Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Oil filter for 2012

5K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  xGS 
#1 ·
Went to get a filter and the new filter is small. About 1 inch shorter than the Honda filter . (Oil change last performed by dealership from previous owner). Anyone else run into this? What does everyone use for thei 2012 vintage vehicle thanks

#8 ·
I second the Mobil1 oil filter... it does a nice job for me and is available at my local Wal Mart where I get the Mobil 1 oil.

Reactions: Nail Grease
#9 ·
M1 has been in my vehicles since day one no thoughts on changing it now to a different brand.Now I found a new need for it ..it works great in lubricating the wheel bearings on 3d printers .. so those who are in a pinch while printing out those covid 19 materials . Mobile 1 works awesome and it lasts a real long time.

#11 ·
Search for fitments for the Honda S2000 cars. They use the longer filter, with the same mounting threads and gasket dims. The local WalMart stopped carrying the Bosch D3312 I like, and I see they are disappearing from the market. When I use up my remaining supply, the M1 might be the next choice. Oil (M1) gets changed here at 50% life or annually, whether it needs it or not.

One of the German garage-mates uses a full-size Mahle filter that would fit perfectly if it weren't for that skid bar in the way. Mounting the same, pressure relief really close, but a couple inches too long. Would have cut my spare filters inventory by maybe 20%?. Oh well.

#12 ·
I don't stock almost anything anymore for this very reason. The '14 Traverse, '15 Pilot, '08 Sonata, '61 Impala and new to the fleet '01 325Ci all take different oil and filters and transmission fluid and EVERYTHING. So I buy when I need the parts.

Oh yea, forgot to mention I also care for a '69 Camaro (same filter but much nicer oil for the high performance engine over the Impala), '15 Wrangler, '18 GLC300, '10 Yukon XL Denali and now a '20 Sierra. Those are just my parents' cars. Then my MIL has a '14 Sonata, my BIL and his fiancee have a '16 Veloster and a '17 Outlander Sport.

I'd need an extra garage just for consumables if I were to stock parts for any of them!

#14 ·
Yea I'll pass... if these effectively do the job (which they do) why would I need such overkill?

#20 ·
I was buying the Bosch "distance" filters on a recommendation from the group here when I got the car. They were shelf stock at the local Walmart so no need to use my own real estate. They stopped carrying the Bosch filters a year or two or three ago, so I had some delivered on a brown truck. I have one left. Did swing by Walmart this morning for the oil, and see that they do carry the M1 filters so will likely change to those with next oil swap.

Opinions on best oil, best filter and best change interval are all over the map. For the average owner or lessee, whatever the quick-change or dealer uses is great. They won't own the car long enough to ever see a payback from a synthetic oil upgrade, and any filter that doesn't leak will get them to trade-in time. I maintain mine as part of the min 250k service life plan.

I'm intrigued by the Camaro gets better oil than the Impala. Spin-on adapter on the older car so it can use the same filter I'll guess. The 'older cars don't need the good oil' contrasts with 'older cars get older really fast when you slack off on maintenance' experience. They tend to get driven less frequently too, so have drier dry starts that better oils can help with. The Pilot came home from the dealer, onto the lift for an oil change. Another a couple hundred miles later and at least another before it hit 1k. Under $100 for all that cheap front-loaded insurance. I think it was at about 45k on its seventh birthday last October.

The Pilot hasn't needed even gas since January or so, and averaging maybe 5k/yr since we left the L.A. area. It's still above half a tank when I drove it this morning. Got a full spring-cleaning (they were dirty!) and detail, looking good before getting the cover in a week or two as a summer toy comes out of hibernation. Full service before it gets the shelf of course.

#21 ·
I was buying the Bosch "distance" filters on a recommendation from the group here when I got the car. They were shelf stock at the local Walmart so no need to use my own real estate. They stopped carrying the Bosch filters a year or two or three ago, so I had some delivered on a brown truck. I have one left. Did swing by Walmart this morning for the oil, and see that they do carry the M1 filters so will likely change to those with next oil swap.

Opinions on best oil, best filter and best change interval are all over the map. For the average owner or lessee, whatever the quick-change or dealer uses is great. They won't own the car long enough to ever see a payback from a synthetic oil upgrade, and any filter that doesn't leak will get them to trade-in time. I maintain mine as part of the min 250k service life plan.
I'm putting this Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil (about $28 at WM) in just about everything I own along with the M1-110A filter. It says 15k, im going 8-10k. All my 0w20 vehicles are now getting 5w30. The heat is here. I'm shooting for 300k. I doubt the 2017 EX-L Pilot will make that.

#24 ·
Amen on the zinc requirements for the vintage engines. IIRC the 15W-50 M1 I use in a couple of the other cars has 1100+ ZDDP, hopefully enough for the flat-tappet cams to survive. So far so good. Next option is one of the "racing" oils, with more zinc but short on other additives needed for longer-term metal protection. Everything is a compromise.

#25 ·
It truly is with these cars, and we are all taking our best guess and hoping for long engine lives.

I settled on using the zinc additive based on my research on chevy small blocks on BITOG and multiple classic chevy specific forums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.