Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,190 Posts

Slightly related, but not quite... I was at the news stand after work today and reading AMI Auto World Magazine and there was a paragraph (forgot what page) that said the 2006 Pilot and Civic will be re-engineered -- whatever that means... :confused:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
kemosabe said:
Slightly related, but not quite... I was at the news stand after work today and reading AMI Auto World Magazine and there was a paragraph (forgot what page) that said the 2006 Pilot and Civic will be re-engineered -- whatever that means... :confused:

shhhhhh...

don't let florida_guy know!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
sfhondapilot said:

shhhhhh...

Yeah - it's rumored that it will have a new NAV system, a super-duper-do-everything stereo and a built in bike carrier... But don't tell florida_guy........:1:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
sfhondapilot said:

shhhhhh...

Too late! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
colorider said:

Yeah - it's rumored that it will have a new NAV system, a super-duper-do-everything stereo and a built in bike carrier... But don't tell florida_guy........:1:
All of that stuff is not nearly as important as this image I have of me having to drop my car off at the dealer to fix problems and get a ride to work more frequently when I buy my Pilot that I do now with my old Accord. The mechanic that fixes my Accord is close to work. The Honda Dealer won't be.

A post a couple of days ago by someone who owned both a Pilot and a Highlander and had many of the normal problems with the Pilot and no problems with the Highlander really bothered me.

Taking my car in for service is especially inconvenient for me because I'm single.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
florida_guy said:

All of that stuff is not nearly as important as this image I have of me having to drop my car off at the dealer to fix problems and get a ride to work more frequently when I buy my Pilot that I do now with my old Accord. The mechanic that fixes my Accord is close to work. The Honda Dealer won't be.

A post a couple of days ago by someone who owned both a Pilot and a Highlander and had many of the normal problems with the Pilot and no problems with the Highlander really bothered me.

Taking my car in for service is especially inconvenient for me because I'm single.
Oh-oh!!!! :eek:

Sounds like you are back on the HL side of the fence!!! :rolleyes:

Remember Nike!

In all seriousness, sometime people have a tendency to analyze things too far and they will never fully enjoy the item - any item - after they do get it (if they ever do).

Some of my very best and most enjoyable items that I have purchased over the years have been ones that were virtually "spur of the moment".

YMMV

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
florida_guy said:

If it's any consolation, florida_guy, I traded in a Highlander that had a few problems, similar to the Pilot. Neither vehicle warranted (no pun intended) a special trip to the dealer. I just asked that they look at a thing or two while doing the regular maintenance.

I had to call the Toyota dealer after trading in the Highlander, to cancel the apointment where they were going to do the door seal and moonroof TSBs.

There's a guy I work with who brags about his Audi A4, and how it's the best vehicle he's ever owned. Once every couple of months I give him a ride to pick up his car from the shop. They had it over a week this last time, trying to figure out what was causing the check-engine light to come on.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
jay said:

There's a guy I work with who brags about his Audi A4, and how it's the best vehicle he's ever owned. Once every couple of months I give him a ride to pick up his car from the shop. They had it over a week this last time, trying to figure out what was causing the check-engine light to come on.
My wife had an A4, and the Check Engine light came on all the time. THE DEALER told us to ignore it as long as the car drove fine, and it didn't stay on for more than four or five days.

She LOVES her new V!!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what new accessories are available for 2004 that will fit my 2003!!!!! More stuff!! Yeah!!!!

It's interesting that the page of future model information at CollegeHills Honda got yanked. Apparently the folks at Honda did not like that!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
colorider said:

Sounds like you are back on the HL side of the fence!!! :rolleyes:
That is an overstatement but I am telling me self to be careful not to ignore all the bad things I've read about hear. Whenever I think "Maybe I don't need the larger Pilot since I'm single." the next thought out of my mind is "But then I wouldn't have the hondapilot.org support group." I expect that I'd be able to get into a Highlander for significantly less money than a Pilot. But at this point buying a Highlander would definitely be "changing my mind".

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
jay said:

Once every couple of months I give him a ride to pick up his car from the shop. They had it over a week this last time, trying to figure out what was causing the check-engine light to come on.
I've read a few stories similar to that from Pilot owners here. They are rare, but do happen.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
florida_guy said:

I've read a few stories similar to that from Pilot owners here. They are rare, but do happen.
But, florida_guy, my main point was that the Pilot is a reliable, quality vehicle, as was the Highlander. So much so that this dude with the greatest car he's ever owned bums a ride from me back to the shop to get his greatest car every so often.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
jay said:

But, florida_guy, my main point was that the Pilot is a reliable, quality vehicle, as was the Highlander. So much so that this dude with the greatest car he's ever owned bums a ride from me back to the shop to get his greatest car every so often.
And I'm sure that the Pilot will be the greatest car I've ever owned but based on my considerable research here the odds are that I will I have a few problems with my Pilot that will require a trip to the dealership for warranty work. Then I will be the guy bumming a ride to work while they are being fixed. Maybe its worth it but its really not something you should have to put up with in a 30k vehicle.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
florida_guy said:

And I'm sure that the Pilot will be the greatest car I've ever owned but based on my considerable research here the odds are that I will I have a few problems with my Pilot that will require a trip to the dealership for warranty work. Then I will be the guy bumming a ride to work while they are being fixed. Maybe its worth it but its really not something you should have to put up with in a 30k vehicle.
I see your point, but like I said in an earlier post, my warranty work was done when other regular maintenance was done, so it didn't require an extra trip to the dealer, and I had to rent a car anyway for the regular maintenance work. Much the same with the Highlander.

Contrast that with a '96 Blazer that was in the shop 22 times in 20 months. Now that was a pain. (And for those who are wondering, the coffee at Jim McKay Chevrolet in Fairfax, VA, is awful, and the place is staffed with goons.)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
jay said:

I see your point, but like I said in an earlier post, my warranty work was done when other regular maintenance was done, so it didn't require an extra trip to the dealer, and I had to rent a car anyway for the regular maintenance work. Much the same with the Highlander.
I really have to be careful here because I appreciate your input on this and know that sometimes typed words don't come across like they are intended. I'm not being argumentative, just telling you where my head is.

The first scheduled maintenance is the 7500 mile oil change. That means 6 months or more of driving a new car with problems not fixed if you are going to wait for that.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I guess it comes down to what you consider a "problem." Check-engine lights, etc. are a problem. The dash ticking I knew from a TSB was not a problem, it could wait to be scheduled.

If you're picky, like most of the frequent posters on this board appear to be, you may experience a concern or two or three that need to be resolved, outside of the normal maintenance. If you're not picky, you may not experience anything you'd consider an issue, as several others have posted.

I'd rank the most trouble-free vehicles I've owned as:
'98 Accord
'03 Pilot
'01 Highlander
'89 Tercel

I'm definitely in the Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus camp. But I'm also picky, and most people who know me well know that a car I've owned for 6-12 months is better than brand new, because I've either fixed myself or had fixed all the nits, issues, concerns, or problems.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
florida_guy said:

I really have to be careful here because I appreciate your input on this and know that sometimes typed words don't come across like they are intended. I'm not being argumentative, just telling you where my head is.

The first scheduled maintenance is the 7500 mile oil change. That means 6 months or more of driving a new car with problems not fixed if you are going to wait for that.
Wouldn't the decision to have something repaired (if there is an item) depend on how major the problem? You MAY have a problem that requires immediate attention. You MAY have one that can wait till the next time you have your vehicle serviced (I personally have not figured out why people feel they are OBLIGATED to take their cars in for fluid changes - but that's another story). You MAY decide it is a non-problem and you can live with it.

Did you go through this much trouble when you bought your Accord???

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
DaCarMan said:
Nice change of topic, but no one said anything about the changes.
Probably because no one here REALLY knows what the change will be! :8:

A lot of wishful thinking for items like heated seats and available moon roof - or "better" NAV or stereo.

I'm guessing we are still close to 30 days away from learning anything concrete.

:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey Florida Guy. You're single with no kids. So why do you want a Pilot or a Highlander? If I was single and was going to spend 30K on a vehicle, it wouldn't be either of these two. I'd get an Accord before the Pilot, and for a lot less $$. Do you really need to seat 8? You sound like a Camry or an Accord kind of guy to me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts