Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for oil drain valve recommendations. Good or bad experience to share?

I change fluids myself and considering installing in my cars including 2011 Pilot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,266 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I put a Fumoto drain valve on my '15 and our '14 Traverse. Love it, won't ever go back.

Reactions: Pdaddy

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,835 Posts
One drawback I see to the Fumoto valve is that it becomes the low point on the oil pan, which might not turn out well when you run over debris on the road.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
One drawback I see to the Fumoto valve is that it becomes the low point on the oil pan, which might not turn out well when you run over debris on the road.
Especially if you do some offroading with the occasional rock jutting out, or try parking on a wintry street whose once soft snow has gone ice hard in vain anticipation of a long overdue city snow removal operation.

Oil plug Crush washer shiny side in or flat mat side ?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
It's a good thing the second gen pilot (mine) has the drain plug on the back of the pan, so it is not the low point and would take an incredibly well placed rock (if I ever went off road) to damage it.

Same situation with the Traverse. My classic Impala has the drain plug pointing straight down from the bottom of the pan so it does not have a drain valve.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,266 Posts

Especially if you do some offroading with the occasional rock jutting out, or try parking on a wintry street whose once soft snow has gone ice hard in vain anticipation of a long overdue city snow removal operation.

Oil plug Crush washer shiny side in or flat mat side ?

Especially if your going off road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I skeptically installed the Fumoto valve on my 15 SE nearly two years ago and it has been a perfect addition. While I generally pull up on my RhinoGear ramps to change oil, I've had a few times where I didn't even raise the vehicle, ok after I lost a few pounds. Screwing in the adapter piece with attached hose makes for very little mess on drainage. The cap that seals the valve seems to be holding up very well to the elements. I would strongly recommend one for anyone interested. Been wanting to get one for my wife's 11 Subaru Forester, but it won't be long before she upgrades, so maybe we'll wait.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
The only downside I can think of is if you wanted to install a magnetic drain plug. But I've heard of people sticking/gluing them to the pan near the drain plug and removing them as the oil starts draining to wash metal particles out. I've also heard of attaching them to the oil filter to trap metal particles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts