Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I’m new in here with my 09 pilot slight over 100k miles. This morning after a short run to the groceries. I saw some oil leaks on my driveway or say passenger side, first time, but it was like oil spilled out from somewhere. I checked the filter and oil pan, they all look good. But when I pop the hood and checked inside, I see lots of oil grease around the oil dipstick area, even covered the alternator.

Just curious, is it the spool valve issue that caused all these? Again, it’s first time, not constantly leaking over days.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
279 Posts
spool valve isn't up there. only the pcv valve, dipstick, and what looks like a pressure switch.
call up the parts dept and ask them if there are any other seals or gaskets on the front cylinder head next to the valve cover.
I have seen neglected engines leak oil from the pressure switch because it is one of the few places where high oil pressure can escape the block

·
Registered
79 Posts
This looks to me like the leaky spool valve, but that oil being all over it is confusing so I could be wrong. Here is a great thread that walks you through the issue and how to change it. Unfortunately for your alternator, it probably means its life is much shortened.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Do you have a check engine light? If not you may be able to replace just the gaskets.

You may opt just to replace the vtec solenoid assembly (without spool) if you have an engine code associated with this part.

Be careful not to loosen the 2 spool bolts (below dipstick and the one on the lower backside).
Verify fitment. This is an easy DIY.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Following

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Very easy fix. I would go with an oem gasket and clean the valve and mating surface off with brake cleaner. I bet the gasket is flat and hard.

You might also want to brake clean it first and see where it’s leaking from and then replace gaskets.

I didn’t know they moved this valve on the top of the motor for this generation. On my 06 it’s down on the lower left hand side by the crank pulley.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Very easy fix. I would go with an oem gasket and clean the valve and mating surface off with brake cleaner. I bet the gasket is flat and hard.

You might also want to brake clean it first and see where it’s leaking from and then replace gaskets.

I didn’t know they moved this valve on the top of the motor for this generation. On my 06 it’s down on the lower left hand side by the crank pulley.
Honda USA does not sell just the gaskets. They are available overseas from Honda. It would be unverifiable as to whether your gasket is truly OEM or not. The gaskets being sold on Amazon is a $9 fix. Nothing really to loose on an easy accessible repair.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
279 Posts
ok very neat to see that updated J35 engine moved to spool valve location, wonder why?
yeah easy fix. Honda had my spool valve gasket in stock for my 2007. No reason for them not to have yours. If not try calling an Acura dealer instead. No sense in using some unknown quality gasket just to save a couple bucks

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
ok very neat to see that updated J35 engine moved to spool valve location, wonder why?
yeah easy fix. Honda had my spool valve gasket in stock for my 2007. No reason for them not to have yours. If not try calling an Acura dealer instead. No sense in using some unknown quality gasket just to save a couple bucks
Honda wants to sell you the whole Vtec solenoid assembly with spool. No gasket can be bought at your local dealership.
#10 in the diagram. $163 + shipping. So the OP is saving more than a few bucks.

Reactions: Slvr7 and The Todd

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
OK I just watched a vid where to change out the spool valve, you have to pull the valve cover, pull the cams up to get it on the end and then bolt it back down, etc,? What a PITA!

·
Registered
279 Posts
OK I just watched a vid where to change out the spool valve, you have to pull the valve cover, pull the cams up to get it on the end and then bolt it back down, etc,? What a PITA!
well at least they (Honda) engineered a way to keep the service centers up and running !!

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Cam stays. You lift up/out the rocker arm assembly and the spool slips off the tubes.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Thanks NG. Still a lot of work to fix an oil leak?

For some reason I was thinking this was a DOHC engine. I realize now it is SOHC.
At the time I did this job (201k), I wasn't sure if the Honda Bond that the spool is sealed onto the head with had failed or not. I needed to do the valve cover gaskets anyway so I replaced the full vtec assembly w spool. I used Ultra Black Permatex instead of Honda Bond.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I needed to do the valve cover gaskets anyway so I replaced the full vtec assembly w spool. I used Ultra Black Permatex instead of Honda Bond.
yep that's probably what I would've done too! will be gathering parts for my '07 this winter to do the upper engine gaskets & seals next spring as I can see oil has started to seep out from the head cover edges & tube seals. good time to do the spark plugs getting really close to this engine hitting 200k still all original gaskets :p

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
yep that's probably what I would've done too! will be gathering parts for my '07 this winter to do the upper engine gaskets & seals next spring as I can see oil has started to seep out from the head cover edges & tube seals. good time to do the spark plugs getting really close to this engine hitting 200k still all original gaskets :p
Yep, it's time.
Inspect your rear valve cover closely. I had to replace because the tube openings had deteriorated.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
At the time I did this job (201k), I wasn't sure if the Honda Bond that the spool is sealed onto the head with had failed or not. I needed to do the valve cover gaskets anyway so I replaced the full vtec assembly w spool. I used Ultra Black Permatex instead of Honda Bond.
I think that was recently when I was on here?

Anyways, there is no gasket, just the sealer?
OK, looks like there is a gasket, then why sealer too?
IMHO, a 'gasket' shouldn't need sealer.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I think that was recently when I was on here?

Anyways, there is no gasket, just the sealer?
OK, looks like there is a gasket, then why sealer too?
IMHO, a 'gasket' shouldn't need sealer.
Under the spool, there is only gasket maker (sealant) between the spool and engine head. The rubber gaskets are above the spool.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts