Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not much info on these as to whether or not to replace when you remove your oil pan. When I unscrewed the plug from the bottom of the oil pump, it all dropped out. So it was not stuck.
2012 V6 with 251k miles.
Opinions?

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,866 Posts
Me thinks that it is probably the Crosstour, not a Pilot, based on previous posts/threads.

·
Administrator
4,866 Posts
Not much info on these as to whether or not to replace when you remove your oil pan. When I unscrewed the plug from the bottom of the oil pump, it all dropped out. So it was not stuck.
2012 V6 with 251k miles.
Opinions?
View attachment 141176
Are you having oil pressure issues now. If not then "If it ain't broke why fix it?" Of course how much would it cost to do so in the long run.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me thinks that it is probably the Crosstour, not a Pilot, based on previous posts/threads.
Yes, and as in the previous post, I stated that these engine parts are same as on a 2012 Pilot. Hopefully if anyone is a knowledgeable Pilot owner who's been here before might have an opinion on the posted photo. Its obvious @xGS is looking to jab than stay on the subject matter.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you having oil pressure issues now. If not then "If it ain't broke why fix it?" Of course how much would it cost to do so in the long run.
I'd love to replace, but my local dealership can't get the parts until next Thursday because these come from another warehouse somewhere else. $50
I don't want to wait that long so it looks like I'm going back in with what I got. Oil pressure has been fine.

·
Administrator
4,866 Posts
I'd love to replace, but my local dealership can't get the parts until next Thursday because these come from another warehouse somewhere else. $50
I don't want to wait that long so it looks like I'm going back in with what I got. Oil pressure has been fine.
Well there you have it. Do it now and don't replace or wait and pay to replace. It it was $5 at Advanced Auto and they had them in stock, to me it's a no brainer. But that's not the situation.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Yes, and as in the previous post, I stated that these engine parts are same as on a 2012 Pilot. Hopefully if anyone is a knowledgeable Pilot owner who's been here before might have an opinion on the posted photo. Its obvious @xGS is looking to jab than stay on the subject matter.
Perhaps not everyone took note of your previous post and thus missed the continuity (until you edited the first post).

The OEM oil pump costs about $180 and would include the valve, the spring and the retaining bolt.
Apparently, the OEM pump bought from Honda also includes an oil pressure switch that also costs about $180.
At 250K miles, would it be worth it to replace the complete oil pump assembly?

Oil Pump (V6) (1) for 2012 Honda CROSSTOUR 5-DOOR | Majestic Honda Automotive Parts

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps not everyone took note of your previous post and thus missed the continuity (until you edited the first post).
You asked so I fixed it?
The OEM oil pump costs about $180 and would include the valve, the spring and the retaining bolt.
Apparently, the OEM pump bought from Honda also includes an oil pressure switch that also costs about $180.
At 250K miles, would it be worth it to replace the complete oil pump assembly?
I've thought about it but this vehicle hasn't had a hint of oil pressure problems.
Thank you for familiarizing yourself with this part. It's comforting to know you care so much for looking into this. It means a lot.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,259 Posts

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
... as well as during World Series broadcasts.
Not sure what the World Series has to do with Honda V6 engines.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well there you have it. Do it now and don't replace or wait and pay to replace. It it was $5 at Advanced Auto and they had them in stock, to me it's a no brainer. But that's not the situation.
Not finding Honda Relief Valve at Advanced. It looks to be pretty much a dealer item. Some bootlegged onto Amazon or Ebay.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since the relief valve was not stuck, I'll be reusing it again. Theses can fail if they become stuck in the cylinder by/with burnt sludge. As a precaution, I have cleaned the cylinder in the bottom of the pump that this fits in. Will pre-lube and install. After reading many posts, It's rare for oil pumps to fail. Using a good quality full synthetic oil obviously has benefits.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
That the dealer doesn't stock the relief valve suggests it's not a part that commonly fails.
It'd be interesting to know if they stock the complete oil pump assembly, or if they would have to order it.
Likewise, for local auto parts stores.
If someone is having sludge problems with the relief valve, the sludge is probably affecting other parts of the engine, too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts