Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is normal for the dealer to cut this cover to get to the filter instead of going the extra step of taking the two clips off? Should I say something ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Is normal for the dealer to cut this cover to get to the filter instead of going the extra step of taking the two clips off? Should I say something ?

They shouldn't cut anything.
Got a photo of this atrocity?

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
🤦‍♂️ Butchered!
I would say something. It's always their word against yours though. Will likely say that it was already damaged.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
246 Posts
Did you buy this vehicle new or used? Curious if there was a previous owner that could have done that. I'd be shocked if a dealership did that.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just checked both my Odyssey and Pilot and both have those panels removed. I didn't even know there was supposed to be a panel there! (No jagged cut that I can see, but the filter is easily accessible by hand, just like in the OP's picture.)

I am 100% certain it was the dealer, as my Odyssey I bought new and they are the only ones other than me that have serviced it. Pilot I bought used and it was dealer serviced by PO.

That access has made oil filter changes significantly less messy!

·
Registered
840 Posts
FWIW, this plastic trimming is somewhat common for the oil/filter change DIYer's over at the Ridgeline Forum.......makes filter removal so much easier/cleaner.;) I did it, glad I did.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I will chime in here and say it's good practice to get a picture of the underside of your car in case some shop messes it up down the line. My father's 2017 F150 4x4 had a bunch of brush guards on his. Took it into a place to have an oil change and something else done. We went under the truck at some point a few weeks afterwards (I forgot why) and all of the brush guards were gone. He went back to the auto shop and they just shrugged. As someone else said "his word vs theirs".

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
246 Posts
I got the car new. All services done at dealer and this was the second oil change. 11k miles on it.

I would definitely bring it up and have them replace it. That looks horrible.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EXL Navi.
13 Posts
Thanks for posting about this. I just looked under mine. 2018 EXL. Same chunk of plastic crudely cut away to get at the filter! Now open to water and dirt splashing in. I’m not happy. And will call our dealer tomorrow. We have had it since brand new. Taken to the same dealer for services. Why would Honda design something and allow their techs to change it just like that?!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks for posting about this. I just looked under mine. 2018 EXL. Same chunk of plastic crudely cut away to get at the filter! Now open to water and dirt splashing in. I’m not happy. And will call our dealer tomorrow. We have had it since brand new. Taken to the same dealer for services. Why would Honda design something and allow their techs to change it just like that?!
.........because the suits and ties that design them don’t work on them like the techs have to do.😉

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I recently move to a new state and new dealer and now they are pointing at the other dealer. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
386 Posts
When I remove the filter, some oil drips onto the tray then travels down the tray and drips onto the driveway from another location. If that cut out prevents the oil from dripping onto the tray, then it's probably a good idea.

I'm guessing many would bring their vehicle back several days later saying its leaking oil when in reality it's just oil that was sitting on the tray and worked it's way down.

·
Registered
257 Posts
99% of owners never look under there, particularly if they're the type to pay the dealer to perform an oil change. I'm sure you're 1 of 1 for complaining about it.

By the way, I wouldn't be thrilled to see that, either. They're damaging your vehicle for convenience, which is unnecessary and lazy.

·
Registered
840 Posts
When I remove the filter, some oil drips onto the tray then travels down the tray and drips onto the driveway from another location. If that cut out prevents the oil from dripping onto the tray, then it's probably a good idea.

I'm guessing many would bring their vehicle back several days later saying its leaking oil when in reality it's just oil that was sitting on the tray and worked it's way down.
Leave it up to suites and ties to design/place an oil filter directly over subframe/suspension components. Drip, drip for days is spot on.......a service writer's nightmare. Not many DIYer's in this thread.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
517 Posts
I bought the magnetic tray that goes under the filter and directs the oil to the side. no excess drips later. I've also done the gallon ziploc freezer bag over filter before unscrewing. Catches all the oil also.

I have some paper towels ready to lay on the area between removal and installation of new if needed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts