Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which brand or type of oil is best?

I know it needs to be 5-30W, but real or synthetic?

Quaker state, Castrol, Penzoil or???

How about additives?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Which beer is best? No real answer for beer or oil;)

Additives are NEVER needed in quality oil, and many of them make the base oil worse.

Any name brand petroleum oil is good. If I decide to use synthetic it will be Mobil 1. I also like the Mobil 1 synthetic media filter, don't know yet if one is made for the Pilot. The one filter I will NOT use is Fram, they used to be good but not anymore IMHO

Now if this board is like all the other automotive/motorcycle ones I'm on, there will be a huge debate with many opinions as to best oil, filter etc. :23:

Al

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thought it was 5W-20? Not 5W-30. Think I found Quaker State in 5W-20. Choices are limited at the P/X.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Actually I'm desperately hunting for Guinness Stout in a 5w-20:7:

Al

·
Registered
469 Posts
Best oil

I've personally used Castrol GTX oil in five Hondas in the past 14 years with excellent results. I change OIL and FILTER at 3,750 miles religiously and have had no oil usage. I have on Honda at 150,000+ miles, one at 148,000+ miles, and my laso Accord at 122,000+ miles. I haved looked at synthetic oils but find no reason to change what I'm doing. Even synthetic oils will get residue from combustion and operating products and get contaminated. Regular oil and filter changes with a good brand oil will get you through the night...

·
Registered
347 Posts
My dealer said I should only use 5w-20. My old car, I used 5w-30 because of where I live. Does it really matter which one I use?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 testing

l102374 said:
Our government at work - testing of Mobil 1 5W30...

Mobil 1 testing :20:
I get a test of PetroMoly oil at that link....not Mobil 1:confused:

Al

·
Registered
920 Posts
MPSpecter said:
My dealer said I should only use 5w-20. My old car, I used 5w-30 because of where I live. Does it really matter which one I use?
You can use 5W-30 in your Pilot with no problem-

·
Registered
920 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
rvehock said:
Mobil One Synthetic 5W-30 and an OEM Honda oil filter.
Have you compared the original filter part number to the one you get at your dealer?

Not sure if they are different for the Pilot or not, but because I also own a Miata and Tundra I can tell you that the factory filter and replacement dealer filter are very different on both of those vehicles. It is common knowledge in both of those forums that the original is of much better quality and the replacement part is not as good as aftermarket.

Just something you may want to consider.

The Mobil1 filter is VERY good, but for the same price you can get the AMSOIL filter, which is better both in filtration efficiency and contaminant capacity (and warranteed for use of 6 months/12,500 miles). But the filter I recommend to most people is the Purolator Pure1 -- filtration efficiency equal to the Mobil1, and capacity sufficient for up to 7,500 miles. The bonus is that it is half the cost of the Mobil1 filter. FWIW, the Mobil1 filter is good for approx. 10K miles, but IS NOT warranteed for intervals exceeding the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation.

~ Fred

P.S. (Disclaimer) I am an independent AMSOIL dealer. Note that I have nothing to gain by recommending the Pure1 filter, but for shorter drain intervals it is clearly the most cost-effective solution available for anyone wanting superior filtration.

·
Registered
50 Posts
pcperf said:
The information provided at this site is correct. But here are some points to consider:

- Would you run a 10W-40 oil in a car that specified 5W-30?
- If 5W-20 is available and meets the current industry standards, why not use what the manufacturer specified?
- Use of 5W-20 will provide better fuel economy -- this is why it was developed in the first place.

Finally, I disagree with the recomendation found at this link that any of you should use the AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 in your Pilot/MDX because it is overkill for this particular application. I use it in my Miata because I race it, but I use the AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 in my Tundra. My Pilot is less than a week old right now, but when the time comes it will get the AMSOIL XL-7500 5W-20. Whether you use AMSOIL or not, I'd recommend using a 20 wt oil. If it isn't readily available, do rest assured that using a 30 wt oil will be fine and will not void your warranty...

~ Fred

P.S. (Disclaimer) I'm an independent AMSOIL dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
RagerXS said:
Have you compared the original filter part number to the one you get at your dealer?

P.S. (Disclaimer) I am an independent AMSOIL dealer. Note that I have nothing to gain by recommending the Pure1 filter, but for shorter drain intervals it is clearly the most cost-effective solution available for anyone wanting superior filtration.
Fred, I buy my oil filters from Tim at Hondacuraworld.com. He sells six-pack of them (with the oil drain plug washer) for about $28 shipped. The filters are Honda Part #15400-P0H-305 and they are packaged as on OEM part. As for the Amsoil, I'll pass, way to rich for my blood ($5+ per quart) when you consider that I can purchase Mobil 5W-30 in the five quart conatiners at Wal-Mart for $17.88.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by rvehock Fred, I buy my oil filters from Tim at Hondacuraworld.com. He sells six-pack of them (with the oil drain plug washer) for about $28 shipped. The filters are Honda Part #15400-P0H-305 and they are packaged as on OEM part. As for the Amsoil, I'll pass, way to rich for my blood ($5+ per quart) when you consider that I can purchase Mobil 5W-30 in the five quart conatiners at Wal-Mart for $17.88.
That is a good price for the Mobil1, but you have to run a thicker than specified viscosity to use it...

Also, the price is $4/qt and $45/case through me for anyone mentioning this site. But this isn't my primary occupation, which is why these are wholesale prices -- I'm willing to pass along the savings I get.

Thank you for providing the part# of the replacement part. Does it match the # on the filter that came on your vehicle? Does it have any Japanese writing on it? Example: the Tundra is built here but the engines are shipped in from Japan and have a Japanese OEM oil filter on them. The replacements are made by Tenneco and painted with the colors/numbers Toyota tells them to put on them. The part numbers and internals are very different, and the cross-reference to aftermarket filters come up different as well...

Again, I'm still not certain this issue exists with Honda like it does with Toyota and Mazda, just trying to find out... Even if it does exist, those wanting to stick with OEM filters would be better off ordering the better of the two OEM filters. See where I'm coming from?

~ Fred

·
Registered
920 Posts
I will say this one more time...

I use K&N Gold oil filters with Mobil1 oil and go 7500+ miles b/t oil changes on my cars with noooooooooooo problems-

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by MG Pilot I will say this one more time...

I use K&N Gold oil filters with Mobil1 oil and go 7500+ miles on my cars with noooooooooooo problems-
There are many good choices and this is one of them. I expect your Pilot will last a long time -- quite frankly most that are interested enough to read this thread will likely stay up with maintenance and have theirs last a long time.

I'm curious how much the K&N oil filters are. My research says that they are on par with AC, which still a ways behind the Pure1.

Either way, it's so much better than a Fram or Generic brand (used in many quick lube shops)...

~ Fred

·
Registered
411 Posts
RagerXS said:
The information provided at this site is correct. But here are some points to consider:

- Would you run a 10W-40 oil in a car that specified 5W-30?
- If 5W-20 is available and meets the current industry standards, why not use what the manufacturer specified?
- Use of 5W-20 will provide better fuel economy -- this is why it was developed in the first place.
There is more of a difference betw. 10W-40 and 5W-30 than there is betw. 5W-30 and 5W-20. Honda even states that 5W-30 can be used.

Both Honda and Ford switched to recommending 5W-20, without redesigning their engines. They did not do this because it was better for the engines. Rather, they did this to help meet new fleet mileage requirements. Will it help to slightly improve mileage? Maybe. Will it help your engine last longer? No.

Even Amsoil can not figure out how to produce a 5W-20 oil in their high mileage formula. They can only produce a 7500 mile oil. They protection just isn't there.

Unless there is some breakthough technology, I will use 5W-30.

(By the way, Mobil 1 is coming out with a 5W-20 this Fall)

·
Registered
919 Posts
JungleJim said:
Honda even states that 5W-30 can be used.

[/B]
While I agree with most of what you said, the above statement is not true. The Honda manual lists 5W20 and only 5W20.

I will be using 5W30 for wider selection of choices (I know it's coming, but Mobil1 5W20 isn't out yet) and slightly improved protection.

Chris

1 - 20 of 29 Posts