Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Pilot owner - first post.

Here goes - Purchase date 10/15/02 with 2000 miles - while on T-day vacation 600 miles away from home I noticed an oil leak on the driver side front of the motor. Car is taken to local Honda dealer in Kansas City who proceeds to tell me I have an engine block with "block porosity" causing the leak. Here is the kicker - the recommended fix from the TSB (01-009) is to crack my new engine open and use JB WELD to plug the holes in the engine block.

Dealer in KC couldn't do the fix before I had to return to Denver. So first thing yesterday I reached out to the dealer in Denver (Ralph Schomp) and let them know in no uncertian terms how unacceptable I think this fix is and that I want them to take me out of the car and get me a replacement ASAP.

This is where I am at with the process thus far:

1. As expected the Denver dealer wants to verify the problem - car goes in tomorrow.

2. Contacted Honda Customer Service in Torrance CA and went through the problem with service rep and requested that a "case worker" be assigned to my situation.

Other than a few conversations with the service manager and my sales rep outlining my frustration and expectations, thats it so far.

Anybody had a similar problem? I am out of line asking for a new vehicle? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hill

·
Registered
920 Posts
Where are you seeing the leak? Is it on floor, on the block itself, what??? Pls be more specific-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is leak

Both on the floor and on the engine block. Car has gone through a little more than a quart of oil in 2000 miles. The leak originates from the engine valley between the cylinders towards the transmission end.

Larry

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sister MDX Site

Believe you will find a lot of discussion of a very similar issue on our MDX sister site. I don't recall it being discussed as a widespread problem on our site.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Acehigh, please keep us informed as to how things turn out. Leaks of any kind scare the H___ out of me(my old car was a Ford).

Im going to put a clean carboard under mine for the next few days and see what happens.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your the customer and deserve satisfaction. After plunking down 30K plus for a Honda you shouldn't expect it to weep oil.
I wouldn't want a patch job inside my engine either.
Good luck.

·
Registered
991 Posts
You are definitely not out of line to ask for a new Pilot. BUT.. Once you sign the dotted line, there is no turning back... I doubt Honda will give you another Pilot, and I have never heard of any company giving a new vehicle because of a warranty claim..

but I am on your side, and Hope you get one, because it would #[email protected]#$$ me off just the same

rob

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Truly Sorry About The Oil Leak

I hope that your dealer and Honda will make everything right by giving you a new Pilot. This just is not right, especially considering how new your Pilot is. The engine came out of the factory like that. You did not cause this.

I was wondering if the TSB you mentioned specifies the VIN numbers of the Pilots which are affected by this problem or is this a ramdom or one of those, "hope your car's not involved in this one" tyep of TSB? Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Engine oil leak

My pilot has nearly 1.5K miles and I noticed an engine oil spot in my garage. I am very disapointed and will be getting it to the dealer service soon!!!
b

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ralph Schomp

I hope Ralph Schomp takes care of you. That is where we bought our Pilot. One of the reasons we went through them was their talk of great customer service.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I went today to the service center to check my Pilot oil leak. At first, the service guy though about a loose transmision hose, cause I explained him that the oil was under the tranny. He said he had a previus case were this hose was loose, they tighten it and solve problem. Finally, he came back saying that the hose was okay and that the oil was some kind of cover that the tranny has when it is manufactured that seems to be melted. They wash it and gave it back to me in about 40 minutes.

This is a very strange excuse, but I will be checking it daily to se if it continues. I keep posting.

·
Registered
373 Posts
sllmyjeac, It sounds strange but who knows.
Do yourself a favor and document everything pertaining to this issue and related service. A well documented case will give you the best leverage later on if needed.
Good luck and thanks for the update.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Talk To Lisa

Acehigh:

If you have any problems with your service person at Ralph Schomp - go directly to Jim Thurman. Thurmas is the Service Director at the dealership and he is one of the best guys I've ever worked with in a service department - period!

Schomp does all the work on my wife's '88 Accord, and they've been absolutely great! Schomp is also the dealership that will do all the work on my PILOT.

If you still don't get satisfaction - go straight to Lisa Schomp. I've heard several stories about how she handles customers with problem cars and she's always done the right thing - satisfy the customer. Lisa Schomp has a great reputation for customer service - so hopefully you will get a resolution to your problem that is satisfactory to you!

I also know that at least one of the service writers at Schomp is very aware of our little website (honda-pilot.org) so be sure to let them know that whatever the outcome - thousands of us will be watching and reading all about it!!!!!!

Good luck to you with your problem.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

1 - 13 of 13 Posts