Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had fixed the problem by replacing the VTECl valve gaskets, but that doesn't appear to be it. Can anyone tell me what is in this same area, essentially right beneath the VTEC (spool) valve assembly would leak oil? If you are looking at the engine it is right side, on the back, midway down to underneath. Impossible to see anything there. Only leaks when the car is running so very hard to diagnose (to me it is). I notice it as a few drops every day on the garage floor.

If you wanted to see in there....any recommendations? scope camera of some kind? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
I thought I had fixed the problem by replacing the VTECl valve gaskets, but that doesn't appear to be it. Can anyone tell me what is in this same area, essentially right beneath the VTEC (spool) valve assembly would leak oil? If you are looking at the engine it is right side, on the back, midway down to underneath. Impossible to see anything there. Only leaks when the car is running so very hard to diagnose (to me it is). I notice it as a few drops every day on the garage floor.

If you wanted to see in there....any recommendations? scope camera of some kind? Thanks!
You have the gasket under the solinoids, then another set of bolts on the next level holding on the spool. You got both levels of gaskets?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got both sets. Learned the hard way. Pulled the unit. Replaced gasket. Put it back. What's this extra gasket? OH. "Hey Dumbass" I say to myself "you have to take the unit apart and put it on the inside." So I am pretty good at taking that off and putting it back on now.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Well from there you have valve cover gaskets and camshaft seals above and oil pan gasket and front main seal below.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you can't borrow a decent scope camera & your phone won't fit down there you could try a cheap scope cam that connects to your phone via USB. Quality varies quite a bit though.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
2007 EXL with 165k. I thought I had fixed the problem by replacing the VTECl valve gaskets, but that doesn't appear to be it. Can anyone tell me what is in this same area, essentially right beneath the VTEC (spool) valve assembly would leak oil? If you are looking at the engine it is right side, on the back, midway down to underneath. Impossible to see anything there. Only leaks when the car is running so very hard to diagnose (to me it is). I notice it as a few drops every day on the garage floor.

Above, would be valve cover gasket or camshaft seals.
Below, would be oil pan gasket or front main seal.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,258 Posts
I would feel remiss if I didn't jump in with my snake oil AT-205 spiel. Pour a bottle in with the oil and drive a good 5 hours over the course of the next few days. If it doesn't work, you've lost the cost of a couple of artisanal lattes, and if it does all you owe me is a beer someday.

More Information for ATP AT205

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely going to try this as well. I have an old pathfinder with a leaky main seal.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Worked for me on a slightly leaky oil filter housing gasket. Oil level now stays right on the notch between changes and all remains dry down there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well crap. Put some of the AT205 in today and let the engine idle 10 min. Drove about 2 miles and car started to shudder at a light then the dash lite up with all lights. Pulled into gas station and checked the oil....there wasnt any. Where did the oil go? Looks like gasket on underside may have failed. I had it towed to mechanic. Is this a coincidence that it failed same day i added the AT205?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I think you may have had a much more serious underlying problem. Hopefully, you have a good mechanic that can help you get to the bottom of this. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mechanic says spool valve failed and leaked 3 qts of oil in 2 miles driven which caused the car to shudder and engine warning lights to come on. Says he has never had good luck with gasket kits. Now I am paying to have the OEM part put in. Shit.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I agree that for that sort of thing you're better off going OEM rather than rolling the dice with aftermarket. What aftermarket did you get so others can know to steer clear?

Hope this time takes care of it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was a gasket kit off of Amazon. It seemed perfectly fine and the gaskets seemed to fit well. Numerous people said they had good luck with it. Its unfortunate because the kits is $20 or so and the part is $400 and up depending on where you find it. At this point I wish i had just bought the part though.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Sadly, it seems there are more and more cases of inferior or outright bogus parts on Amazon.

If you don't wish to be taken to the cleaners by some dealers, try Rockauto or Majestic, College Hills, Hondapartsnow.com and the ilk who sell OEM below list price.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Just kidding. Picked up the car today with my shiny new part and it crapped the bed when we got in the neighborhood. Having it towed back to mechanic now.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Woah, really? :eek: It's starting to sound like your Pilot is possessed. Hope they get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the screen in that VTEC gasket is getting clogged with sludge. I change my oil and filter regularly and have never had a problem until I added the AT205. They are trying an oil and filter change to get it out. Hopfulley it hasn't ruined my engine.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
So the screen in that VTEC gasket is getting clogged with sludge. I change my oil and filter regularly and have never had a problem until I added the AT205. They are trying an oil and filter change to get it out. Hopfulley it hasn't ruined my engine.
I hope not. Please keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts