Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Any chance of a play by play pic show on removing the parts?
My V6 was leaking oil out below the dip stick so I did a complete job on my VVT solinoids and spool. There are YouTube videos on how to replace our valve cover gaskets. I followed the video that requires removing the intake manifold. Once you get the valve cover off, the VVT solenoids come off. Then remove rocker arm bolts and spool bolts. The spool is stuck to the head with Honda Bond adhesive. Gently lift the rocker arms and spool up together. The spool slips off the two oil tubes of the rocker arm assembly. Clean old adhesive off.
I replaced all gaskets that were involved so as not to have any leaks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 2011 Pilot. However, half of the plastic handle is still stuck in the dipstick tube...so the dipstick has not fallen down into the oil pan yet. I have tried all the tricks above with no luck...it is really stuck. Is it possible that the oil dipstick tube can be removed relatively easily? If so, I can replace the tube and the dipstick for about $30. I really just need to know how much work it is to get the dipstick tube out of the engine.
Thanks
On this model, the dipstick tube is pressed into the spool and is not replaceable part alone. Honda OEM or Aftermarket available.
I know older model Honda V6 have a different configuration. There's always the junkyard if you don't want to pay for new.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How far down is it in the tube? Is it close enough to drill a pilot hole and put a 3" course thread sheetrock screw in? It's how I got mine out and it was pushed in about an inch.

·
Registered
704 Posts
How far down is it in the tube? Is it close enough to drill a pilot hole and put a 3" course thread sheetrock screw in? It's how I got mine out and it was pushed in about an inch.
If only inch down, you could reach in with these needle-nose pliers made by Kobalt. But yeah, please explain further about where you drilled a hole and screw procedure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If only inch down, you could reach in with these needle-nose pliers made by Kobalt. But yeah, please explain further about where you drilled a hole and screw procedure.
In my case it sheared off in a way that there was nothing to grab onto - completely flat top even with the top of the tube. I tried needle-nose pliers and that's how it got pushed down an inch (maybe two).

There's quite a bit of plastic surrounding and attached to the metal portion of the dipstick (that goes down into the pan). I drilled a thin pilot hole offset just a bit from dead center to reduce risk of running into the metal portion. After that was done, I sprayed a bit of wd-40 to lube the walls of the dipstick tube and carefully screwed a long coarse thread (for better grab) drywall screw through the pilot hole. I grabbed the head of the screw with pliers and tapped the pliers from underneath with a small kid-size hammer (but anything with a little weight will do). It slowly tapped right out along with any plastic shavings from the drill bit.

By the way, the OEM replacement does NOT fit. It's super, super tight and will just cause the same problem again. After reading some reviews on Amazon, I bought the Dorman equivalent and it fit PERFECTLY. Not too tight, not too loose - just right :).

·
Registered
704 Posts
In my case it sheared off in a way that there was nothing to grab onto - completely flat top even with the top of the tube. I tried needle-nose pliers and that's how it got pushed down an inch (maybe two).

There's quite a bit of plastic surrounding and attached to the metal portion of the dipstick (that goes down into the pan). I drilled a thin pilot hole offset just a bit from dead center to reduce risk of running into the metal portion. After that was done, I sprayed a bit of wd-40 to lube the walls of the dipstick tube and carefully screwed a long coarse thread (for better grab) drywall screw through the pilot hole. I grabbed the head of the screw with pliers and tapped the pliers from underneath with a small kid-size hammer (but anything with a little weight will do). It slowly tapped right out along with any plastic shavings from the drill bit.

By the way, the OEM replacement does NOT fit. It's super, super tight and will just cause the same problem again. After reading some reviews on Amazon, I bought the Dorman equivalent and it fit PERFECTLY. Not too tight, not too loose - just right :).
Nice!
Before drilling a hole in the broke plastic, could you possibly wedge it by putting a bit or screw down the side to hold it?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Drop the oil pan and you will see the dipstick sitting there .. plain and simple

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
^^^ This! ^^^

I speculate that you can pull that spool valve assembly off, with the dipstick still stuck in the tube. Break the dipstick plastic and drive it out of the tube. Put the valve back on, and install your new dipstick. It's probably OK to enlarge the short tube section WHILE IT'S OFF very slightly with a drill or reamer to take care of any interference issues with the new dipstick.

·
Registered
704 Posts
^^^ This! ^^^

I speculate that you can pull that spool valve assembly off, with the dipstick still stuck in the tube. Break the dipstick plastic and drive it out of the tube. Put the valve back on, and install your new dipstick. It's probably OK to enlarge the short tube section WHILE IT'S OFF very slightly with a drill or reamer to take care of any interference issues with the new dipstick.
Yes, but we are in hopes of being able to tap out the dipstick without having to remove the spool which also requires removing the rocker arm assembly.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
😂 Take out the oil plug, hook up a compressor, charge to about 200 lbs and just shoot it out. 😂
Incoming!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Ok experts... Why are there two different o-ring materials/colors on the dipstick? (had to go make sure mine wasn't stuck...)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice!
Before drilling a hole in the broke plastic, could you possibly wedge it by putting a bit or screw down the side to hold it?
Looking back - there are at least a few things I could have done differently and gotten it out I think. While it was still even with the top of the tube, I could have carefully drilled just like a little dimple along the edge so I could get a thin pick in there and lever it up and out, for example.

I think method will vary by individual situation - has it sunk completely, is it visible but not exposed, is it peeking over the top of the tube, etc. Human ingenuity knows no limits. Where there's a will, there's a way. Worst case, drop the pan.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Let me add one more thing...

At this point I think it's been well established that the dipstick on this generation of Pilots and other Honda vehicles of similar vintage are prone to getting stuck as they age due to prolonged temperature cycling. A replacement is very reasonable priced and would be cheap insurance. If you are planning on holding on to the car for a while spend the $28 (full retail price - likely much less) for a replacement and put it out of your mind for the next 5+ years.

Dorman 917-387

·
Registered
704 Posts
Let me add one more thing...

At this point I think it's been well established that the dipstick on this generation of Pilots and other Honda vehicles of similar vintage are prone to getting stuck as they age due to prolonged temperature cycling. A replacement is very reasonable priced and would be cheap insurance. If you are planning on holding on to the car for a while spend the $28 (full retail price - likely much less) for a replacement and put it out of your mind for the next 5+ years.

Dorman 917-387
I might total it the next day and loose $28. :p

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I might total it the next day and loose $28. :p
Make sure it’s the other drivers fault and include that $28 bucks into the damage report

21 - 40 of 41 Posts