Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just got my first pilot Tuesday and I’m leaving for a long trip 700 miles each way at the end of next week, my question is will i be ok taking this car that has only 100 miles on it? I dont know if there is a break in period or if i should be fine. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
725 Posts
We drove our 2019 for a 3800 mile 16 day road trip. It had 200 miles on it when I had taken a 200 mile 95% interstate trip before the 3800 mile driving vacation trip. So it had 400 miles on it when we left on the 3800 mile trip.

No oil was used, car ran fantastic, and we averaged a little over 25 MPG for the trip. It included about 85% interstate driving of speeds up to 80 MPH (Texas), and most other states were at 70 MPH. There were days we drove for 8 or 9 hours on the interstates.

The car now has right around 6800 miles on it, and still a 24.7 lifetime average MPG with about 50/50 driving now. The MM is at 40% but I did change the oil and filter at 5000 miles but did not reset the MM. It was showing 60% when I changed it if I recall, but I want to see how many miles it will take to get down to 10% or so.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,934 Posts
Read the owners manual to determine if there is a breakin period and what types of driving should be avoided during that period.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We drove our 2019 for a 3800 mile 16 day road trip. It had 200 miles on it when I had taken a 200 mile 95% interstate trip before the 3800 mile driving vacation trip. So it had 400 miles on it when we left on the 3800 mile trip.

No oil was used, car ran fantastic, and we averaged a little over 25 MPG for the trip. It included about 85% interstate driving of speeds up to 80 MPH (Texas), and most other states were at 70 MPH. There were days we drove for 8 or 9 hours on the interstates.

The car now has right around 6800 miles on it, and still a 24.7 lifetime average MPG with about 50/50 driving now. The MM is at 40% but I did change the oil and filter at 5000 miles but did not reset the MM. It was showing 60% when I changed it if I recall, but I want to see how many miles it will take to get down to 10% or so.

·
Registered
289 Posts
These days, the need for any type of rigid break-in regimen for a new engine is largely unnecessary. That being said, I'd practice common sense and vary highway speeds a bit and avoid sustained cruising at speed above 70 or so. I'd also try as best you can to avoid heavy/hot stop-and-go traffic and not let the engine idle for long periods. Giving it an occasional brief romp on the throttle is a good idea too - it takes combustion pressure to do final ring seating.

Again, all this is very precautionary - if you follow none of it and just drive the car any which way, you'll probably do no damage whatsoever. It's how millions of rental cars are broke in every year.

As an aside, I was bicycling past the local Hyundai dealer the other day and noticed three or four new cars sitting on their lot idling. My wife asked and apparently their regimen is to start the cars on their lot once every week or two and let them idle for an hour with AC running to charge the battery and "exercise the engine". This is about the worst thing you can do to a brand new engine and reaffirms to me how car dealers are utterly clueless.

- Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
We drove our 2018 within a couple of weeks of buying to Florida and back. Like Markjenn mentioned above, the newer generation of cars do not need a rigid break-in process. I set it up on cruise @ 76MPH, set lane assist and resulting mileage was in the high 27's all the way thru. The car drove great.

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
Gas up, drive and enjoy the ride.

Our last new car (a CRV) covered nearly seven thousand miles in its first six weeks. I swear it's engine is 100% happy with the way it started its life.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thats great thanks for the info did you use your cruise control for the highway driving?

Yes, cruise was used for the highway driving. It was kept on even through the hills of Tennessee and Kentucky with no problems. I also have left the ECO button on the entire time since purchasing the car except for 1 tank of gas several weeks ago.

Noticed no big difference in MPG but did notice the better acceleration from a stop. Don't really need that so turned the ECO back on.

Reactions: Dena118
1 - 9 of 9 Posts