Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought the magnetic tray that goes under the filter and directs the oil to the side. no excess drips later. I've also done the gallon ziploc freezer bag over filter before unscrewing. Catches all the oil also.

I have some paper towels ready to lay on the area between removal and installation of new if needed.
I always use a gallon zip lock bag and put it over the filter when removing. No mess at all.

·
Registered
441 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got to admit that I cut a small portion of my plastic panel to make it easier to get the filter off. I didn't take a picture of it, but I'm pretty sure no one would ever realize it didn't come that way from the factory... This looks like they butchered it with a dull butter knife.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
I wouldn't dare butcher this plastic protector like this and defy the engineers. This was made this way for a reason. 😏

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
IMHO, it's NOT that big a deal.
Some water, etc. get in there whether it's cut of not.

On my Pilots, Gen 1 and Gen 2- first of all, I DIY this job.

2nd of all, I have folded back the plastic guard to get my hand in there. I didn't cut it away though. For a shop to do it is really kinda Back ass wards for sure.

Reactions: zmarke01 and Yoda

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I wouldn't dare butcher this plastic protector like this and defy the engineers. This was made this way for a reason. 😏
Can you just Imagine how unstable this would make the front end aerodynamics at speeds over 150mph? Oh wait, wrong forum

·
Registered
846 Posts
Did the brake maintenance on my Pilot (cleaned and lubed slide pins, shims, hardware, etc). While I had the wheels off the front I couldn't believe the space that is "unprotected" on the DRIVER'S side with the huge gap in that wheel liner.

Must have been a different group of engineers that designed the driver's side compared to the passenger side after looking at the open space from the factory on the driver's side. LOL 🙈

Although I don't believe the dealer should have cut the passenger side liner as talked about in this post without the owner's knowledge or permission, I don't see it causing any problem what so ever after seeing the driver's side.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Did the brake maintenance on my Pilot (cleaned and lubed slide pins, shims, hardware, etc). While I had the wheels off the front I couldn't believe the space that is "unprotected" on the DRIVER'S side with the huge gap in that wheel liner.

Must have been a different group of engineers that designed the driver's side compared to the passenger side after looking at the open space from the factory on the driver's side. LOL 🙈

Although I don't believe the dealer should have cut the passenger side liner as talked about in this post without the owner's knowledge or permission, I don't see it causing any problem what so ever after seeing the driver's side.
Until you fling a sharp rock just perfectly, puncturing a hole in the oil filter. 1,000,000,000 to 1 chance. 🤓
If I chose to vandalize my own vehicle, that's my business. It's not ok for an employee at a dealership to do this.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am surprising picky about these type of things but honestly, now that I know about this "trick," I am quite tempted to cut the plastic on my car. I DIY all maintenance and even though I only change oil every 10k miles, I hate that stupid plastic splash shield.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
I am surprising picky about these type of things but honestly, now that I know about this "trick," I am quite tempted to cut the plastic on my car. I DIY all maintenance and even though I only change oil every 10k miles, I hate that stupid plastic splash shield.
I wouldn't go crazy on it. It's there to keep the serpentine belt dry and mud free as possible.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Over the years of DIY oil changes the plastic shield has developed a crease that allows an easy out-of-the-way bend which recovers by the next OCI. The plastic shield is probably designed to deflect road debris from contacting rotating parts as opposed to the drivers-side.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I wouldn't go crazy on it. It's there to keep the serpentine belt dry and mud free as possible.
You probably want a longer plastic shield to keep that XTRA large Wix filter spotless. By the way whats the part # for the XTRA large WIX 2004 LOL?

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
You probably want a longer plastic shield to keep that XTRA large Wix filter spotless. By the way whats the part # for the XTRA large WIX 2004 LOL?
The XXL size is Wix 51344 😁. Not available in XP, (Made in Mexico).
The XL size is 51334. (51334XP is made in the USA).

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just wanted to post some pictures of the driver's side and the large opening there from the factory. The boots for the tie rod? and the front axle are completely exposed. The concern of the oil filter on the other side getting hit by something is very minimal compared to the items on this side IMHO.

Not agreeing with any dealer who opened up the passenger side to gain better access to the filter, but I don't believe it will create any problems, real or perceived.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts