Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local mechanic is unable to find the oil leak on our 04 Pilot with 181K on it. Everyday multiple drips. He states it not the valve covers, the main seal, oil pan, the oil filter gasket, the cam caps etc. I have also been all over it and can see when it drips but it's a gravity and buildup situation. His advice was to add oil as needed and not put more $ into it. I have not done a dye test as I'd have to do some major cleaning in the engine bay first.

This is a Northern Ohio vehicle we've owned since brand new, so the winters salt and rust have taken their toll, leading to a nasty looking engine bay.
I'm thinking about the stop leak additives, such as Lucas Stop Leak. Has anyone used any of them in a Pilot?
Given the dents and rust etc the vehicle is not worth much as a trade or for private sale, yet we still want to hang onto it for a little longer. Hoping for a redesigned 2022 with a real
center armrest.
Everything else works fine. All maintenance always done.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
For a highly touted stop leak additive of choice one of the reps should be checking in shortly. As for the “mechanic”....not sure he/she knows the usual Honda drip 💧suspects.
When you get a chance post a pic of one of the rust spots under the Pilot that is known to cause issues moving forward. The area of concern is where the rear subframe bolts to the unibody sub structure.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Probably the vtec selenoid gasket down on the lower left hand corner of the engine. It will drip from the oil pan from here. If that’s not it, possibly the oil pump cover behind the timing belt but I would start with the vtec selenoid gasket. Fel pro makes a kit to fix it. Look up in the passenger side wheel well with the wheel off and it will be running from that side of the engine down low.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
66 Posts
Probably your oil pump seals if its by the crankshaft pulley area.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
I'm thinking about the stop leak additives, such as Lucas Stop Leak. Has anyone used any of them in a Pilot?
For a highly touted stop leak additive of choice one of the reps should be checking in shortly.

A forum search of my user name and AT-205 turns up the following 50 results so far. That should be enough for a sizable year-end bonus. :)

Search results for query: at-205

OP, for 8 bucks, put an end to your misery.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
Try an oil change with one of the high-mileage type motor oils.
Mobil 1 High Mileage Oil has very good additive package for old seal rejuvenation.
I would run it through one cycle then switch back to regular non-HM

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
So long as the oil leak is minor and is not under the timing covers, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I'd do an oil pan, oil pump (oil hole gasket) reseal on my next scheduled timing belt job. Just make sure the timing belt is not getting oil on it. This can lead to failure.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
Let's approach this another way. You can add a UV sensitive dye to the oil. Available at auto parts stores etc. then using a uv light after driving around should point to the problem area.

one more tip. a blocked Pcv valve will pressurize the engine and cause loss of oil. Has that been looked at? Only ask since I've been there found that the hard way

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
How much oil? Like, a quart every fill up?
Or you just don't like seeing the drops on the floor?
If it's not much, not getting in the alternator of timing belt. Fffooorrrggggeeeettttaaabbbbooouuutttt it! If it's a very small amount, not wortrh fixing IMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts on this. I've been using Royal Purple in it for at least 10 years and will switch to Mobil 1 High Mileage during the next change. Engine runs smooth for a 17 year old Honda. At this point, given all the salt and rust I really don't want to put much more $ into it. We also only use it for big shopping trips and really bad snow days , as the other cars have snow tires. Just repaired a power steering hose, did the transmission fluid and rear diff for 475.00. Given all this and to quote PipiPipi above I'm going to try to put an end to my misery with at-205. We'll see what happens. I have two medium cement mixing trays under it right now, so it will be easy to see before and after.. I will post pics soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
If your seals and gaskets are not too far gone, it typically takes about 5 hours of running time to start to see results. Keep us posted, and hope it works. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before adding at-205. after vehicle sat for 24 hours in the garage. Drivers side has the majority of the leaking oil.
Automotive lighting Bumper Hood Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Vehicle door Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well - sorry to say but AT-205 made it worse. More oil leaks out now once it's parked after running. Both sides of the engine. I have learned that it does not leak when parked for several days. Taking it in for a second opinion tomorrow - So I need an opinion - If you had a bit Rusty 17 Year old Pilot in salty winters North East Ohio with 182K on it. How much would you spend to fix it? Thanks all.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I'd replace the cam thrust cover gaskets. That's drivers side.
Have the valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals been replaced?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well - sorry to say but AT-205 made it worse. More oil leaks out now once it's parked after running. Both sides of the engine. I have learned that it does not leak when parked for several days. Taking it in for a second opinion tomorrow - So I need an opinion - If you had a bit Rusty 17 Year old Pilot in salty winters North East Ohio with 182K on it. How much would you spend to fix it? Thanks all.
as others have pointed out, before you sink $ into it, how bad is the unibody rust at the rear subframe mount locations?

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
How many hours did you drive it after adding the AT-205? Did you add the whole bottle? It usually takes about 5 hours of driving time to see results.

But if it doesn't solve your leak after that, at least you tried and it didn't cost you much. It may be something more major as suggested above, like the valve cover gaskets, grommets, spark plug tube seals and/or cam thrust cover gaskets.You'd have to get a quote and then decide if it's worth it, considering the condition of the vehicle, and particularly the degree of rust your rear subframe mount has. Post quote and pic if you'd like suggestions on how to proceed.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
How much can you afford to spend on a new(er)/replacement vehicle?

How much time before the timing belt has to be changed (again)?
Or, how long will it take you to put on another 28K miles?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts