Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 days when I started my Pilot, the oil pressure light started flashing. The first time it happened, I turned the engine off and checked the oil - which was fine - then restarted the engine and the light didn't come on. Today, when it happened again, I turned the engine off, waited a few seconds, then restarted the care. The light was off again. Anyone else have this problem? I plan on calling my Dealer tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.

Also, the engine RPMs rev high when I first start the car. Is this normal? I have an '89 Civic and it does this occasionally - but not when it was new.

Any advice anyone could give would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Take it to the dealer asap...this is not normal behavior. Your oil light should not be flashing for any reason whatsoever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Pilot's being towed

I called my dealer this morning - they're about 50 miles from where I live. They are towing my Pilot into the dealership to have it looked at. I hope this is an easy fix. I don't want to be without my Pilot! And I'm also concerned about possible future issues as a result. Good thing I didn't trade in my other car!

I also gave them my list of issues - ignition problems, rattle on driver's side pillar - and we'll see what they come up with. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Smart dealer

The flashing oil light sounds more like a minor electrical problem than a major mecanical one, but a good dealer would rather pay for a $100 tow and $2 sensor, then risk a $5000 engine.

The rattle in the drivers pillar sounds just like a problem, I posted under "3000 RPM Buzz"
The fix for me and several others has been to bend the bracket for the throttle cable a bit further from the inner fender.
It is a known problem on MDX, but it does not seem to be well known in the Honda service world.
Call them and point it out. They can call the nearest (or friendliest) Acura dealer for a verification of the fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you're right!

I would really like it to be just a little electrical problem. But we'll see. I'm glad they were willing to tow it, too. I called my salesman to let him know it was coming in and he was very surprised!

The rattle I'm hearing is coming from the pillar behind the driver's seat - not in the dash. It sounds like it's from the seatbelt, but I've adjusted it and tried to hold it while driving - but it keeps making noise. The radio doesn't even cover it becasue it's so close to my ear - just an annoying rattle/clicking noise that is almost constant, but worse on uneven/rough roads. We'll see what the dealer has to say!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did I hear you say "Rattle"

I believe low oil pressure would show up at idle when the oil is at its warmest and thinnest point, not at first start. Oil is thick at startup and pressure is generally higher than normal. I agree that it is most likely an electircal issue. But as they say, better safe than sorry. I am interested in your rattle. If you determine it is actually coming from the rear wheel area let us know on the "right rear rattle thread". Thanks, BPILOT

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any New Info?

Our Pilot is now doing this exact thing -- oil level is right at the full mark, occasionally the oil pressure warning light will blink but it does not stay on...

We are at 48K miles so I'd rather not have the dealer empty my wallet unnecessarily. If this is a simple fix I'm more than happy to do it myself or at least drive it in for the repair and avoid an expensive towing bill.

TIA,
~ Fred

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Any New Info?

RagerXS said:
Our Pilot is now doing this exact thing -- oil level is right at the full mark, occasionally the oil pressure warning light will blink but it does not stay on...

We are at 48K miles so I'd rather not have the dealer empty my wallet unnecessarily. If this is a simple fix I'm more than happy to do it myself or at least drive it in for the repair and avoid an expensive towing bill.

TIA,
~ Fred
If it is just coming on occaisionally, you can drive it a short distance gently.
If it is on steady then DO NOT DRIVE IT!!!

When is it comming on?
Any GOOD mechanic could check the sender.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It went away, then we went through two separate oil changes without issue, and now yesterday another occurence of a blinking oil pressure light. What a pain in the a$$. We are beyond the warranty period so I'm especially frustrated -- this is not what we chose a Honda for (this isn't the only issue we've had).

~ Fred

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If the problem started before your warranty was done, I would hope Honda would show a little goodwill and continue to diagnose/repair this problem free of charge. Especially considering it doesn't sound like they fixed it right the first time... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
RagerXS said:
It went away, then we went through two separate oil changes without issue, and now yesterday another occurence of a blinking oil pressure light. What a pain in the a$$. We are beyond the warranty period so I'm especially frustrated -- this is not what we chose a Honda for (this isn't the only issue we've had).

~ Fred
SOON, have any good mechanic check the pressure with a known good guage.

If it is just the sender its a $10 part (Guessing)

If it is low oil pressure it needs to be fixed BEFORE you destroy the engine!

·
Registered
920 Posts
RagerXS said:

~ Fred
Check your e-mail...

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
RagerXS said:

~ Fred

I Just noticed your sig line.

So, an AMSOIL dealer???

What grade have you been using?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Oil Grade

RagerXS said:
When I do it, I use the XL-7500 5W-20. When the dealer does it I have no way to know for sure what they use but assume it is their 5W-20.

~ Fred
Well, lets hope for a bad sender.

Quick, easy, and cheap fix.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: Any New Info?

RagerXS said:

TIA,
~ Fred
My Pilot did the same thing to me in Salt Lake City on a trip from So. Cal to North Dakota. I noticed it about 5 minutes after merging on I-15 after leaving one of their Wal-Marts. I immediately got off the Interstate and drove into a Shell's where I checked the oil, drain bolt and filter and everything looked normal so I gave it a few minutes. I turned the car back on the the light stayed on. Did the same thing a couple more times and nothing changed so I decided to add a bit more oil, even though I was already on full, and the light shut off. About 100 miles later, the light came back on, so I pulled over again shut the engine off and checked every thing again. Everything was fine. Turned the car back on, NO LIGHT. The light didn't come back on for the rest of the trip. When I got home it was time for the 30K maintenance and right after changing the oil, filter, and washer, I turned the car on and what do you know, THE DAMN LIGHT CAME ON. I checked my work and everything was as usual. I shut off the engine, turned it back on, NO LIGHT. Tried it again, LIGHT ON! I gave up and went inside just to give the car time to leak if it was gonna leak but I came back out about two hours later and their was no light. Several months later when the car reached 34K I turned it on and the light came on. I shut it down, turned back on and no light. Haven't had the light since. I'm currently at 35K so I can still have it fixed under warranty. To Me This Is Not Normal. What do you think?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Any New Info?

Cali_Pilot said:
My Pilot did the same thing to me in Salt Lake City on a trip from So. Cal to North Dakota. I noticed it about 5 minutes after merging on I-15 after leaving one of their Wal-Marts. I immediately got off the Interstate and drove into a Shell's where I checked the oil, drain bolt and filter and everything looked normal so I gave it a few minutes. I turned the car back on the the light stayed on. Did the same thing a couple more times and nothing changed so I decided to add a bit more oil, even though I was already on full, and the light shut off. About 100 miles later, the light came back on, so I pulled over again shut the engine off and checked every thing again. Everything was fine. Turned the car back on, NO LIGHT. The light didn't come back on for the rest of the trip. When I got home it was time for the 30K maintenance and right after changing the oil, filter, and washer, I turned the car on and what do you know, THE DAMN LIGHT CAME ON. I checked my work and everything was as usual. I shut off the engine, turned it back on, NO LIGHT. Tried it again, LIGHT ON! I gave up and went inside just to give the car time to leak if it was gonna leak but I came back out about two hours later and their was no light. Several months later when the car reached 34K I turned it on and the light came on. I shut it down, turned back on and no light. Haven't had the light since. I'm currently at 35K so I can still have it fixed under warranty. To Me This Is Not Normal. What do you think?
I agree. It is not normal.

The normal thing to do would be to have the problem looked at when it first happened.

(They make the OIL light RED for a reason!)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Cali_Pilot - Have it check as soon as possible. It should register a DTC and from there the service tech willl know what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
what does the light mean, low oil or low oil pressure?

It seems that you have enough oil in the system, but maybe it's not being circulated enough --> bad oil pump, maybe a bad oil pressure sending unit?

Get it checked out though :4: , especially before your warranty runs out. Just hope you can demonstrate the problem, otherwise you will get it back with nothing done except for the routine checks and a "Can't reproduce the problem" on the receipt. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
GreenMachine said:
what does the light mean, low oil or low oil pressure?

It seems that you have enough oil in the system, but maybe it's not being circulated enough --> bad oil pump, maybe a bad oil pressure sending unit?

Get it checked out though :4: , especially before your warranty runs out. Just hope you can demonstrate the problem, otherwise you will get it back with nothing done except for the routine checks and a "Can't reproduce the problem" on the receipt. :rolleyes:
LOW OIL PRESSURE!

About the same thing ever since they started showing up on cars in the 1950's.

A (very) few cars have low oil level lights.

And they usually also have low oil pressure lights!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts