Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 671 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy i pilot but i want to make sure i get the best price possible. How much did you pay for your pilot. Oh also state if its ex/lx and if you have a nav/dvd system. Thank you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Starlight Silver EX

$29,730 MSRP (destination charges included)
+ $160 for Mud Guards
+ $90 for Wheel Locks
+ $90 for Chrome Exhaust Tips

Yes, I know they way overcharged me for the accessories. But they conveniently forgot to tell me that they were putting them on and I didn't catch the small discrepency in the purchase price until about a week later when I was entering the whole thing into Quicken to track my loan. I thought that it all came with the vehicle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Starlight Silver EX

MSRP $29,730
No added accessories
No wait, but diligently searched around, found one 45 minutes from home (Kolbe Honda)
4.49% Financing
7.25% sales tax for Ventura County residents
HAPPY...no no no...EXTREMELY HAPPY

:2: :2: :1: :cool: :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Evergreen Pearl EX-L RES $32,480
Side steps 499
Backup sensors Free
======
$32,979 + Tax (of course)

·
Registered
25 Posts
SS EX-L RES - $32,480.00 (no add ons or fees, in and out the door for MSRP).

I'm active duty Air Force and I keep my state of Residence in Alaska, so since I always register my vehicles there I pay NO Sales Tax. Just one of the small perks for being in the military.

·
Registered
180 Posts
EXL-$30,980 (MSRP)

Mud guards - $0
Wheel locks - $0
Roof Rack - $0
Pin strip(still considering it) - $0

Bullsh*t Doc fees - $91 ( I think) Dealer claims every customer pays it...

Dealer threw in the freebies for all of the aggravation they caused me.

·
Registered
509 Posts
SANDSTONE METALLIC EX-L RES ($29,460.00):
+ 6.0% PA Sales Tax
+ $118.50 for PA Registration/Fees
@ 5.15%/60 mos.

HONDA SERVICE:
Auto Day/Night Installation ($36.00, est.)
CD Changer Installation ($72.00, est.)
Cross Bars Installation ($30.00)
Fog Lights Installation ($150.00)

TIM (HONDACURAWORLD):
Air Deflector, Form Fit ($0.00)
Auto Day/Night Mirror ($185.25)
Cargo Cover ($102.50)
Cargo Net ($28.40)
Cargo Tray ($66.69)
CD Changer ($392.73)
CD Changer, Extra Cartridge ($21.66)
Cross Bars for Roof Rails ($127.20)
Fog Lights ($246.05)
Rear Splash Guards ($30.87)
Running Boards ($365.68)
Touch Up Paint, Sandstone ($2.85)
Wheel Locks ($30.87)
Wood-Grain Trim, Dash ($132.14)
Wood-Grain Trim, Interior ($196.36)
Wood-Grain Trim, ($58.04)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey SoapPlant, you paid $29,460 for an EXL RES? You are my hero :6:

Thats gotta be a record!!!!! How did you possibly pull that off?

·
Registered
71 Posts
SoapPlant - I'm intrigued....do tell !!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Pilotless said:
Hey SoapPlant, you paid $29,460 for an EXL RES? You are my hero :6:

Thats gotta be a record!!!!! How did you possibly pull that off?
Yeah, was wondering if anyone would pick up on that or not! I sort of figured that I might get a bunch of "that's BS" in response, but I think I've always honest here in the group, and of course, I have proof!

Apparently, the dealer charged me the wrong price! We had been talking numbers for almost 100 days, and I forgot my info. when we were signing off on the papers. I know its not the way to do it, but I just trusted that their information was right and I didn't question it because it didnt' seem out of line. Now that I look at the papers, not quite sure exactly what they charged me for since the numbers don't match with the original deal we discussed. I didn't even have a chance to look at the papers until a day or two later after the dealer called me about it. We originally discussed $750 off MSRP.

The dealer finally called me back about 2 days later after they discovered the error. They claim that they charged me for the price of an Odyssey instead, and wanted me to come in right away to take care of the discrepancy, although all of the paperwork has the correct VIN # and vehicle. After all the hassle and delay that we've been through, I questioned my legal rights, as it being a completed sales transaction. They advised me that it was their mistake, and I had no legal obligation to pay the difference. The salesman indicated that it was his mistake, and he was throwing himself at my mercy.

My wife and I discussed it for a couple of days, and there's a variety of reasons we decided not to pay on the discrepancy. First and foremost, was the repeated delays and misinformation that we experienced during the sales process. We also felt that communication was lacking and we weren't treated like our business mattered. In addition, the 4.9% we negotiated was bumped to 5.15% when we financed less than the full amount of the loan. Also, the dealer didn't make a "lot" of money on the sale, but they certainly did not incur a loss at $195 and change over invoice, plus the back end money. We figure that they probably still cleared around $1,000 give or take? Finally, they didn't make any concessions to bridge the gap. We probably would have listened to some things like paint protection, extended warranty, free service or a reduced financing as a trade-off for our consideration in return. We would have been open to discussion, and probably would have come to a fair agreement. There's probably some other minor reasons that aren't coming to mind right now, but I think that covers the biggies.

We talked to the salesman on Friday and informed him of our decision. He asked that in return, if contacted my Honda for a satisfaction survey, I would provide a "favorable" rating for the transaction. That really shouldn't be a problem, although I wasn't pleased with everything about the transaction, in the end I couldn't be happier! He explained the whole, if its not a 5 then it really counts for a 0 philosophy on the satisfaction surveys. Considering the excellent deal that we received by pure luck, I don't have much of an issue with this concession on our part.

There was just a story about a similar situation in the newspaper around here on Friday. A guy was purchasing a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant, priced at $20,895, but the dealer only charged him $12,995. Now they're trying to take him to court, charging him $15/day for a storage fee on his trade-in, $45/day for a rental fee on the new car, and they also want to charge him for depreciation of the vehicle cost. It was a pretty big article, and the net effect was very bad publicity for the dealership, over a $7,900 discrepancy. I guess the bottom line is that for the $2,270 that they under charged be, its probably not worth the risk for bad publicity, or the added expense to litigate? In the end it would inevitably just end with them losing. There must have been like a dozen copies of the article on my desk from co-workers who read the same article and were aware of the decision that we were considering.

So there's my story. I've been dying to tell it for a couple days now. Keep in mind, this is me being happy, not cocky! I really had nothing to do with it, but purely good fortune! I guess this is one case where the dealer arrogance, that we've sometimes read about in this group, ended up costing the dealer in the end...

:1:

·
Registered
180 Posts
SoapPlant,

Your still my hero because you stuck to your guns. Anyway your original deal of $750 off of MSRP would still be considered fantastic.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You gotta love it when the dealer gets screwed for once. Bravo Soap! :22:

Believe it or not, this same thing happen when we bought my wife's car. When my wife and I went car shopping, I told her we couldn't afford all the goodies and she bought it. So she picked out a lower model car without all the goodies. They wrote up the papers, but we didn't seal the deal right away (I never buy a car on the spot, I always leave and come back, did the same with the Pilot).

I called the Saleman later and told him that I had decided to go with the top of the line with all of the goodies. When we went down to seal the deal, I negotiated price with them and they agreed to my price, which was a low-ball. I was very surprised that they didn't even balk at it. Turns out that the sales guy forgot to change the VIN on the papers he took to his manager to get approval so they thought we were buying the cheaper car.

Price difference was about $2300. For the first car, my offer was just below MSRP, so they took it. However, they drew up the sales papers for the new higher end car and of course we bought it and took it. later that week they called us to tell us about the error. I told them it wasn't an error as far as I was concerned as that was my offer and they accepted it. I felt bad for the sale guy, but hey, I still thought they came out OK. I offered them right around $500 above MSRP. That's enough profit for them. We didn't waste much of their time and we bought an extended warranty which I'm sure they made a little money on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Black EX-L

$30,980
+ 179 roof rails
+ 8.25% sales tax !?%#!

Since this is the SF Bay Area, where every other car is an Odyssey or MDX, I am happy with this price. It took a lot of work to get there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
SoapPlant,

What a great story:) I'm glad someone is getting a good deal on these Pilot's. Now everyone wish me the same deal at the end of this month(Sep).:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
My view..

I would have returned the money. What if something similar happens to us or what if we were in there place. We would'nt have just left money go. As a good samaritan it's our duty to report the mistake.

·
Registered
149 Posts
SoapPlant' Luck

SoapPlant, I am glad for you. Those people at the Honda Dealer where you bought the Pilot must be idiots -- the salesperson made the mistake, the general manager didnt catch it when reviewing the sale, the person processed the official invoice didnt catch it, and the finance person didnt catch it. What a way to run a business.

·
Registered
17 Posts
r_hammel:
You must mean you offered $500 over DEALER COST, not MSRP, correct? :confused:

SoapPlant:
Good for you! :22: I'm sure all of here have stories of how car dealers have tried to screw us one way or the other. Always good to hear when they have the tables turned on them! Don't think for one moment that they would allow YOU to change the agreement if originally favored THEM. They will try every possible way to make you pay the highest possible price on a car. They have sales meetings and seminars on how to do this. Although if I were you I wouldn't bring my Pilot back there for service!!

1 - 20 of 671 Posts