Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
How common is this issue - to the point you need new rings?

I have often noticed that our 2011 pilot will consume .5 to 1 qt of oil in between changes, which is around ever 9000 miles per the oil life sensor. We use 5w20 mobil 1 and I do the changes myself. Engine has 90k on the ticker.

That level of oil consumption does not bother me. What bothers me is the thought that some people are reporting having a much bigger issue later in the vehicle's life. We planned on keeping this for a while longer, but with the class action lawsuit, it will be out of warranty in early 2019.

Should I be concerned? Or if it made it this long without much issue, just figure it wont get any worse?

·
Registered
109 Posts
PCV hard to install? DIY? Seems like this and the VCMuzzler II make a big impact. I'm a new "used" Pilot owner (2011 EXL w/RES - 86K miles). Drove a previous Odyssey to 220K but always had ECO kicking in. Want to take advantage of other people's learning since I'm driving a used vehicle.
Very easy. Watch the video below and notice the VCM V6 location. The video shows both VCM and non-VCM location in a diagram, while the actual replacement is on a non-VCM engine.

It is located at the driver side front corner for the VCM engine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
After that last oil change, I noted a similar slow decrease in oil under it was at the minimum on the dipstick when the MM was at 15%. That was about 6,000 miles. Took it to dealer and asked them to check seals for signs of any leaks - none were noted. Seems to keep burning a small amount which they were not concerned with. Oil was changed and now above max line again. Will monitor until the next change.
Forgot to log the oil loss before the last oil change in late January 2018. It was similar to past oil changes, the oil decreased to the min line by the MM came up at 15% left.

However since this last oil change in late January, I have noticed the rate of decrease increasing. There was a more highway driving in March and early April than we normally see thanks to two road trips. During my previous dipstick check in early March before the first road trip, the remaining oil was above the minimum line about a third of the way towards maximum IIRC. But after two road trips in the past 6 weeks, the oil level has actually dropped below the minimum line. Today, there was still oil visible on the nub on the tip of the dipstick and the MM was showing 30% left (a little over 6k since last oil change).

So for the first time in 9 years and ~132k miles, I had to add a quart of oil to make it to the next oil change. And as luck would have it Target has 5w20 Mobil1 synthetic on sale for $4.47/qt. After adding a quart, now the dipstick shows oil a little more than halfway up between min/max. I will note how much is left when the time for the next oil change comes around.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2016 EXL that is about a quart low. Going to fill with Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 today.

About 2500 miles into about a 6000 mile interval. Total miles on car 20500.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm looking at a 2001 Touring, this is concerning, I'm going to send a PM to the knowledgeable VCM muzzler Thread starter.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
121 - 130 of 130 Posts