Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an easy way to change oil after skid plate is installed on my 2019 Pilot. I know about Fumoto, EZoil and Valvomax and it's not what I am asking about.

I recently read that oil extractions are becoming a common maintenance option and some companies use it at their dealerships.

Is it possible to drain most of the oil in my '19 Pilot with an oil extractor via oil dipstick? Has anyone done it? Does it empty enough oil to be able to change oil filter without a huge mess?

If you have done this on your Pilot, what would you recommend or not recommend?

Thank you

·
Registered
515 Posts
I use a Mityvac on my Pilot and Ridgeline. Works so well, I removed my Fumoto valves and went back to factory plug that I do not need to remove anymore. Does not effect the oil filter change, still lots of oil there, but slide a quart size or gallon size freezer bag onto the oil filter will catch most of the residual oil as you spin the filter off.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Yes it's possible. But since the Honda dipstick tube is small, it won't exactly be a fast process. I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
133 Posts
For years now, Ive used the Topsider for lots of stuff, including oils changes on a Gen 1 Pilot and, recently, oil changes on a Gen 5 CRV. I also use it for lawn mowers, outboards, and a generator. I just saw a sale on the West Marine version, which I just picked up and havent tried yet, but a friend loves his. The Topsider is getting too finicky for me. The REAL win for an extractor are tranny fluid changes on my Gen 1 Pilot. Its all from the top. No getting underneath and screwing around with a crush washer, possibly stripping the plug, etc. The key to extractors in to run the vehicle for 2 to 3 minutes before you use it. Loosens up the oil and it flows so much better. You certainly can pull out cold fluid but it really takes a long time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yes it's possible. But since the Honda dipstick tube is small, it won't exactly be a fast process. I wouldn't do it.
You would think, but it's no slower than waiting for the plug to stop dripping.

A MityVac is an awesome tool. You pump it up once and move on to the filter. It's easier, cleaner, and disposal is a breeze. I agree with @MtMan - I won't go back to draining from the bottom on any of the vehicles.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I have an extractor and only use it when needed. I prefer the Fumoto drain plug personally, I like the idea that any suspended solids sitting on the bottom are drained out rather than stuck on the bottom. In all likelihood there is nothing of substance sitting there but the oil changes are so easy with the valve that I have no reason not to do it that way.

Reactions: kslu_wa

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
I've used a pump on a variety of vehicles. Primarily sealed ATF systems. It's the only way to replace the ATF without dropping the pan. I have Nissan NVs that require removing 7 bolts to drop a plastic cover to get to the oil filter. Call me old fashion. I'd prefer to drain my oil into a pan if I can.
I'm curious that after the oil is pumped out, would more drain out if you opened the plug?

Reactions: kslu_wa

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used a pump on a variety of vehicles. Primarily sealed ATF systems. It's the only way to replace the ATF without dropping the pan. I have Nissan NVs that require removing 7 bolts to drop a plastic cover to get to the oil filter. Call me old fashion. I'd prefer to drain my oil into a pan if I can.
I'm curious that after the oil is pumped out, would more drain out if you opened the plug?
That's basically what I am trying to establish here. If I put in 6 quarts of oil, do I get most of the 6 quarts back (less whatever is left in the oils filter)?

I think Honda dealerships don't replace filter at every oil change. So clearly not removing all the oils is not that big of a deal.

Maybe do an oil drain for every 3-5 extractions? Supposedly the filter gets all the junk anyway.

I just have a feeling that changing oil without removing the skid plate will be a real headache and a major cleanup.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your responses. I also found a review by fellow Piloteers here, I figured I would add the link for others who are interested.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
My first time changing the oil on my Pilot with the extractor, I did just that. Pulled out all I could though the dipstick tube, then pulled the drain plug. Not a single drop came out.
Wow. That I like!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
My first time changing the oil on my Pilot with the extractor, I did just that. Pulled out all I could though the dipstick tube, then pulled the drain plug. Not a single drop came out.
Yea I’ve heard at most maybe an ounce or two comes out, not much is left behind.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Yea I’ve heard at most maybe an ounce or two comes out, not much is left behind.
He said zero, now you say an ounce or 2, lol. Zero was better.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 16 does NOT have a Skid plate and Im glad. I service vehicles for a living and most new cars have that crap under them covering everything. I call that crap. "Pampers" or "diapers". At least my vehicles are all "grown up" and dont "wear" that crap. That is the first thing I look for when i buy a vehicle.. It must have a Spin on oil filter and the drain plug and both not covered by stupid panels and shields.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
639 Posts
I have the HF version MityVac. Used it for many tranny fluid and power steering fluid changes. Only did oil in outdoor power equipment with it. I might need to try it on the Pilot next change. I tried one change through the access drain opening in the Jsport skid plate. That was definitely a messy experience. I found it faster to remove the plate then to clean up the mess on it and everywhere else that it dripped to. I was going to try the Fumoto for next change but might just try the vac method..

Old Sequoia had the Fumoto and Sonata also. Never had issues. Sequoia pretty much had to drop skid plate every time to access the filter but it was setup to be pretty easy.

The only thing I like about removing the drain plugs is to clean the magnets and see how much or how little junk is on them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts