Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stick with a honda one? does it matter ( other than fram ). ive always used wix in my american cars. new to imports, which one is good? preferred synthetic oil? i really want 250k+ out of my pilot!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Prepare for many personal opinions. Best to do your own research and pick your price VS performance balance point. If you've never heard of it, check out Bob Is The Oil Guy forums for more in depth discussion on all things oils and filters.

Opinions are varied on what oils are best for direct injection engines. Does low NOACK matter? Some say yes, some say no. Intake deposits don't seem to be as bad on the Honda V6 as with some other manufacturers. Many good filters out there, including the Honda filter.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prepare for many personal opinions. Best to do your own research and pick your price VS performance balance point. If you've never heard of it, check out Bob Is The Oil Guy forums for more in depth discussion on all things oils and filters.

Opinions are varied on what oils are best for direct injection engines. Does low NOACK matter? Some say yes, some say no. Intake deposits don't seem to be as bad on the Honda V6 as with some other manufacturers. Many good filters out there, including the Honda filter.
im sure there are many opinions, just didnt know if one specific flavor combo seemed to work best for honda engines. thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
im sure there are many opinions, just didnt know if one specific flavor combo seemed to work best for honda engines. thanks!
I gotcha. There is no general consensus on one best oil or filter, other than a decent synthetic 0w-20 and a decent filter. Now, get on the topic of ATF for the 6 speed and you'll have a discussion on your hands.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I like the Fram Ultra Synthetic (not the other Frams). Pretty consistently reviewed well and sold at Walmart so easy to get.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
stick with a honda one? does it matter ( other than fram ). ive always used wix in my american cars. new to imports, which one is good? preferred synthetic oil? i really want 250k+ out of my pilot!
You must be new here.
Our resident fanatic expert on the subject of maintenance products (@Nail Grease) will be along shortly to enlighten you.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Wonder who makes the Honda filter?🤷‍♂️......bet it ain’t Honda.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You must be new here.
Our resident fanatic expert on the subject of maintenance products (@Nail Grease) will be along shortly to enlighten you.
yeah, im new here, and new to honda and my pilot. cant remember the last import i owned!

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, i searched. many threads on this topic. admin, will you please delete this thread?
sorry if this thread will cause a shit storm!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
My usual brand is Purolator but depending on what’s on sale I could be swayed to NAPA, WIX, Mobil-1. Stick with upper tier and routine OCI

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
yeah, im new here, and new to honda and my pilot. cant remember the last import i owned!
A Wix filter should be fine, along with a major brand of full-synthetic 0W-20 oil.

Also important is to become familiar with operation of the Maintenance Minder.
It determines when an oil change is needed and tells you what other maintenance is needed at the same time.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I support K&N oil filters!!! Reason because on certain cars, it’s easily the easiest to remove because of the durable one-inch nut that is welded to the top of the canister for easy removal using a standard wrench or socket and it is also pre-drilled for safety wire attachment in racing or extreme conditions.

I DETEST Fram Ultra!!!! I’ve had the most difficult of times trying to remove their filters! I’ve even had to stab it with a screwdriver and used it to twist off the filter for removal, such a messy process.

I’ve never over tighten my oil filters. Frams always slip for me, I can’t ever get a good grip on them.

I will never again use Fram oil filters.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
Here’s a little secret....

it doesn’t matter too much what oil or filter you use as long as you fill it to the correct level and change it regularly.

Literally any 0W-20 synthetic oil will do fine.
Be sure to check and see if your dealer offers any oil change specials

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Currently using Wix 51334 XP. The filter is made with synthetic fibers and is 16% larger than the recommended Wix 57356. All other specs are the same.

For engine oil, I'm using full synthetic Shell Rotella Gas Truck Oil 0w20. It performed better than Mobil 1 for protection against thermal breakdown. Full synthetic Pennzoil Ultra Platinum would be another great choice.

Reactions: ConrodM and 311042

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
More filter talk...

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Using a larger filter, it would be even more important to prefill before installing.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
Using a larger filter, it would be even more important to prefill before installing.
What’s wrong with the current filter size? This is the first time I’ve heard you say this so I’m genuinely curious.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to stick with any "premium" level oil filter. I personally use M1 because I can get it for every vehicle I service and can get the filter and the M1 oil at Wal Mart for a good price. I have heard in the last year M1 filters are being made by a different supplier and have cheapened slightly but so far I've stuck with them.

One of the guys who is extremely into this stuff on the Traverse forum swears by Baldwin filters.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
OK, and like on the other thread(s), I use Wal mart Branded Super Tech oil filters- change every DIY oil change.
Was made by Wix, now made by Champion. Best bang for the buck. No start up noises, no problems.

Reactions: briantii
1 - 20 of 178 Posts