Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if the wires would of been 2" longer, it would of been nicer! also, the way the coolant sensor was clocked, that made it fun. my fat american fingers i guess...either way, its installed. what should i expect now? drop in mpg? better cruising power? longer engine life?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Hi 86,
Have you researched this much?
You'll be enjoying at least 60 more HP, better MPG, and all you problems will magically go away!
J/K

I have seen about a 1mpg decrease using svcm- if that.
Depending on how it acted before with it engaging/disengaging- you may not even notice it.
But it is there keeping all 6 cyls. making power all the time.
There is strong evidence that it will lead to longer engine life too. This is why we use them.

Reactions: 86racer

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
if the wires would of been 2" longer, it would of been nicer! also, the way the coolant sensor was clocked, that made it fun. my fat american fingers i guess...either way, its installed. what should i expect now? drop in mpg? better cruising power? longer engine life?
Lots of info on this subject as to the benefits. For me, it's saving my 6-speed transmission. I can never go without a VCM disabling device.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi 86,
Have you researched this much?
You'll be enjoying at least 60 more HP, better MPG, and all you problems will magically go away!
J/K

I have seen about a 1mpg decrease using svcm- if that.
Depending on how it acted before with it engaging/disengaging- you may not even notice it.
But it is there keeping all 6 cyls. making power all the time.
There is strong evidence that it will lead to longer engine life too. This is why we use them.
i wish it was that easy! every now and then i would get a shudder, nothing i paid much attention to. i sold a chevy volt before i got my pilot, it was super smooth. no noises or strange feelings. the pilot if my first pure gas vehicle in years, i just chalked the quick shudder up to it being a bigger suv and the normal feelings it has. nothing that made me think i needed to get it looked at. keeping all 6 cyls working cant be bad. longer engine life is a big plus, i want 250k+ miles out of my pilot! thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of info on this subject as to the benefits. For me, it's saving my 6-speed transmission. I can never go without a VCM disabling device.
my 17 only had 36k miles on it, hoping the will prolong its life!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Let's see ... less vibration, smoother deceleration, smoother shifting, less oil consumption, longer lasting motor, longer lasting transmission, longer lasting motor mounts, longer lasting plugs, maybe 1 mpg lower mileage if that, keep your wife happier. What more do you want?

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let's see ... less vibration, smoother deceleration, smoother shifting, less oil consumption, longer lasting motor, longer lasting transmission, longer lasting plugs, maybe 1 mpg lower mileage if that, keep your wife happier. What more do you need?
all that is good, except the wife left 6 months ago. appears the svcm is a good choice. ( new to pilot and the 3.5v6 )

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talk about the best of all worlds .....
meh, the way it all went down really fucked with my head. wouldn't wish it on anyone. the one thing i have learned? it is what it is...

nonetheless, i want a nice long service life out of my pilot

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
my 17 only had 36k miles on it, hoping the will prolong its life!
I had the Erratic rpm Gauge of Death.
I got off DW-1 which improved the condition, but it wasn't solved until I installed S-VCM. I'm confident in saying that a VCM disabling device will prolong the life of your engine and transmission. Just be mindful to inspect your cooling system periodically. Check coolant level, make sure both cooling fans are operating properly.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
meh, the way it all went down really fucked with my head. wouldn't wish it on anyone. the one thing i have learned? it is what it is...

nonetheless, i want a nice long service life out of my pilot
Sorry ... stay as positive as you can. Hope the Pilot treats you well.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The most important (to me) thing I noticed after installing the VCM Tuner II, on our G2 Ridgeline, was the virtual elimination of the abrupt downshift at 30 mph and again at 20 mph. The ScanGauge shows the "tricked" engine coolant temp at 161F-163F and VCM is always shown as "Off".....those 2 were to be expected after the installation. Could not be more satisfied.

Probably makes no difference, but I lengthened the wires in order to move the "black box" to between the battery and fender (much cooler location) vs the "black box" being directly on top of the hot motor/tranny.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The most important (to me) thing I noticed after installing the VCM Tuner II, on our G2 Ridgeline, was the virtual elimination of the abrupt downshift at 30 mph and again at 20 mph. The ScanGauge shows the "tricked" engine coolant temp at 161F-163F and VCM is always shown as "Off".....those 2 were to be expected after the installation. Could not be more satisfied.

Probably does makes no difference, but I lengthened the wires in order to move the "black box" to between the battery and fender vs the "black box" being directly on top of the hot motor/tranny.
Good deal! And smart move on the longer wire ... heat is the enemy of electronics.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had the Erratic rpm Gauge of Death.
I got off DW-1 which improved the condition, but it wasn't solved until I installed S-VCM. I'm confident in saying that a VCM disabling device will prolong the life of your engine and transmission. Just be mindful to inspect your cooling system periodically. Check coolant level, make sure both cooling fans are operating properly.
mine used to do that, i changed the transmission fluid, havent noticed it since. not sure that had anything to do with it, but...

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
mine used to do that, i changed the transmission fluid, havent noticed it since. not sure that had anything to do with it, but...
This is the symptom of a torque converter clutch lock issue. Honda DW-1 ATF obviously was not protecting the transmission and the poor condition of the fluid made this symptom worse. After changing to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF, the flairs were very faint. It was not until I disabled the VCM that it was totally cured (22k miles).

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
On the 3rd Gen Pilots, in my opinion, the most important benefit of the SVCM device is transmission related. The 3rd Gen models with 6 speed transmissions tend to eat up their torque converters. This is due to Honda's VCM system causing deliberate slip in the torque converter lockup clutch, as a way to give you a smooth ride as your 3 cylinder engine vibrates. This is not just my opinion. If you read Honda's engineering brag posts about the 3rd Gen VCM system, they make it plain that TCC lockup slip was a deliberate program, and they brag about the smooth driving result. Unfortunately, the designed slip causes the TCC to wear out right around 60k miles, which happens to be the end of the factory powertrain warranty.

If your 2017 is still cruising fine, with no torque converter slip at 60 mph, then count yourself lucky. Stay on top of transmission fluid service. Lots of members here like Valvoline Maxlife ATF over the OEM Honda fluid. In any case, the SVCM is a good addition.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the 3rd Gen Pilots, in my opinion, the most important benefit of the SVCM device is transmission related. The 3rd Gen models with 6 speed transmissions tend to eat up their torque converters. This is due to Honda's VCM system causing deliberate slip in the torque converter lockup clutch, as a way to give you a smooth ride as your 3 cylinder engine vibrates. This is not just my opinion. If you read Honda's engineering brag posts about the 3rd Gen VCM system, they make it plain that TCC lockup slip was a deliberate program, and they brag about the smooth driving result. Unfortunately, the designed slip causes the TCC to wear out right around 60k miles, which happens to be the end of the factory powertrain warranty.

If your 2017 is still cruising fine, with no torque converter slip at 60 mph, then count yourself lucky. Stay on top of transmission fluid service. Lots of members here like Valvoline Maxlife ATF over the OEM Honda fluid. In any case, the SVCM is a good addition.
svcn is installed, i just had the dealer change the transmission fluid a few hundred miles ago. next time around ill put in the valvoline

·
Registered
138 Posts
Man, I just installed my svcm today after having it sit a few months, just a trip around the block and it felt smoother, ya know, I want to think it is not in my head but further driving will make it more evident. I would get those random rpm jumps which is why I ordered it so I am curious if they go away. Not like it was often but often enough to notice them, sometimes very obvious (9spd). The one thing I was certain of, and I am kinda surprised but backing into my driveway which has a noticeable incline, the Pilot had a lot more power going in reverse.

This is actually GREAT as I tow a 3500lb travel trailer so I can't wait to confirm this next time I back up with my trailer.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Man, I just installed my svcm today after having it sit a few months, just a trip around the block and it felt smoother, ya know, I want to think it is not in my head but further driving will make it more evident. I would get those random rpm jumps which is why I ordered it so I am curious if they go away. Not like it was often but often enough to notice them, sometimes very obvious (9spd). The one thing I was certain of, and I am kinda surprised but backing into my driveway which has a noticeable incline, the Pilot had a lot more power going in reverse.

This is actually GREAT as I tow a 3500lb travel trailer so I can't wait to confirm this next time I back up with my trailer.
It's like finally quitting smoking for your engine. Glad you did it, wish you had done it sooner. But the important thing is you did and will start seeing a healthier car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's like finally quitting smoking for your engine. Glad you did it, wish you had done it sooner. But the important thing is you did and will start seeing a healthier car.
haha thanks. I have only about 50 miles driving on it but I suspect I am not seeing a loss in MPG and actually possibly an improvement because I used to drive in Sport mode almost every time I drove the thing to help reduce throttle response lag. Now, normal drive feels great and without the higher RPM that I might be getting better MPG actually lol.

I just do not know why the Scan Gauge 2 VCM monitoring was not reading right, because it for sure made a difference. I drive the car daily, I totally noticed it improve.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts