Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the nylon drain plug washers? Went to the parts store today for a replacement washer and they only stock the nylon washers. I have never used them so I am a little skeptical

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Bought a pack of crush washers from Amazon for under ten bucks. Never had a problem reusing a crush washer but they get tossed when severely deformed.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I have always reused the aluminum and copper ones and have no issues. The nylon ones will split in time and you will have leaks so I don't recommended using them.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
I reused the OEM for years. I did actually change it on the last oil change. This damn forum LOL

Reactions: Abaton6 and aggrex

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I'd reuse aluminum washer before using plastic. Nylon is just a fancy word for plastic.
If your aluminum crush washer is deforming, your tightening your drain plug to tight. The only time I've ever replaced these is if I have lost it.

Reactions: Hondamon and aggrex

·
Registered
129 Posts
order a bunch of washers on ebay

you can also run them on sandpaper to renew and reuse

or just reuse

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the nylon drain plug washers? Went to the parts store today for a replacement washer and they only stock the nylon washers. I have never used them so I am a little skeptical
I have seen nylon sealing washers in other applications and they hold up well to chemicals (including oil) and relatively high temps. Dorman, whose products I like, sells them but given the very limited reviews on Amazon (although none are bad), I'd opt for the cheaper aluminum ones. Notice price $3+ and lack of reviews.

Amazon.com: Dorman 097-001 AutoGrade Nylon Oil Plug Gasket: Automotive

You can have 50 aluminum ones for $8 and change tomorrow, give some to family and friends or the auto shop that doesn't have any.

Amazon.com: 50 Pieces Aluminum Engine Oil Crush Washers Drain Plug Gaskets Compatible with Part 94109-14000 Fits Civic, Accord, CR-V/CRV, Pilot, and More: Automotive

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I have seen nylon sealing washers in other applications and they hold up well to chemicals (including oil) and relatively high temps. Dorman, whose products I like, sells them but given the very limited reviews on Amazon (although none are bad), I'd opt for the cheaper aluminum ones. Notice price $3+ and lack of reviews.

Amazon.com: Dorman 097-001 AutoGrade Nylon Oil Plug Gasket: Automotive

You can have 50 aluminum ones for $8 and change tomorrow, give some to family and friends or the auto shop that doesn't have any.

Amazon.com: 50 Pieces Aluminum Engine Oil Crush Washers Drain Plug Gaskets Compatible with Part 94109-14000 Fits Civic, Accord, CR-V/CRV, Pilot, and More: Automotive
Oil and ATF drain plug gasket discussions honestly just blow my mind. Seriously. 🤯

Reactions: Abaton6

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Oil and ATF drain plug gasket discussions honestly just blow my mind. Seriously. 🤯
Personally, I don't like the aluminum crush washers. I like the kind that really crush, like spark plug sealing washers and the copper folded over type like my wife's Rogue uses. I get a good seal using the contact plus half or so a turn method than having to torque down on the seemingly crushless solid alum ones. Maybe why it just blows my mind seeing so many discussions about stripped oil pan threads. I can't tell you how many oil changes I've done using real crush washers and never had a leak or stripped a oil pan thread nor did I even own a torque wrench when I was a kid doing my own maintenance.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Personally, I don't like the aluminum crush washers. I like the kind that really crush, like spark plug sealing washers and the copper folded over type like my wife's Rogue uses. I get a good seal using the contact plus half or so a turn method than having to torque down on the seemingly crushless solid alum ones. Maybe why it just blows my mind seeing so many discussions about stripped oil pan threads. I can't tell you how many oil changes I've done using real crush washers and never had a leak or stripped a oil pan thread nor did I even own a torque wrench when I was a kid doing my own maintenance.
I like the aluminum ones that come with Honda vehicles. They can be reused for the life of the vehicle if no one over tightens them. One moderate tug with a 3/8 ratchet is all that is needed. No leaks. Just dont fumble your drain plug and loose your lifetime aluminum drain plug gasket along the grass edge. It cost me a trip to my local auto parts store. kick self

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I like the aluminum ones that come with Honda vehicles. They can be reused for the life of the vehicle if no one over tightens them. One moderate tug with a 3/8 ratchet is all that is needed. No leaks. Just dont fumble your drain plug and loose your lifetime aluminum drain plug gasket along the grass edge. It cost me a trip to my local auto parts store. kick self
I always seemed to have a better "feel" for how much to tighten the real crush washers, even though I've reused them on ocasion. The problem with "moderate tug" is it varies depending on who is tugging and how recently their wife pissed them off. I just don't get all the stripped oil pan threads threads.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I always seemed to have a better "feel" for how much to tighten the real crush washers, even though I've reused them on ocasion. The problem with "moderate tug" is it varies depending on who is tugging and how recently their wife pissed them off. I just don't get all the stripped oil pan threads threads.
If one has OCD and have a fear of their drain plug falling out, there is a torque spec. If you torque the drain plug properly, you can enjoy the use of the aluminum drain plug gasket for the life of the vehicle on both engine oil and ATF. The ATF gasket may need to be centered just before contact is made. The bolt can indent the inner edge if not centered.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
If one has OCD and have a fear of their drain plug falling out, there is a torque spec. If you torque the drain plug properly, you can enjoy the use of the aluminum drain plug gasket for the life of the vehicle on both engine oil and ATF. The ATF gasket may need to be centered just before contact is made. The bolt can indent the inner edge if not centered.
My point exactly. Never owned a torque wrench in days or yore, nor had any leaks, wheels fall off or stripped drain plug threads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts