Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick question. So I was trying to put oil in the engine and it spilled over engine parts (pics 1-4) So I鈥檓 using water and sanitizing liquid to get it off. Is it Okay to drive? Plus it鈥檚 about to rain!!馃槵

Attachments

Registered
I would put a very small amount of Dawn dish soap in a gallon jug of water, shake it up and slowly pour over the oily area. Start it up, see how bad it smokes. if it smokes a lot, turn it off, let it cool. Maybe another round of Dawn mixed in water. If it's fixin' to rain, put the hood down.

Reactions: WannaLearn

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been on for 15 minutes no smoke or smell...but from when I dropped power steering fluid on the engine Back in March I think my engine + engine bay need a wash.
As far as Now though.. just reached in with a bottle with the sanitizer, put a hole in the cap...aimed and squeezed on the oily parts (Covered the oil cap with a rag, shouldve just put the cap back on which I eventually did) Then slowly poured some water over the wet parts (think a little water fell in the oil hole...little) But seems to be running for now... about to drive it and hopefully it drives good馃槀馃し馃従

Registered
Banned from wife鈥檚 2005 Pilot LX
I鈥檓 guessing you might need to invest in a funnel.馃榿

Registered
I use a degreaser. Let the engine cool. Spray a degreaser/ gunk has a citrus based one. Let it sit for a few mins then hose the engine down being careful with the air intake. Then wash the outside of the car with a car wash soap. Unless that engine has covid, sanitizer wont work unless it also degreases.

Registered
Been on for 15 minutes no smoke or smell...but from when I dropped power steering fluid on the engine Back in March I think my engine + engine bay need a wash.
As far as Now though.. just reached in with a bottle with the sanitizer, put a hole in the cap...aimed and squeezed on the oily parts (Covered the oil cap with a rag, shouldve just put the cap back on which I eventually did) Then slowly poured some water over the wet parts (think a little water fell in the oil hole...little) But seems to be running for now... about to drive it and hopefully it drives good馃槀馃し馃従
Sure hope it was very, very, very little water in the oil. Not knowing what a 鈥渓ittle鈥 is, I would be inclined to drain/change the oil. It would be very costly to find out 鈥渁 little鈥 is 鈥渁 little鈥 too much.

Reactions: aggrex

Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
If you are in doubt, take the car out for a drive, let it warm up all the way, and drive for a while. The water will be vaporized, vented into the intake, and then passed through the intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust cycles, before being vented with more water vapor through the exhaust.

Registered
So I was trying to put oil in the engine and it spilled over engine parts (pics 1-4) So I鈥檓 using water and sanitizing liquid to get it off
Based off the pics wiping down the oil or the Dawn suggestion should be enough. Now the amount of H2O that may have spilled into the uncovered oil hole would make me want to perform an oil change. Pickup a funnel at Walmart to prevent this type of mess.

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
As long as it wasn't something like this, you should be OK. :)

Registered
As long as it wasn't something like this, you should be OK. :)

Hold on, that's not how you do it? I've been doing it wrong all these years, and my neighbors really like the view when the boys are hanging below the red dress...

Reactions: plplplpl

Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
I just pour fluids into the one big "OIL" hole in my engine. Engine oil, transmission oil, differential oil, power steering oil, whatever. Just put it all in the one hole and it's smart enough to take it to wherever it needs to go.

Registered
Since water is heavier than oil and will sit at the very bottom of the oil pan where the oil pick-up is located, a slug of water could be picked up 1st, pumped under pressure thru/around main bearings, rod bearings, camshaft journals, etc., well before getting hot enough to be vaporized,,,,,,I would sleep better knowing I drained it and refilled with fresh oil. But that鈥檚 just me.馃し鈥嶁檪锔 A bearing can be scored/damaged in a split second without proper lubrication.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts