Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like kind of an odd problem. I've seen posts about -stuck- dipsticks.. In my case I can't get it to go all the way in. There are two rubber rings on the ornage handle piece, can't even get those in, like its blocked.
Anyone else have this issue?
Its been like this for a while now. I never really thought much of it as I never check the oil levels - I just always do very regular oil changes..

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Seems like kind of an odd problem. I've seen posts about -stuck- dipsticks.. In my case I can't get it to go all the way in. There are two rubber rings on the ornage handle piece, can't even get those in, like its blocked.
Anyone else have this issue?
Its been like this for a while now. I never really thought much of it as I never check the oil levels - I just always do very regular oil changes..
What ever you do, don't force it in because it might not come back out. The dipstick handle has likely swelled or near breaking. I'd buy the Dorman replacement.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
You could try putting a little oil on the O rings to see if they just needed a little lube, but definitely don't force it.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You could try putting a little oil on the O rings to see if they just needed a little lube, but definitely don't force it.
🤔 They are usually very oily since they exist in an oily environment. Especially since oil usually comes up from the pan on the "Oil Dipstick."

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
🤔 They are usually very oily since they exist in an oily environment. Especially since oil usually comes up from the pan on the "Oil Dipstick."
C'mon man!

The OP said the dipstick is not getting past the rubber O rings at the top... the whole point of the rubber O rings is to keep oil from getting above them and escaping out of the engine, so it stands to reason they are not coated in oil. I usually give the O rings a quick lube at some point when I get some oil on my hands.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
C'mon man!

The OP said the dipstick is not getting past the rubber O rings at the top... the whole point of the rubber O rings is to keep oil from getting above them and escaping out of the engine, so it stands to reason they are not coated in oil. I usually give the O rings a quick lube at some point when I get some oil on my hands.
🤔 My O rings stay pretty oily by checking the oil. 😉

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
🤔 My O rings stay pretty oily by checking the oil. 😉
I was going to bring up your "shop rags" again but decided against it.

Either way, it doesn't hurt to give it a try since it's free before buying new parts. Takes 10 seconds to do.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Still, 16 bucks for a new dipstick is a small price to pay to avoid the world of pain which is a stuck dipstick.

And you can save the wear and tear on your shop rags. :D

Oil Dipstick stuck

Oil dipstick completely stuck

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Still, 16 bucks for a new dipstick is a small price to pay to avoid the world of pain which is a stuck dipstick.

And you can save the wear and tear on your shop rags. :D

Oil Dipstick stuck

Oil dipstick completely stuck

I never knew this could happen. Ever since I read the stories about this subject, I pull gently and as straight of center as I can. Never thought checking the oil could cause such grief.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
try to twist the handle while pushing in the dipstick.. it gets stuck right at the O -rings

1 - 13 of 13 Posts