Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you noticed on a crush washer for Honda it has a shiny side and a dull mat side. What side goes to the pan ?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Not sure of the pure technical method but aesthetically shiny side out for me. Plus I will state I have never had a problem reusing a crush washer in good shape in a pinch. Never had a leak or issue to report....flame on ;)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Not sure of the pure technical method but aesthetically shiny side out for me. Plus I will state I have never had a problem reusing a crush washer in good shape in a pinch. Never had a leak or issue to report....flame on ;)
Direction doesn't matter.

I like to add a bit of Teflon thread sealant to the threads on the drain plug, plus a smear of same on each face of the washer. Then reduce tightening torque by 10-20%. This makes it a lot easier to get the plug out next time, has the same effective clamping force on the washer, and prevents galling and work-hardening the faces of the washer so it can be reused. Same on the gearbox fill and drain plug/bolt/washers.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's like aluminum foil in your kitchen.... the dull / shiny difference is a manifacturing process result, has no application differences.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
It's like aluminum foil in your kitchen.... the dull / shiny difference is a manifacturing process result, has no application differences.
My OCD getting the better of me, I actually make a point of putting the shiny side on the inside when barbecuing potatoes, chicken, etc., the thinking being that it will reflect the heat back toward the food better. o_O

But I think the crush washer thing is overthinking it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My OCD getting the better of me, I actually make a point of putting the shiny side on the inside when barbecuing potatoes, chicken, etc., the thinking being that it will reflect the heat back toward the food better. o_O

But I think the crush washer thing is overthinking it. :rolleyes:
Then you would not have true OCD ..you would be questioning the proper way with the crush washer install since it has to be perfect or it's not right :)

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Then you would not have true OCD ..you would be questioning the proper way with the crush washer install since it has to be perfect or it's not right :)
But I just changed my PS fluid the second time in as many weeks. In my defense, I'm doing a 3x pump 'n' fill over the course of three weeks.

I will take issue, nevertheless, with your advocating the use of ATF in the PS. The PS fluid that rightly goes in there should be the same light golden brown as the duck sauce you dip your egg rolls in at the Chinese buffet.

Not the cherry red sweet 'n' sour sauce ATF that goes only in the transmission.

That irks my OCD to no end. o_O

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Never put Duck Sauce in the steering or... <drum roll...> you might quack up.?

Don't risk it!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I use a Fumoto valve on the pilot, so I have never changed the crush washer.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,954 Posts
I’m so observant I didn’t even notice the crush washer has a shiny side and a dull side.?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m so observant I didn’t even notice the crush washer has a shiny side and a dull side.?
Don't worry neither did I until my 7 year old asked me why it's two colors when he wanted to help with the oil change. :)

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Duplicate Post

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But I just changed my PS fluid the second time in as many weeks. In my defense, I'm doing a 3x pump 'n' fill over the course of three weeks.

I will take issue, nevertheless, with your advocating the use of ATF in the PS. The PS fluid that rightly goes in there should be the same light golden brown as the duck sauce you dip your egg rolls in at the Chinese buffet.

Not the cherry red sweet 'n' sour sauce ATF that goes only in the transmission.

That irks my OCD to no end. o_O
Now i'm in the mood for food ...thanks :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Direction doesn't matter.

I like to add a bit of Teflon thread sealant to the threads on the drain plug, plus a smear of same on each face of the washer. Then reduce tightening torque by 10-20%. This makes it a lot easier to get the plug out next time, has the same effective clamping force on the washer, and prevents galling and work-hardening the faces of the washer so it can be reused. Same on the gearbox fill and drain plug/bolt/washers.
Any chance you mind sharing a link to what you use?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
It's a very common Oatey thread sealing paste. <used to be> In the plumbing aisle at Home Depot. White-and-grey can ( I use it on lots of things...) or a small tube. The can has a handy brush in the cap. I keep it in a zip-loc bag in my chemicals fridge in the garage. Like anti-seize, it comes off of fingers most easily with dishwashing detergent like Dawn liquid. Or throwaway nitrile gloves you have on already for the oil contact.

Delivered to you in a few days:

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Don't worry neither did I until my 7 year old asked me why it's two colors when he wanted to help with the oil change. :)
Leave it to kids to make you second guess things you've been doing your whole life. My 6 year old is the same way.

I use a Fumoto on the Pilot and the Traverse. It's a beautiful thing.

For anything with a crush washer I bought a bag of them and put a new one on, never paid attention to the faces and never had any leaks.

The Traverse's transmission drain plug has threads filled with a sealant, so each time you install the drain plug you turn it an extra half a turn to reseal the threads. Kind of weird but it works.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's a very common Oatey thread sealing paste. <used to be> In the plumbing aisle at Home Depot. White-and-grey can ( I use it on lots of things...) or a small tube. The can has a handy brush in the cap. I keep it in a zip-loc bag in my chemicals fridge in the garage. Like anti-seize, it comes off of fingers most easily with dishwashing detergent like Dawn liquid. Or throwaway nitrile gloves you have on already for the oil contact.

Delivered to you in a few days:
Thank you.
I appreciate it. I'll pick up some this week.

I hate....
(Edited to add)
.... when the drain plug is over tightened. Whatever kid the dealership pays to do oil changes just grips and rips.

Actually the real reason is sliding my fat ass under the Pilot (no I don't jack it up) isn't as easy at it used to be and when it's too tight its annoying.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Thank you.
I appreciate it. I'll pick up some this week.
I hate
What do you hate? Complete the thought I'm on the edge of my seat wanting to know!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts