Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 Touring AWD, purchased with 90k miles. I was changing my spark plugs today (107k miles) and when i pulled my rear boots and plugs they were all covered in oil.

My initial googling points toward spark plug tube seals gone bad. I just replaced the EGR and PCV valve last weekend. I've had Honda do the last couple oil changes so I can't comment on oil consumption right now. I will be watching the oil level and am going to pull the boots and plugs tomorrow after the car is driven a bit and see what's in there. I've never noticed smoke and there has been no check engine light. There are no oil leaks under the car either.

Is there anything else I can check or look into? If I do have to replace the tube seals what else can I do while I have it apart? I'm going to use the dealer to do the water pump/ timing belt service, will it be much more for them to do tube seals / valve cover gasket and valve adjustment? or is that already included?

Thanks!

J

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
2012 Touring AWD, purchased with 90k miles. I was changing my spark plugs today (107k miles) and when i pulled my rear boots and plugs they were all covered in oil.

My initial googling points toward spark plug tube seals gone bad. I just replaced the EGR and PCV valve last weekend. I've had Honda do the last couple oil changes so I can't comment on oil consumption right now. I will be watching the oil level and am going to pull the boots and plugs tomorrow after the car is driven a bit and see what's in there. I've never noticed smoke and there has been no check engine light. There are no oil leaks under the car either.

Is there anything else I can check or look into? If I do have to replace the tube seals what else can I do while I have it apart? I'm going to use the dealer to do the water pump/ timing belt service, will it be much more for them to do tube seals / valve cover gasket and valve adjustment? or is that already included?

Thanks!

J
I’m not a mechanic, but isn’t the most likely cause bad cylinder rings?

Caused by a poorly designed and implemented VCM system?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The VCM/cylinder ring issue would leak oil past the rings into the cylinder and deposit oil inside the cylinder. If I understand the OP, he is experiencing oil on the outside of the cylinder in the hole the spark plug drops into.

Either condition I would explore the support through Honda first. Even if they will pick up a portion of the bill it may be well worth it.

I'm not well versed enough in Pilots yet to comment on oil outside the cylinder, but I'm sure someone will chime in. Without leaks to the ground I would think it is slow and minimal, although definitely not desired!

You're not going to be able to test the condition of the plugs once they get pulled through all the oil. I might also consider turning the engine over a couple time without plugs installed to evacuate whatever oil is in the cylinder in case you have enough to cause compression lock.

However, since you are not complaining of any power or engine issues, I would imagine the internal mechanicals are doing a decent job.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Spark plug tube seals are starting to dry up and let oil by. Buying a valve cover gasket set will give you new tube seals along with cover gaskets. ~$30 for a gasket set.

Dealer won't include this in a timing belt job. You can ask ahead of time how much extra it will be and decide if you want to tackle it yourself. My guess is they'd add another $300 to replace the gaskets and adjust valve clearance.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Spark plug tube seals are starting to dry up and let oil by. Buying a valve cover gasket set will give you new tube seals along with cover gaskets. ~$30 for a gasket set..
Agree, the tube seals are shot. The plug threads got oil on them as you pulled them through the tube.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'll check with Honda when I ask about timing belt service on what it would cost, but I but it's more than it should be :) I watched a couple vids on replacing them and it doesn't look too bad.

A real quick search turned this up on ebay: New Valve Cover Gaskets Set for Honda Accord Odyssey Acura TL Pilot MDX RL TSX | eBay

What are the smaller seals for? The bigger ones are the tube seals I've seen on videos, not sure on the small ones.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Thanks guys! I'll check with Honda when I ask about timing belt service on what it would cost, but I but it's more than it should be :) I watched a couple vids on replacing them and it doesn't look too bad.

A real quick search turned this up on ebay: New Valve Cover Gaskets Set for Honda Accord Odyssey Acura TL Pilot MDX RL TSX | eBay

What are the smaller seals for? The bigger ones are the tube seals I've seen on videos, not sure on the small ones.

Thanks!
If I remember right from doing the valve adjustment on my Accord, the smaller ones go between the bolts and the valve cover I think...

Either way, I used a torque wrench with in-lbs and had one of the bolts strip on me during re-installation... Be extra careful with these aluminum threaded holes on the heads and block, apparently proper torque can be too much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Because of your mileage, if you weren't planning on it, I would suggest inspecting/adjusting your valve clearance while you are replacing the tube seals. Not terribly difficult, but you probably don't want to have to go back in to do it later.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I remember right from doing the valve adjustment on my Accord, the smaller ones go between the bolts and the valve cover I think
Yep, I think you're right. After watching a bunch more vids, that's what they are. When I went to inspect the holes again the end of the coil pack that goes over the spark plug pulled off... also the seal on the top came loose and doesn't want to stay on the coil pack. Guess I'm ordering a coil pack as well. any problems with using a single new coil pack, I'd rather not have to order all 6 if I don't have to.

Thanks.

J

1 - 12 of 12 Posts