Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since doing research on oil filters, I am starting to get a lot of ads for not only oil filters but oil filter can openers that look like giant pipe cutters. The marketing propaganda tries to convince you that opening your used oil filters is a good idea to inspect for metal particles and whatever else might be banging around in your engine like missing sockets, dropped screws and those elusive crush washers. There are certainly enough you tube videos opening new oil filters so my curiousity there is satisfied.

But rather than adding another step to good engine maintenance, I'm wondering why there isn't just a magnet on the oil drain plug like there is on the ATF drain plug. Maybe because they know no one would buy an ATF filter can opener? If oil drain plugs are available, does anyone use them and where do you get them?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I have an aftermarket one on my 08.
I think I got it at Advance Auto.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Found this online:

Link didn't work- deleted.

Look below at another's post for a good link.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I have considered it but I'm running a Fumoto drain valve and will never go back.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oil pan is made of steel, so it will become magnetized. Having large surface, an advantage, it would trap dust first before dust can reach magnet drain bolt. In the case of AT, bellhousing and pan are made of aluminum die cast, it won't become magnetized, those drain bolts make sense.

But, cylinder and piston, crankcase are made/sleeved/coated with die cast/aluminum. Is dust metal? No? Yes? Maybe? Well, oil filter works better.

Tempted, but no.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oil pan is made of steel, so it will become magnetized. Having large surface, an advantage, it would trap dust first before dust can reach magnet drain bolt. In the case of AT, bellhousing and pan are made of aluminum die cast, it won't become magnetized, those drain bolts make sense.

But, cylinder and piston, crankcase are made/sleeved/coated with die cast/aluminum. Is dust metal? No? Yes? Maybe? Well, oil filter works better.

Tempted, but no.
I'm pretty sure at least the J35 series engines like the one in my 2012 Pilot have cast iron sleeves and steel rings. The cams and bearings are steel as well I believe. If true, most of the friction generating moving parts are cooled and washed by the oil, no? yes?

Some of the magnetic oil drain plugs are aluminum with a magnet on the end. That might prevent the pan itself from becoming magnetized, but I'm not keen on aluminum threads or a glued/press fit magnet in a faster expanding aluminum plug.

If the pan does become permanently magnetized by the plug, the steel dust will be captured there, well permanently. Or if temporarily while the plug is in, then it is released when the plug is removed to drain the oil, no? yes?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Guys, sorry my one link I quickly c&p'd while at work yesterday didn't work.
Seriously, I bought mine at Advance Auto, or maybe it was AutoZone when the head of my OEM drain bolt stripped.
They had a replacement with the magnet- I got that one. Pretty much always stays clean too.
the OEM magnet on my ATF drain was very clean on my 4th d&f in the last 2-3 months.

Go online, or call your favorite Auto parts place and ask about it.

I even have a 1st oversize drain plug, for when my 08's threads finally let go.
I"ll use the 1st oversize. Auto Zone. They have a 2ns oversized one too!
I havene't needed the 1st oversize - yet.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, sorry my one link I quickly c&p'd while at work yesterday didn't work.
Seriously, I bought mine at Advance Auto, or maybe it was AutoZone when the head of my OEM drain bolt stripped.
They had a replacement with the magnet- I got that one. Pretty much always stays clean too.
the OEM magnet on my ATF drain was very clean on my 4th d&f in the last 2-3 months.
No problem, I found a Dorman magnetic plug at Advance Auto. Here's the link if you want to edit yours.

Dorman - Autograde Magnetic Transmission Drain Plug M18x1.50 65406: Advance Auto Parts

Glad to hear your replacement magnetic oil drain plug stays clean. I wouldn't expect it to attract the amount of stuff the ATF drain plug does since there is no metallic clutch plate material wearing away in the engine. So maybe it's not worth getting a magnetic oil plug. But then again .... "It wouldn't hurt." (would it?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts