Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
If no gaskets have been replaced, I'd simply start at the top.
  1. Valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals.
  2. PCV valve in valve cover.*
  3. Check the Vtec solenoid assembly gaskets. Any oil and dirt around the dipstick? This one can cost you an alternator if not replaced in time.
  4. Reseal spool valve with gasket maker, replacing the entire Vtec (VVT) Solenoid Assemblies with Spool Valve
  5. Oil filter housing gasket, bolted to oil pump.
  6. Cam seals
  7. Front main seal (crankshaft)
  8. This could likely be your problem.., The oil hole gasket behind the oil pump. This requires gasket maker between the oil pump and engine block.
  9. Reseal the oil pan with gasket maker.
  10. Cam thrust cover gasket replacement. These can leak on top of the transmission. Cam Thrust Cover Gasket Replacement
  11. Rear main seal, between engine and transmission. Rumor has it that there is one or 2 other O-ring gaskets around there too.
*added to list

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Pcv valve is another common leak on the front head.
Good point!
I'd replace it if it's old. It will help diminish pressure inside the engine, possibly less oil push out where it is leaking.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I clean it up with degreaser, now that it is clean I should see where the new oil is coming from. I did see oil on the oil pan bolts, maybe it is seeping through the bolt holes alittle. I as you can see in the picture it looks darker under the crank pulley. It is most likely a combination of things.

My best guess is these things:
  1. Cam seals
  2. Front main seal (crankshaft)
  3. Reseal the oil pan with gasket maker
I have to do the timing belt in a few weeks. I may have questions, I guess I'll be able to tell then if the Cam Seals or Crankshaft seal needs replacement as I am doing it. Are those seals hard to change.

Also I have some bushing in the back that are totally worn, I posted a pic. For a twelve year old rust belt car it looks pretty good underneath. Not much rust at all, some but not bad at all.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Serveware Bumper Kitchen utensil
Automotive tire Gas Artifact Close-up Art
Water Automotive tire Wood Grey Tire
Automotive tire Tire Wood Automotive wheel system Rim

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
When the timing belt comes off, it's not hard to replace the oil filter housing gasket and reseal the oil pump and install new oil hole gasket. Dropping the exhaust can be a pain if your in the salt belt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts