Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil today and added 4 qts but the oil did not register on dipstick. Then I remembered the last time I changed the oil the same happened and I added 5 courts for it to register 3/4 full. Now I know I overfilled because the dipstick does not go all the way in. I push but no dice. It only goes to the first rubber O-ring. The dipstick is not bent in any way and the only thing different from normal is I replaced with a Fumoto valve 4 yrs ago. There's no indication of loss of oil pressure. What could be blocking the dipstick from inserting fully? And not sure if this is causing my PCM engine codes for P060A and P2610.
Room Rock

·
Registered
60 Posts
The oem dipstick/o-ring swells, etc..over time and you're actually lucky it is not fully seated in the tube or you might brake it off getting it out. Then you'd have to fish it out or drop the oil pan. You're probably ok as is but I'd just pick up a dorman 917-387 dipstick ($20ish) whenever you're out and about. Don't get a genuine Honda one again as the issue will repeat itself in time.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
As @Soccerrplyr said... Buy a new Dorman dipstick.
You will want to clean and pre-lube the opening of your dipstick tube before inserting the new one.

Reactions: pilot2009

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The O-rings look ok but that's a good possibility because it does stop right at the O-ring. I'll try removing the rings to see if the dipstick inserts fully without them.
Product

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
The O-rings look ok but that's a good possibility because it does stop right at the O-ring. I'll try removing the rings to see if the dipstick inserts fully without them. View attachment 139041
It's important that your dipstick seals in the tube for vacuum purposes. If it's the O rings that are preventing the insertion, you may be able to replace them. I'd clean the tube and proceed with caution. A broke off dipstick is hard to retrieve and will cost way more than a new one.

Reactions: Sha93 and pilot2009

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to fully insert after I lubed the O-rings and gave a twist and firm push. Someone else mentioned that there might be rust build up so if that's the case not sure what could be done about that. New O-rings or the Dorman dipstick won't help.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I was able to fully insert after I lubed the O-rings and gave a twist and firm push. Someone else mentioned that there might be rust build up so if that's the case not sure what could be done about that. New O-rings or the Dorman dipstick won't help.
I would not twist or give a firm push. It's a nightmare if it breaks.
I'd try to clean the tube.
The VVT solenoid assembly and spool would have to be replaced if you want a new tube. This requires that the intake manifold, valve cover and rocker arm assembly to be removed.

Reactions: pilot2009 and Sha93

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not twist or give a firm push. It's a nightmare if it breaks.
I'd try to clean the tube.
The VVT solenoid assembly and spool would have to be replaced if you want a new tube. This requires that the intake manifold, valve cover and rocker arm assembly to be removed.
View attachment 139042
Interesting reads. I'll try vaseline, and when reinserting I'll try pushing down at the base of the handle and not at the top of the loop to avoid an off-angle push.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts