Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I live in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area. A little over a week ago we took a trip down to Columbia, SC in our Pilot. Other than a weekend trip up to NJ this was our first long road trip in our Pilot. So here are a few of our observations:

THE RIDE: The Pilot has a very nice ride for an SUV. While we felt more bumps on rough pavement than I would have liked, the ride is still far better than some other SUV’s (and even a few cars) that I’ve rode in. We have the OEM Goodyear tires so many folks on this board have complained about. However, the amount of road noise the tires generated didn't bother us or seem out of the ordinary. The seats are also very supportive and comfortable for long trips (except for the head rests). When we got back it looked liked we had become victims of the “saggy leather seat” problem but since then it appears that the seat cushions have returned to their original shape and the sagginess is now gone. While I was in SC I road up to Raleigh, NC to pick up some family (who had had problems with their flight into Columbia) and brought them back to Columbia. Going back to Columbia I had 3 adults in the middle row and one up front w/ me. All had plenty room and were very impressed with the Pilot – especially after I pointed out how they could adjust the rear temperature control. The only complaint I got about the Pilot on our 3+ hour trip back to Columbia was from the middle passenger. Seems the shoulder strap on the portion of the seat belt coming down from the ceiling was to close to their neck.

THE NAV SYSTEM: Our Nav has worked liked a charm in the DC area. It has gotten us out of plenty of traffic jams and has helped us find quite a few restaurants, etc. that we didn’t even know about. Unfortunately the Nav System didn’t work as well in Columbia. Much of Columbia wasn’t mapped. In the DC area The Nav list most roads by their name and highway/route number. In Columbia most of the roads that were in the Nav system were listed by highway number only. Not very helpful when you only know the name. My wife was wondering what Honda’s criteria was for providing detailed mapping of an area. Well, being the capital city of a state has nothing to do with it. If I were living in Columbia, SC and bought a Pilot with the Nav I’m positive I would have felt like I wasted my money. Also, my wife wanted to stop at an IHOP for breakfast while we were on the road. She tried to look one up but ran into problems with all the different listings for IHOP (ex. IHOP, International House of Pancakes, International House Pancakes, and a few misspelled locations).

OTHER THINGS:
1) We averaged about 340 miles on a tank of gas. We put just under 1700 miles on our Pilot while we were on our trip.
2) We saw only 5 other Pilots during our trip. Sandstone, Black (which really looked nice – the front windows were tinted the same color as the back and it had the lower front bumper trim w/ fogs), Redrock, SS and Taffeta.
3) The grab handles for the doors are a prefect place to hold your super sized fries! :D
4) I bought a Transpod from CompUSA for my ipod mp3 player. It broadcast through the FM radio. It’s not great but it does get the job done. However, I will be setting up quite a few more playlists before our next trip.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Rainbowslim said:
OTHER THINGS:
1) We averaged about 340 miles on a tank of gas. We put just under 1700 miles on our Pilot while we were on our trip.
glad you had a great trip....what was the milage...(guess by tank of gas you do not mean 19 gallons :( )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts