Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Honda Pilot and I have been working on the oil pan because it was leaking... it is still leaking even after I applied the new Honda bond. I read somewhere that leakage might be caused by over tightening the bolts. After multiple 10mm broken bolts later, I am asking if anyone knows the recommended torque for the 10mm bolts that go into the pan? Or any other input as to why it is still leaking would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I have an 04 Honda Pilot and I have been working on the oil pan because it was leaking... it is still leaking even after I applied the new Honda bond. I read somewhere that leakage might be caused by over tightening the bolts. After multiple 10mm broken bolts later, I am asking if anyone knows the recommended torque for the 10mm bolts that go into the pan? Or any other input as to why it is still leaking would be greatly appreciated!
104in lbs
An oil pan can leak, but if the oil pump has never been resealed, I'm looking at that too. The oil hole gasket goes flat and hardens with age, and the Honda bond deteriorates.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I am not having an issue with the oil pump though. It is leaking out of the corner of the oil pan.
Ok.
Just be mindfull that this gasket eventually leaks.It's best done when replacing the timing belt.
Thing about Honda Bond, once it dries, if you tighten the bolt more, it splits. I hate to say do it again. 😓
I used Permatex Ultra Black. So far so good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok.
Just be mindfull that this gasket eventually leaks.It's best done when replacing the timing belt.
Thing about Honda Bond, once it dries, if you tighten the bolt more, it splits. I hate to say do it again. 😓
I used Permatex Ultra Black. So far so good.
Can you rephrase what you said? You used Permatax Ultra Black for the glue for your pan? I’m trying to troubleshoot why the pan still might be leaking even after re-installation and applying the Honda bond on.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Can you rephrase what you said? You used Permatax Ultra Black for the glue for your pan? I’m trying to troubleshoot why the pan still might be leaking even after re-installation and applying the Honda bond on.
After cleaning the mating surfaces, and buffing each bolt clean, I used Permatex Ultra Black as my gasket maker. I put a heavy bead around the pan and around each bolt hole. I followed the recommended bolt pattern after snugging each bolt before the final torque of 104in lbs.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
You always have apprehension when using a different product outside the box. I'll be honest and say that I am not impressed with Honda bond. I've always got oil leaking around the pan! Permatex has been around ever since I can remember, so I picked up the Ultra Black, good for like 500°F (they have some now higher than that). I used it on the spool valves on the heads. That was 64k miles ago and still holding strong. So when it came time to do the oil pump and pan, I picked up 2 more tubes. So far I'm well pleased.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You always have apprehension when using a different product outside the box. I'll be honest and say that I am not impressed with Honda bond. I've always got oil leaking around the pan! Permatex has been around ever since I can remember, so I picked up the Ultra Black, good for like 500°F (they have some now higher than that). I used it on the spool valves on the heads. That was 64k miles ago and still holding strong. So when it came time to do the oil pump and pan, I picked up 2 more tubes. So far I'm well pleased.
Thank you for the advice, very helpful. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts