Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil and filter changed our 2019 EX on 11/1/20. The car was driven 54 miles before stored in the garage for about 5 weeks. I'd start it once a week, mostly left on idle and accelerated to 2 - 2.5K RPM to reach normal engine temperature for 10-15 minutes. This morning I checked the oil life and it was at 90%. Is this normal behavior? I wonder if maintenance minder takes time into account and not only miles driven.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
Oil life is not mileage dependent. If you read the manual regarding the MM you will find a side note that advises the oil should be changed every 12 months. Being a 2019 it obviously had oil in it since 2019. The dealer may have reset the MM or they may have changed the oil, depending on how long they had had it on the lot, as well as the quality of the dealer. Some go the cheap way out, some go the right way out. A good dealer would have changed the oil if it was getting close to 1 year, a cheap dealer would reset the MM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil life is not mileage dependent. If you read the manual regarding the MM you will find a side note that advises the oil should be changed every 12 months. Being a 2019 it obviously had oil in it since 2019. The dealer may have reset the MM or they may have changed the oil, depending on how long they had had it on the lot, as well as the quality of the dealer. Some go the cheap way out, some go the right way out. A good dealer would have changed the oil if it was getting close to 1 year, a cheap dealer would reset the MM.
Oh, I forgot to mention. I've been performing service since day one, following all maintenance minder items and on time, then reset MM. Currently at 9300 miles, purchased on 12/2018. Haven't driven the car much since pandemic started so we can confirm MM also takes time into calculation regarding oil life.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Oil and filter changed our 2019 EX on 11/1/20. The car was driven 54 miles before stored in the garage for about 5 weeks. I'd start it once a week, mostly left on idle and accelerated to 2 - 2.5K RPM to reach normal engine temperature for 10-15 minutes. This morning I checked the oil life and it was at 90%. Is this normal behavior? I wonder if maintenance minder takes time into account and not only miles driven.
I can see very few miles driven over time being part of the MM algorithm quickly going from 100% to 90%. When you say “normal engine temp”, the temp needle stops moving at about 160F coolant temp so you may not be reaching actual normal engine temp of 185F+, which is part of the MM algorithm. Take in to consideration what is “not normal”.......your operating conditions over 6 weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can see very few miles driven over time being part of the MM algorithm quickly going from 100% to 90%. When you say “normal engine temp”, the temp needle stops moving at about 160F coolant temp so you may not be reaching actual normal engine temp of 185F+, which is part of the MM algorithm. Take in to consideration what is “not normal”.......your operating conditions over 6 weeks.
Totally fine with me that oil life dropped quickly given my operating conditions, as long as it’s normal. Took the Pilot out today, on surface streets for 15 miles.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That drive most likely got the motor closer to normal operating temp.

We had a '17 CRV and the 15% MM oil change due always came on at <4K miles, due to our driving style. Other folks were getting 10K oil change intervals, due to their driving styles.

Reactions: random

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
203 Posts
Before Covid my wife drove 90% highway. 15% olm 7500 miles. During Covid she worked from home, going into the office 1 day a week. 90% city driving 5500 miles at 15% olm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That drive most likely got the motor closer to normal operating temp.

We had a '17 CRV and the 15% MM oil change due always came on at <4K miles, due to our driving style. Other folks were getting 10K oil change intervals, due to their driving styles.
The same goes for our 2012 CRV because of our driving habits. 0% on MM at 4-5K miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before Covid my wife drove 90% highway. 15% olm 7500 miles. During Covid she worked from home, going into the office 1 day a week. 90% city driving 5500 miles at 15% olm.
My first oil and filter change was at 4400 miles, most recent at 9300. Mostly city driven, but have taken 500 and 300 mile round trip road trips.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Remember when there was no 'gadget' about when to change the oil?

Me too. Does it look clean? What's the problem then?

Especially for this Honda V6 eingine- what's it called? I'll look it up.
Oh yeah- Earth Dreams? WTF?

Anyways, so many systems in this motor rely on good oil- changing it early is cheap preventative maintenance, IMHO.
I don't really go by the MM, I reset it though.
I'm actually now doing tranny d&f's also on my 2wd 08 now too! So far, tranny is golden.

Reactions: random

·
Registered
303 Posts
Bringing RPMs up in park for more than a minute or so will absolutely decrease the % on the MM. I did the same to help charge the battery, and mine dropped 10% in 10 minutes.

High idle speeds cause engine wear and tear, and I'm sure that's built into the algorithm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts