Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading thread after thread about Honda's VCM system and there's a lot of information about it. All kinds of talk about disabling it with a VCM Muzzler, class action law suit, Honda's recognition of the issue, but their inability to properly address/fix due to regulations regarding emissions/fuel efficiency, etc...,etc.

I'm the second owner of a 2007 EX-L 4WD that is now just shy of 200k miles. I've changed the timing belt twice and performed every service requirement like clock work. I did have to have the heads done at about 50k miles after I replaced the timing belt the first time because it broke and took 5 valves with it, but that was 2 years and about 40k miles ago. Factory belts/parts used both times in case one asks. The engine runs like a top and at idle I forget it's even running sometimes. It does use oil but only about 1/2 a quart every 5k miles or so.

So what's my question you ask?

At what point is the enabled VCM supposed to start causing issues??? 300k miles???

The other threads have peaked my interest in installing a VCM Muzzler because so many have recommended doing so but I'm really struggling with what the true benefit would be especially in my case.

Thoughts?

Chime in if you have installed one and what your conclusions are.
Chime in if you have not installed one and are having or are not having any seemingly related VCM issues.

Thanks! Appreciate all contributions!!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just realized what I had misread/misunderstood....
Rocky said all "FWD" had it and all "AWD" didn't. When I read it I took "FWD" as "Four Wheel Drive" and not "Front Wheel Drive"... I need more sleep...

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Hahaha I guess somehow I missed that... I thought that I had read that the 4WD does have it but the AWD does not, I guess I stand corrected.... Thanks!
You mean when Honda called the Pseudo 4WD, which is FWD assisted by the rear wheels, and changed the name to the more marketable AWD? What year was the name change again?
And yep, your /model did not have it.

Do you ever see the little Green ECO light come on and go off on your gauges. At least in the Gen1 and 2's, it coincides with the VCM kicking in and out, I think.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Rocky said all "FWD" had it and all "AWD" didn't. When I read it I took "FWD" as "Four Wheel Drive" and not "Front Wheel Drive"... I need more sleep...
What year was the name change again?
On our 2006 and 2007, Honda badges them as "4WD," but you have to look closely because the "4" is stylized to look a lot like an "A."

Guess some marketing genius thought that would be both ambiguously plausible and leet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's funny, I ran outside and had to look at the back emblem again right after my last post, the "4" sure does look like an "A". Was it Hunter S. Thompson that said "Of all the things I've lost over the years I miss my mind the most"...

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Was it Hunter S. Thompson that said "Of all the things I've lost over the years I miss my mind the most"...
No, that was Mark Twain. Or Ozzy Osbourne.

Hunter S. Thompson invented Gonzo. IIRC

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
While we're on the subject.....

I think I have learned that up until 09, like on my 08 FWD- the VCM shuts down the rear bank only.

But on the 09+'s, it shuts the rear bank (3), OR only cylinders 3&4.- Thus running on 4 cylinders, not 3.

PlPl, do you have that video of that handy again?

Guru's, Slvr7, anyone else shed some light on this?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Thats funny! Back in the day some brands were proud of that FWD emblem or sticker...
Brown Text Font Tan Calligraphy

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
PlPl, do you have that video of that handy again?
This one?

Most of the cool and wannabe cool videos I've found describe shutting down cylinders 1, 2, 3 (bank 1) or 3 & 4...

One older and slightly less cool video might imply only 1,2,3 ...

And if you have any lingering doubts over which is bank 1 and which is bank 2, there's a video for that, whose coolness you can be the judge of.

At what point do we say there may be too many videos on the internet? :D

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Thats funny! Back in the day some brands were proud of that FWD emblem or sticker... View attachment 142768
Not sure if it's urban legend, but I remember hearing that André Citroën pioneered, in addition to unibody construction, the automotive industry's inexorable move into front wheel drive (AKA traction avant) after pushing, then pulling, a wheelbarrow in his garden, and concluding the latter made for better road handling.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Not sure if it's urban legend, but I remember hearing that André Citroën pioneered, in addition to unibody construction, the automotive industry's inexorable move into front wheel drive (AKA traction avant) after pushing, then pulling, a wheelbarrow in his garden, and concluding the latter made for better road handling.
I remember watching a parade as a kid, where they had several of the Citroens(sp?) cars with one wheel taken off and they were in the parade too! Something they were showing about the suspension?

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
I remember watching a parade as a kid, where they had several of the Citroens(sp?) cars with one wheel taken off and they were in the parade too! Something they were showing about the suspension?
Wikipedia, that font of 21st century human knowledge, says: In 1954 they produced the world's first hydropneumatic self-levelling suspension system.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Ha, NG and others will be please to note that:

I just ordered 2 x SVCM's - $105 ea. including shipping.

I'm hoping I'm going to like the fact it will always work to disable VCM, I won't have to change anything, and it will alert me in an over heat situation!

Too many Pro's about this, few if any con's.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
If you're lucky, it might arrive just in time for Christmas.
Wonder if Santa's sleigh has VRM (Variable Reindeer Management).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts