Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, one last time: What is the deal with aftermarket DVD/Navi's? :confused:

To start, I did a search on this web site and on the Acura MDX sister site. I found a *wealth* of information. I found advice, links to specialty shops, and even some wild install pics. :cool:

First off, I *wanted* and ordered an EX without leather. This instantly ruled me out the possiblity of getting a factory navi or even a DVD for that matter. Go figure. On to plan-B :rolleyes:

I want a DVD player / TV Tuner / Navi system, and have seen the Pinoeer and Sony systems that have a motorized screen that hides in the dash then slowly rolls out. Although those are real cool, I kinda like the in-dash screen that are visible all the time.

I was planning on buying a 6" screen and putting it where the radio is now. And moving the radio to where the "not an ash try" area is. To date, I have not found a thread where a person has done this. I figure that right now there no after market harnesses/clamps/faceplates for the pilot. I'd expect this to change in the near future.

How come I have not read that people are doing this? What am I missing? Shall I wait and see what the Crutchfields and Clarions come up with?

I shall hide my head in shame for asking this.

:32:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Aftermarket in-dash video/multiuse screen

tacomantt said:
I want a DVD player / TV Tuner / Navi system, and have seen the Pinoeer and Sony systems that have a motorized screen that hides in the dash then slowly rolls out. Although those are real cool, I kinda like the in-dash screen that are visible all the time.

I was planning on buying a 6" screen and putting it where the radio is now. And moving the radio to where the "not an ash try" area is. To date, I have not found a thread where a person has done this. I figure that right now there no after market harnesses/clamps/faceplates for the pilot. I'd expect this to change in the near future.

How come I have not read that people are doing this? What am I missing? ...
CASH! Great big ol' heaping piles of CASH!!!

You need about $1500-2500 for a permantely displayed on the dash screen/built-in/hidden DVD player, add another $2K for the aftermarket Alpine nav. This is NOT in the same league as RES. This is DEEP into Custom Designed & Installed.

If you do not have a good relationship with a highly skilled installer, do not attempt to accomplish this, there is WAY TOO MUCH work for "i used to work at 'worst buy' but I wanted to make more money" -type installers.

The costs involved make these pretty UNCOMMON! Even for the "techno-types" there are not many people who appreciate the benefits of the full-featured Alpine Navi (the factory installed version is based on the Alpine, but most folks find the touchscreen and specific programming of the factrory system far superior).

The simple "flip down" RES in MUCH more common! You can find discount stuff for around $500.

Even the motorized "slide away/hide away" type DVD players are far cheaper.

It is supply & demand. The demand for the larger screens is smaller, the potential market is VERY small, the manufacturers charge TOP DOLLAR for "the good stuff".

Here is si,ilar set of mods to a 4runner:
http://candidotapia.tripod.com/trdrunner/id9.html

Great 'links' page for info:
http://perfdir.primediaautomotive.com/autosound/index.asp?cat_id=39&pub_id=2

There is a "dealer locator" feature at Alpine's site BUT it will not differentiate the "circuit silly" stores from places that sell one or two replacement AM/FM radios to cell phone customs to the the shops that specialize in the kind of HIGH END ONE OFF CUSTOM work that you will need...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Look at the thread

Aftermarket Navigation systems

in audio and electronics forum. You won't find
the answer but you'll know as much as I do when you are
done reading.

-Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aftermarket DVD

I looked into aftermarket DVD and TV tuner options. My dealer said that they had not been able to satisfy another customer whose new Pilot they sent out to get an after-market DVD. The customer was very disappointed because the system had to be installed under the seat, rather than in the dashboard (factory model). I know that this limitation is coming from the dealer, so it might be a biased opinion, but I would ask WHERE an aftermarket unit will be placed before agreeing to have one installed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Aftermarket DVD

In my case, I would like to install DVD player under the seat. So, in future if I need to add NAV Screen In-Dash I can do it.

As far as size of the DVD player goes, they are much smaller in size and can be added side by side with NAV system. I have asked couple of installers and that's what they recommended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts