Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
That's like people on printer forums who ask how many pages they can print with an ink cartridge. I think the maintenance minder has an algorithm that combines several variables, not just miles.

But if you want a ballpark figure, before the MM, Honda recommended 7,500 miles or every year, whichever comes first. You could probably stretch that a bit with good synthetic oil.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input, thats gives me an idea on how often should be change.

with 150,000 on the clock my plan is to change it every 5,000 miles so I guess at about 20 percent of life.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
Take a look at the 2005 Pilot’s maintenance schedule. It will give you a ballpark of what Honda recommended prior to going with the maintenance minder for all the other scheduled items. If your is an AWD you will need to add transfer case gear oil to the list (2003-05 transfer case shared fluid with tranny).

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Thank you for your input, thats gives me an idea on how often should be change.
with 150,000 on the clock my plan is to change it every 5,000 miles so I guess at about 20 percent of life.
If you (change the oil and) reset the maintenance minder/oil life display at 20%, then you'll miss seeing the codes for all of the other required maintenance items that don't appear until the oil life gets down to 15% or less.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you (change the oil and) reset the maintenance minder/oil life display at 20%, then you'll miss seeing the codes for all of the other required maintenance items that don't appear until the oil life gets down to 15% or less.
Good point xGS,

OK, the oil was at 100% when I bought it, I reset the odometer back to zero am going to run this one to 15% to see what other codes comes up before I do my first oil change.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I change my oil every 6,000 miles regardless of what the MM reads. However I do not reset the MM until it hits 15% so I can see the suggested maintenance codes when they come up. Then I reset it to 100%. Before I began this routine, the MM hit 15% around 9,000 miles after the previous oil change, give or take. I do a lot of highway driving, not sure if my MM results/mileage would be the same if it were more city driving. So now I end up with 3 oil changes in the same mileage (i.e.: 18,000 miles) that used to take 2 oil changes when I strictly followed the MM. I am doing it this way because I had to make some long trips (i.e.: 1,500 to 2,000 miles) when the MM was sitting at 30%. On one occasion I had to interrupt a trip for an oil change 600 miles from home when the "maintenance due soon" notation came up along with the infamous 15% number on the dash. I hated that experience, so I decided to take control of scheduled maintenance by doing more than the MM code required.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I change my oil every 6,000 miles regardless of what the MM reads. However I do not reset the MM until it hits 15% so I can see the suggested maintenance codes when they come up. Then I reset it to 100%. Before I began this routine, the MM hit 15% around 9,000 miles after the previous oil change, give or take. I do a lot of highway driving, not sure if my MM results/mileage would be the same if it were more city driving. So now I end up with 3 oil changes in the same mileage (i.e.: 18,000 miles) that used to take 2 oil changes when I strictly followed the MM. I am doing it this way because I had to make some long trips (i.e.: 1,500 to 2,000 miles) when the MM was sitting at 30%. On one occasion I had to interrupt a trip for an oil change 600 miles from home when the "maintenance due soon" notation came up along with the infamous 15% number on the dash. I hated that experience, so I decided to take control of scheduled maintenance by doing more than the MM code required.
The "maintenance due soon" message is not the same as the "maintenance due now" message.
The "maintenance due now" message doesn't appear until the oil life goes down to 5%, or less.

Based upon the way you use your vehicle, if the oil life reaches 15% at around 9,000 miles, then you have about another 1,500 miles to go before reaching 0%. So, you could have easily gone another 600 miles to get home without having had to interrupt your trip by stopping for an oil change.

Likewise, with 30% oil life remaining you could go at least another 3,000 miles before needing an oil change, which is much more than the length of your long (1,500 to 2,000 miles) trips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts