Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, can anyone please tell me where this small leak is coming from? It is a 2005 with great maintenance history and 237k miles. Recent timing belt service. Thanks very much. Paul Auto part Fuel line Auto part Automotive lighting Auto part Metal

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
A little hard to see, but it could potentially one of these sources:

Search results for query: "oil filter housing"

Of course some knowledgeable members will come a long and give you more specific helpful advice, but I would be remiss if I didn't first suggest an easy solution that's worked for me.

1. I don't know of anywhere in the Owner's Manual Honda specifies when or even if you should change the PCV valve. But you should anyway. Think of it as cheap insurance against a much more costly leak repair, or the difference between a seal that's going bad but not so far gone that it can't be saved by some Stop ATP AT-205 and a PCV valve swap. Just tread lightly when you remove the old one:
    Small oil leak, rear main seal?
  2. Switch to Maxlife High Mileage Oil
  3. Did I mention Amazon.com: ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stops Leaks, 8 Ounce Bottle: Automotive
Watch the manufacturer's video:

Or take it from good old Mr. Kilmer. Gotta love Scotty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
A recent thread covering this: 2008 with Oil Leak

Plus copypasta from a post I made in there:

Easiest thing to do is to clean all those parts of the oil and gunk, wait a week, and then check to see where it is starting from. When I had to do this I went to a self car wash with a jack, jacked up the front end, and just blasted everything off. When I got home I wiped everything down and used BPC on anything that stuck around.

Once you check that, there are a couple common places that leak (someone please correct me my advice for an '05 is different than an '08):
  • Oil thermostat
  • Filter housing
  • The filter itself
  • Crankshaft seal
Start at the top and work your way down.

Also - if you haven't verified the "oil" isn't "grease" from a broken CV boot you should check that.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chris. I will do that. Also thought I should check Variable valve timing solenoid gasket if that is different from filter housing/adapter. Do you think PCV would contribute? I don’t think it has ever been changed.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
If the PCV is stuck in the wrong position pressure within the crankcase will build up. The pressure will relieve itself through the path of least resistance. I would definitely give that valve a check. Just be careful when you remove it as folks have ended breaking them off (there are threads on this forum of what to do should that happen).

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Just be careful when you remove it as folks have ended breaking them off (there are threads on this forum of what to do should that happen).

Yup, happened to me. Giving this thread a read might help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts