Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Oil Leak

4K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  kemosabe 
#1 ·
My 2003 Pilot has been leaking oil since I took delivery of it in Jan.
The dealer's service dept has sealed bolts, replaced the oil pump
and the front crankshaft seal all to no avail. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have the manufacturer involved but they have not been much help so far. I am a past
Honda satisfied customer but this makes me question the quality of what's comming out of their factories now. The service manager
told me that this is a new engine for the 2003 Pilot and Odyssey
that was used in the Acura RL and they have had numerous problems with them but I am not 100% sure if that's true. Any info would be much appreciated.

**UPDATE** I got the Pilot back and it looks like the
leak is fixed. They replaced the water pump and sealed some more bolts which appears to have solved the problem. Thanks to all
for your help and support.

#2 ·
#3 ·
#4 ·
Thanks gksmith for the quick reply. That TSB was the first repair the dealer did (oil pump replacement and bolts sealed). but that didn't solve the problem. Next they put dye in the oil and used a special light to track the source of the leak. That brought them to the front crankshaft seal so they replaced that also. Now they say it appears the leak is still comming from the crankshaft seal.
Wish me luck.

#6 ·
RipRocK said:

Does this site require you to pay to become a member? I couldn't get the page when I clicked on it. Thanks.
No. It's like this site only smaller. I joined it before discovering this site. Both cross-list each other's threads.

#7 ·
TSB 01-009 dated Sep 10, 2002

V6 Engine Oil Leaks that can potentially affect some Pilots

Observations:
Oil leak from either the front, middle, or rear part of the engine. This is due to the porus nature of the cast aluminum engine block.

Resolutions:
Seal with 3-bond-coated sealing bolts or JB Weld.

This is a very intensive fix and is best left to the certified Honda Master mechanics who have the right tools to do the job.

#8 ·
I should have made one long post.

I had a Ford PU that had a similar issue. The problem was a small burr on the casing that prevent a tight seal. When the mechanics too the thing apart they did a quick filing down of the buff and then things were fine.

#9 ·
Apparently I am in and endless loop now...

that last message has lots of typos...

#12 ·
badpilot said:
Update: Honda has ordered a new engine block for my Pilot and
I should have it back sometime next week. I hope that this is the
end of my troubles with this vehicle because I really like driving
it and I'm dying to take it on the beach this summer.
Hey Badpilot,
Sorry to hear about all the trips to the shop!
When you say the ordered an engine block, do you mean the are replacing the whole engine? if so, I thought there was a lemon law in N.Y. You should have exercised that right. You made more than 3 trips to the shop for the same problem. I guess its easier said than done.
Keep us up to date with the repair.

Pilotcrazy

#13 ·
It's actually what they call a short block which means there will be
a quite a bit of disconnecting and re-connecting of components
but I'm trying to be optomistic and not think about that. As far as the lemon law, I just fall short of the requirements (4 attempts
to repair the same problem or 30 days out of service.) It's the fourth attempt right now and it's out of service for 16 days as
of today. Thanks for you comments.

#14 ·
badpilot said:
It's actually what they call a short block which means there will be
a quite a bit of disconnecting and re-connecting of components
but I'm trying to be optomistic and not think about that. As far as the lemon law, I just fall short of the requirements (4 attempts
to repair the same problem or 30 days out of service.) It's the fourth attempt right now and it's out of service for 16 days as
of today. Thanks for you comments.
Thanks for setting me straight on the Lemon law. I think it will be fixed this time around. This is my 4 honda in 11 years, (Im a leasee) and they really are a great car. I love my Pilot. It is best of the bunch. I am going on 8000 trouble free miles since I picked it up last June. And you will love it once the get it back on the road.

From the other ISLANDER (Staten Island)

Pilotcrazy (Eugene)

#15 ·
A little late I guess but we've had the same problem (crankshaft seal leak) and they can't seem to fix it. Just told it's leaking again. This will be the fourth trip to the shop, and Colorado also has a 4-strikes lemon law. We really like the car but we are also really disappointed - we got it because of Honda's legendary reliability.

Anyway replies to this thread and your experience will help in discussing this with Honda!

drrocks

#17 ·
Hey badpilot

How goes it? did the short block fix your oil leak problem?

PilotCrazy

#18 ·
After working with Honda engineering my dealer replaced the water
pump and some more bolts with sealing bolts (whatever they are)
which appears to have fixed the problem. I driven about 100 miles
so far without any leaks and it seems to be running good. I'm
cautiously optomistic that I can finally start enjoying my Pilot.
Thanks to all for your help and support.:) :) :)

#19 ·
badpilot said:
After working with Honda engineering my dealer replaced the water
pump and some more bolts with sealing bolts (whatever they are)
which appears to have fixed the problem. I driven about 100 miles
so far without any leaks and it seems to be running good. I'm
cautiously optomistic that I can finally start enjoying my Pilot.
Thanks to all for your help and support.:) :) :)
Start enjoying it!! you deserve it..
PilotCrazy

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.