Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah carfax kinda sucks.. I have a hookup to run them cheap though, if anyone ever wants one. When I shopped for the wife’s Pilot I looked at about 40 cars in about 40 days.. at least 30 had been hit, none of them showed accidents on the carfax. This score has some subpar paint work(for what I paid I truly don’t care) but also shows no accident on carfax.

Actually I found some cars that showed an accident on autocheck (provided on cargurus) but when you looked at the carfax didn’t show the accident.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Damn that sucks

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Used car lots here are the worst of the worst.
On one of my 06's It was found to have a salvage title .. Here in NY those are the worst since you have to go through a lot more red tape to get the Vehicle back on the road with tags.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I got plugs, air and cabin filters, oil and filter(oil may be more fuel than oil at this point) and a can of seafoam for the tank since it has sat for a long time. Gonna fill it with high test after I get the plugs in it. I found out the Tbelt and water pump were done 30k/2 years ago.. but not the idler or tensioner it seems. It seems like it was taken around to a bunch of independent shops to “try fixing it” I’m thinking it had single cylinders misfiring and each shop put a plug or 2 in it until we have the current situation.

I’ll report back after putting the plugs in it where I’m at with the rebirth.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
If you're going to fill it with "high test", then get Shell premium grade fuel since it has the highest concentration level of detergents.
And stick to 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you're going to fill it with "high test", then get Shell premium grade fuel since it has the highest concentration level of detergents.
Maybe twenty odd years ago big name gas companies like Shell, Mobil, Exxon etc had their own tanker trucks deliver fuel to the stations but now generic tanker trucks deliver to the station. Does the Shell special sauce get added later? Costco labels their gasoline as top tier. Is that the new level of quality? Appreciate any gas update.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
The EPA mandates a minimum level of detergent additives referred to as the 'lowest additive concentration' (LAC).
The Top Tier program was started by several automakers who determined that the LAC was insufficient.
The additive concentration in fuel that meets the 'Top Tier' standard is about 2.5 times the LAC.
Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium grade fuel has an additive concentration that is 7 times the LAC.
Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline

·
Registered
12 Posts
loved my 2008 EX-L NAV W/Rear camera...was a great car.. until some douchenozzle head on totaled it. that gray is a good color for it.. barely shows dirt

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
So my luck turned a little, decided I should check compression since I had the plugs out.. 2-6 all had 175-200 lbs... cylinder 1 came on at 100 dry and wet. At least the short block is good.. plugs were finicky going back into the front head(since somebody impacted the last set in) so I think I may throw 2 heads at it and call it a day.

For what I paid I’m still ahead.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I’ve only driven it about 10 miles, it has plenty of power and is smooth above idle. Because of the misfires the VTM4 is deactivated so as a front wheel drive it lit the tires up the first time I gave it 40% throttle at a traffic light.

Spoke to my friend at Honda Parts that rear head is the same for 05-08 Pilot, 07-10 Odyssey EX and LX but not EXL or touring and 06-08 Ridgeline.

Cylinder head is $75 at the local pick and pull if I pull it in the yard. So that’s a possible plan. Still have to check the valve lash since the were recently “adjusted” and thinking of running a carbon cleaner like seafoam through it.. the hole isn’t completely dead.

Coincidently the newest plug and random Duralast coil were in that cylinder so it must have had a p0301 and somebody said “I know what fixes a misfire. Let’s slam a plug and coil into it.”

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't want a new one. Our 2005 Pilot has been very reliable for 205K, Normal wear items and maintenance. No valve adjustment,I did need a starter.Trans shifts fine,motor purrs. I have the oil changed every 6K and never need to add much. Maybe a 1/3 of a qt.No power window or lock issues. Original O2 sensor and cat. Knock on wood. The only complaint I have is lousy road noise isolation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I don't want a new one. Our 2005 Pilot has been very reliable for 205K, Normal wear items and maintenance. No valve adjustment,I did need a starter.Trans shifts fine,motor purrs. I have the oil changed every 6K and never need to add much. Maybe a 1/3 of a qt.No power window or lock issues. Original O2 sensor and cat. Knock on wood. The only complaint I have is lousy road noise isolation.

That’s the thing, once I get this thing straightened out it’ll be a great car for the $$ invested. My only fear is they’ve been driving it like this for at least 7k miles.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
128 Posts
Depending on the time of day, angle of the sun, camera f-stops, and other lighting conditions, Nimbus Gray could pass for Steel Blue Metallic or Billet Silver Metallic, and the other way around.

In the early dim dawn of a workday, he might get into his wife's Pilot, or vice-versa. :D
Funny story I would like to share, off topic, but it is about cars looking close.
It was around 1990. My Mother just finished midnights at the paper mill.
She got in her car, and the damn key would not work in the ignition switch.
She called a tow truck to bring it to the mechanic. He put a new cylinder in it with an extra key.
When I dropped her off to pick it up, she realized, damn this is not my car.
The guy on day shift had the same car, same colour, she thought it was hers.
He was not impressed, and she felt like an ass.
I a couple times have went to the wrong car, they all look the same now. But never to the extreme my Mother did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
She got in her car, and the damn key would not work in the ignition switch.
A few years back I was leaving a grocery store with several bags in hand. Opened up the car and went to set my stuff down inside, but the interior was destroyed!! I took a big step back thinking WTF?! Wrong car, same isle! LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Both fantastic stories... well the wife’s has no trailer hitch and chrome bumper caps.. her rims are in rough shape, which for what I paid for it bothers me.. my rims are in great shape but they are LX wheels.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts