Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the wife an 08 EX-L back in July.. fell in love with it so when somebody offered to sell me a poorly running 07 LX for short money I said “here’s cash, where’s the title?”

It needs a major detail and I have to get it running right. But now we have His and Her’s Pilots. I’ll post pics of them side by side soon.

It runs incredibly well off idle, idles very rough though.. check engine and VTM-4 lights are on. So the first thing I did was pull the plugs. This is where it gets funny... complete smorgasbord of plugs. First 4 I pulled were all different.. really was hoping all six would be different just for the story.

Cylinder 5 spark plug tube was full of oil and there was one random no name coil, the rest were Denso.

PO thought the timing belt jumped a tooth but the cams are lined up and although I haven’t pulled the lower cover the keyway is at 12:00. There is an oil leak on the front of the motor I will address when I pull the lower cover tomorrow.

Timing belt has no markings, I believe it is aftermarket garbage and with only 138K on the clock hard to say when it was done. I will be doing an Aisin kit in a couple weeks.

Carfax shows a Honda Dealer replacing the PCM 1 year/7k miles ago when the misfiring started. But I’ll be damned if that computer has been replaced.

The rear brakes were also replaced with the PCM, but no that’s not true either.

That’s it for tonight.. but this thing is super cool for what was essentially what I carry in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
240 Posts
Awesome man!!! Sounds like you know your way around these Pilots😁👍👍. Keep us updated- we can all learn something

Does anybody know if the water pumps on Aisan kits is reliable? Think I remember that Gates timing kits had bad water pumps?

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
At 138K, it's possible your new-to-you Pilot might need a valve clearance adjustment.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I used the Aisan kits X2 times already (now over 200k) in both of my 06's no issues ... I even ordered one for the 2015.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
At 138K, it's possible your new-to-you Pilot might need a valve clearance adjustment.
Looks like they were "done" at 7k ago

Reactions: FormerFordGuy

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was leaning that way, funny thing is the dealer just adjusted them... allegedly.. they also adjusted them at 30 and 60k(so says their reporting to carfax)... why in the hell I do not know. I think they just like soaking people.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I was leaning that way, funny thing is the dealer just adjusted them... allegedly.. they also adjusted them at 30 and 60k(so says their reporting to carfax)... why in the hell I do not know. I think they just like soaking people.
I paid for mine to get done at the stealership only to find out they never did the codes kept coming back ... i did them on a saturday and no codes returned .

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Congrats. (y) You are livin' the life. The Piloteers Life. Welcome to the multiple Pilot family club. The poor guy you got this one from was ostensibly being scammed. I'm sure you'll make this Pilot right. What's the color?

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats. (y) You are livin' the life. The Piloteers Life. Welcome to the multiple Pilot family club. The poor guy you got this one from was ostensibly being scammed. I'm sure you'll make this Pilot right. What's the color?
Nimbus Gray... wife’s is Steel Blue Metallic.

Thanks for being such a cool community Piloteers.org. Cool car, cool people.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Uh probably the one thats posted :p

Reactions: Irish Pilot Mender

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Uh probably the one thats posted :p
Depending on the time of day, angle of the sun, camera f-stops, and other lighting conditions, Nimbus Gray could pass for Steel Blue Metallic or Billet Silver Metallic, and the other way around.

In the early dim dawn of a workday, he might get into his wife's Pilot, or vice-versa. :D

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Would he be unable to notice that one Pilot has roof rails while the other does not?
Depends how severe his hangover is. :p

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
So I bought the wife an 08 EX-L back in July.. fell in love with it so when somebody offered to sell me a poorly running 07 LX for short money I said “here’s cash, where’s the title?”

It needs a major detail and I have to get it running right. But now we have His and Her’s Pilots. I’ll post pics of them side by side soon. View attachment 140623

It runs incredibly well off idle, idles very rough though.. check engine and VTM-4 lights are on. So the first thing I did was pull the plugs. This is where it gets funny... complete smorgasbord of plugs. First 4 I pulled were all different.. really was hoping all six would be different just for the story.
View attachment 140624 View attachment 140625

Cylinder 5 spark plug tube was full of oil and there was one random no name coil, the rest were Denso.

PO thought the timing belt jumped a tooth but the cams are lined up and although I haven’t pulled the lower cover the keyway is at 12:00. There is an oil leak on the front of the motor I will address when I pull the lower cover tomorrow.
View attachment 140626 View attachment 140627

Timing belt has no markings, I believe it is aftermarket garbage and with only 138K on the clock hard to say when it was done. I will be doing an Aisin kit in a couple weeks.

View attachment 140628

Carfax shows a Honda Dealer replacing the PCM 1 year/7k miles ago when the misfiring started. But I’ll be damned if that computer has been replaced.
View attachment 140629 View attachment 140630
The rear brakes were also replaced with the PCM, but no that’s not true either.

That’s it for tonight.. but this thing is super cool for what was essentially what I carry in my pocket.
Lol on the spark plugs. I have no words to say but lol. Anyway, hard to say on the PCM but I'm not one to believe everyone gets everything they pay for at the stealership.
What a great find. 👍👏
Lol again at the spark plugs. 😆

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Yeah, those plugs are worth a reLOL. :D

OP, start fresh with some reliably-sourced NGK Laser Iridiums.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the early dim dawn of a workday, he might get into his wife's Pilot, or vice-versa. :D
We have designated parking spots.

Depends how severe his hangover is. :p
Haven’t had a drink in 14 years.

Lol on the spark plugs. I have no words to say but lol. Anyway, hard to say on the PCM but I'm not one to believe everyone gets everything they pay for at the stealership.
What a great find. 👍👏
Lol again at the spark plugs. 😆
Yeah, I thought we could all enjoy the laugh... I was literally hooting and hollering as I took out the first four, completely different plugs.. I started chanting “Champion copper, Champion copper”. I mean it went to the dealership with a misfire, several times... the one correct plug looks maybe original...What are they teaching these kids if a misfire doesn’t instantly make them check plugs? The one Denso plug looks brand new.. like it has barely even fired, that one had the no name coil on it.. So that coil is outta here too.

Ain’t nobody got time for shitty parts.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
224 Posts
Great post!
I just got our second Pilot too! A 15 LX 4WD.
We had a 08 SE FWD we bought new in 08.

Both still run well. the 08's had the timing stuff replaced buy a good shop I trust near me. Non stealership shop. It had the selenoid thingy too, that makes the VSA light come on? Anyways- they fixed that correctly too.
Anyone around Milwaukee, it's Two Guys Automotive on Hwy 100
When they did the selenoid, they took out all plugs. I must have replaced them with a non OEM plug over 10 years ago, because he told me they were not the OEM plugs. Also told me that they looked so good- all of them- they just checked the gap and re installed them! That's an honest shop!

Nice score on your new to you Pilot.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great post!
I just got our second Pilot too! A 15 LX 4WD.
We had a 08 SE FWD we bought new in 08.

Both still run well. the 08's had the timing stuff replaced buy a good shop I trust near me. Non stealership shop. It had the selenoid thingy too, that makes the VSA light come on? Anyways- they fixed that correctly too.
Anyone around Milwaukee, it's Two Guys Automotive on Hwy 100
When they did the selenoid, they took out all plugs. I must have replaced them with a non OEM plug over 10 years ago, because he told me they were not the OEM plugs. Also told me that they looked so good- all of them- they just checked the gap and re installed them! That's an honest shop!

Nice score on your new to you Pilot.
Thanks, I’m pretty stoked about it. For what it’s worth now I think checking the gap is a no no. That said I’m happy you have a shop that doesn’t try to bone you at every turn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice find. I am a little jealous as I have been looking for a first gen Pilot for myself (My wife drives a 2010 Touring). As for what was reported to Carfax I guess I should not be surprised or disappointed to learn it is just one more source of information that maybe inaccurate.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts