Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! What started out as a small problem resulted in a much larger issue. Basically, my oil dipstick handle broke, leaving the metal wire and plastic inside the tube. I then tried the YouTube suggestions to drill a hole through it and all that did was push it deeper into the tube. I tried using JBWeld to attach it to a piece of plastic but the JBWeld wont grab hold due to the oil residue. I thought dropping the oil pan would be easy on the pilot but it would require to dismantle the exhaust pipe and other pieces to just access the pan. The oil dipstick tube looks like its part of the front spool and can not be simply retrieved by removing the front valve cover. I really don't want to start replacing these factory seals on a relatively new car (less than 60k miles). PLEASE help!!!! I've tried to find instructions on how to remove just the dipstick tube but there is nothing out there. Apparently this is a very common problem now on Hondas. :confused:

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also tried creating a vacuum in the tube so to pull it out through suction, but that didn't work. I've tried using a magnet too but that didn't work either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
IMO dealer asap. If the tube cannot be unscrewed, then you will need to take things apart. I don't know how far in, but it I could see the end, I might have tried to glue the two pieces together in place and pull.... but in thinking about it, if the original broke, so would this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think that the oil pan has to come off in this scenario. It seems like you've already pushed it down. I'd personally cut my losses and pull the oil pan. Hopefully you don't have to do anything with the CV axles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Its sitting in the cam area just below the tube. I would say just below the front spool. Im not familiar with this engine layout and cant find how to disassemble the front spool. I've taken the front valve cover off but the engine layout is so strange! The #4 valve has some sort of spring like thing on top and i'm really don't want to touch it. I thought like every other honda engine the valve cover removal should have been enough to access the hole for the dipstick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here you can see the front spool on the left (the tube attached to the front spool) and you can see that on the #4 cylinder there is a spring something attached on top which I think I need to remove in order to remove the front spool valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with a 2011 Pilot. I was all ready to drop the oil pan and had picked up the gasket compound from the dealer when the parts guy spoke to a mechanic who suggested going through the top end like rejectbaby was doing above. In the process I ended up pushing the dipstick all the way into the engine. Good news is that the dipstick will end up in the oil pan and with some long narrow tweezers you can retrieve the dipstick through the oil drain hole. Of course if you decide to go this route you will be committed to getting it out through the oil pan one way or the other.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with a 2011 Pilot. I was all ready to drop the oil pan and had picked up the gasket compound from the dealer when the parts guy spoke to a mechanic who suggested going through the top end like rejectbaby was doing above. In the process I ended up pushing the dipstick all the way into the engine. Good news is that the dipstick will end up in the oil pan and with some long narrow tweezers you can retrieve the dipstick through the oil drain hole. Of course if you decide to go this route you will be committed to getting it out through the oil pan one way or the other.
I am having a similar problem with my 2011 Pilot. However, half of the plastic handle is still stuck in the dipstick tube...so the dipstick has not fallen down into the oil pan yet. I have tried all the tricks above with no luck...it is really stuck. Is it possible that the oil dipstick tube can be removed relatively easily? If so, I can replace the tube and the dipstick for about $30. I really just need to know how much work it is to get the dipstick tube out of the engine.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh man, I'm having the exact same issue with my 2010 Pilot. Dip stick handle broke, the remains are pushed down and I've tried all the tricks. Would anyone have a Haynes book they're willing to reference for us on the possible removal of the dip stick tube?

·
Registered
704 Posts
If the stick is still in the tube, you can secure it from falling further by removing the VVT solenoid and spool assembly. It will require removing the rocker arm assembly. You will need to buy a new spool gasket and some Honda Bond (I use black Permatex). This photo is with spool and rocker arms removed. You must remove rocker arms to slip the spool off the 2 oil tubes on the end of the rocker arms.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If the dipstick tube is pressed into the spool valve module just pull the spool valve module. Tons of how-tos on that since spool valve gasket failure is pretty common on J35s.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If the stick is still in the tube, you can secure it from falling further by removing the VVT solenoid and spool assembly. It will require removing the rocker arm assembly. You will need to buy a new spool gasket and some Honda Bond (I use black Permatex). This photo is with spool and rocker arms removed. You must remove rocker arms to slip the spool off the 2 oil tubes on the end of the rocker arms.
View attachment 134934
I'm quoting myself to say again that I know this will make it where you can grab the stick from the bottom of the tube if it stays stuck in it. If the stick falls completely through the tube, I have no idea how far it will go, or if it's retrievable from the top. If it fell to the bottom of the pan it "MAY" be okay to leave it there and buy you a new stick. Someone here may be able to answer that question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So
If the dipstick tube is pressed into the spool valve module just pull the spool valve module. Tons of how-tos on that since spool valve gasket failure is pretty common on J35s.
How would I know if the tube is pressed into place? Does anyone here have any experience pulling one out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 134934
Any chance of a play by play pic show on removing the parts?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts