong car, they all look the same now. But never to the extreme my Mother did.
Wow! Holy Guacamole!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I’ve generally seafoamed every high mile car I’ve ever gotten, never caused a problem, doesn’t always help.. I’m pretty sure in this case it’ll do nothing.

My idea on the fuel is to dilute whatever is in there.. what’s in there is likely no longer technically 87, even if it was coming out of the pump at 87 6-8 months ago when this car seems to have been parked.

I’m certain neither of these ideas could possible make it run worse, in this specific case.

I’ve bought one other car this cheaply before, still driving it 2.5 years later. My hope is to unload it for what I have into it (initial purchase + parts) in which case I will have driven practically for free 2.5 years. The price of used cars is truly insane right now.

I run a parts store so I have an unfair advantage at times fixing up beaters. I often source parts outside my stocking lines however in which case the playing field is leveled somewhat, but I can usually negotiate better pricing. I’ve made friends with my local Honda parts dept, always extending the offer to reciprocate the favors I’m given. I’m friends with all the local Dealership parts depts even though I hate every other facet of the dealership experience.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Funny story I would like to share, off topic, but it is about cars looking close.
She called a tow truck to bring it to the mechanic. He put a new cylinder in it with an extra key.
The guy on the day shift shouldn't have left his car unlocked.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
128 Posts
The guy on the day shift shouldn't have left his car unlocked.
I do not lock my car at work. Not at home either. Usually I just leave the keys on the centre console, so I do not lose them. If they want to steal it, they do not need the keys.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I do not lock my car at work. Not at home either. Usually I just leave the keys on the centre console, so I do not lose them. If they want to steal it, they do not need the keys.
And there is the difference between Canada and the U.S. of A.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I don't need the whole vehicle, just a few parts. 6 coils and the battery. $400 🏃‍♂️💨

Reactions: PHM

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I a couple times have went to the wrong car, they all look the same now. But never to the extreme my Mother did.
Same is even more likely to happen nowadays. :p

2016 looks like a minivan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Update, I haven’t got to work on it as much as I’d like but I’m on vacation and have made some real progress today.. so recap cylinder 1 has lower compression and all cylinders come up misfiring P0301/2/3/4/5/6 and P0300 Random misfire.

I realized cylinder 1 had a brand new plug and an Autozone coil in it, clearly P0301 came up and somebody said “I know what will fix that.” Instead of fixing it (impossible since compression is bad) it triggered all the other misfire codes. I replaced the autozone coil with a factory coil from my wife’s Pilot and sure enough got rid of all the misfires except cylinder 1 which of course is genuinely misfiring.

I decided to charge the cylinder (@ TDC of course) with compressed air and listen for a valve leak and or check coolant for bubbles and listen to the crankcase through the oil fill. I removed the intake boot so I could get straight to the throttle body and found it was full of oil. I’m guessing PCV would cause this.. it appears original, I hosed it out with brake clean and hit it with compressed air, I will replace it when I have a chance to grab one. When I charged the cylinder with air it became very clear the intake valves are leaking.. here’s a video.. exhaust made no sound crankcase and coolant are good.

So I had borescoped the top of the piston and the exhaust valves assuming maybe a valve was burnt but I hadn’t focused on intake valves. So I borescoped the cylinder again, focusing on the intake valves. I’ll attach pics.

Pretty gummed up with oil and a ring of carbon around the sealing surface of the valve.. my next steps are double shot of seafoam and replace PCV valve.. after that I’m going to check the valve adjustment since it was recently done. If I pull the intake to check the valve adjustment I’ll get more borescope pics of the valves/ seats.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
.. so recap cylinder 1 has lower compression and all cylinders come up misfiring P0301/2/3/4/5/6 and P0300 Random misfire.

So I had borescoped the top of the piston and the exhaust valves assuming maybe a valve was burnt but I hadn’t focused on intake valves. So I borescoped the cylinder again, focusing on the intake valves. I’ll attach pics.

Pretty gummed up with oil and a ring of carbon around the sealing surface of the valve.. my next steps are double shot of seafoam and replace PCV valve.. after that I’m going to check the valve adjustment since it was recently done.
If the intake valves on cylinder #1 are the only ones with significant issues, what might be the effect if you rotated the crankshaft until those intake valves are open and then fogged the cylinder (through the spark plug hole) with Seafoam spray, and let it sit for a while before running the engine?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I think the cleaner needs heat to work.. another idea would be close the valves remove the plenum and pour seafoam onto them then draw it out with a syringe later. But the way they are leaking it’ll just all wind up in the cylinder. I have the seafoam spray, I’ve always used the liquid through a vac line in the past. This may be the dirtiest motor I’ve ever touched though so here’s to rolling the dice.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Can you tell me which one is not like the other, before I finish my so...

Yeah, go OEM on número uno.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does the Shell special sauce get added later?
Additives are usually put into the load when the tanker leaves the terminal. The gas is all the same. There are plenty of places with Brand A stations, but no Brand A refinery within 1000 miles.

I'm also a recent believer in SeaFoam cleaner. I tried using it as a cleaner to break up the carbon and varnish in my intake manifold cover. It worked OK, but not great. When I followed the directions and sprayed it into the intake while running, it did a lot better. My gas mileage is up about 10% after plugs, etc. and cleaning out all that EGR gunk.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Took the car to work (even though I’m on vacation) to seafoam it.. I was expecting absurd amounts of smoke and didn’t want to do it at home. I work in an industrial park so I figured lesser of two evils. I did not get the smoke I expected but car wound up running great after, I turned off the Check Engine Light and drove it home.. First 7 miles smooth and no light.. then it happened, right back to misfiring and a minute later the light came back on.

Just a theory.. carbon was keeping the valves from closing all the way.. if they now begin to close more/make more contact with the seat wouldn’t that throw off the valve lash.. maybe they’re too tight now.

Now it sounds like the timing belt tensioner is knocking, I’m guessing from revving the piss out of it. At least I hope it’s the Tbelt tensioner... Hahahaha.. thing is a basket case. My plan has been to get it running right before doing the timing belt. I guess I’ll borescope it again to see what the seafoam achieved, maybe check the valves adjustment then seafoam it again most likely.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

I meant to drop this picture of my throttle body with a pool of oil in it into the thread. I changed the PCV valve yesterday so we’ll see if that corrects this condition.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)

Plug 10-12 miles post seafoam

a lot of the carbon has now collected on top of the piston

And the bottoms of the valves..

Definitely cleaner.. next pic is insane though...

Spotless.. is that a casting flaw or crack though..

I charged the cylinder again, still leaking from intake... next up is check the adjustment.. I figure if the adjustment was done with the valves unable to close due to sludge and carbon they are surely too tight now.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts